iowncrazyhair

Derrick White 2018-2019 Season Outlook

Dejounte Murray has been diagnosed with a torn ACL in his right knee.

Brutal news. Murray's fantasy stock was on the rise as he was expected to take a major leap forward running the Spurs offense. The Spurs say a timeline for Murray's return will be set at a later date, but he can safely be ruled out for the entirety of the 2018-19 campaign. With the Lonnie Walker (knee) also sidelined, San Antonio is now dealing with a lack of depth in their backcourt. Unless the Spurs make a trade, Derrick White, Patty Mills and Bryn Forbes will divvy up minutes at point guard. The biggest beneficiary is likely White, as he now leaps onto the fantasy radar and is certainly worth a roster spot in all leagues.

Looks like he has the upside at the point position of the team now

Posted (edited)

This kid has game but I don't think he will be fantasy relevant unless you play in 14+ team leagues this year. Even with Murray out the Spurs still have 2 more guards - Mills and Forbes - who have similar skill set.  Let's say somehow he stands out so much and earns 30 minutes, which is unlikely on the Spurs, he will still be the 4th option. The best case scenario for him is 28 mins, 10 points, 4 rebs, 3 asts, 2 threes, and 1.5 STOCKs (he will get blocks as a guard because of his size). 

Edited by bballshinobi
typo
  • Like 1

I had Murray as one of my late round picks. I jumped on his bandwagon last year based on the hype and ended up cutting him pretty fast. So I was hoping he was going to pan out this year. Now I hear White is is replacement. And I don't know anything about him.

This optimism for White is based on his summer league performance?? It sounds like he was great this summer on the offensive side.  How is his defense?? It seems like you don't get minutes from Pop unless you can handle the defensive side. 

I'm looking at his preseason stats and they look pretty underwhelming.

Derrick White Game-by-Game Stats

Season:  Select2018-20192017-2018
2018-2019 PRESEASON GAME LOG
DATE OPP SCORE MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
Sun 10/7 L 93-108 18 0-7 .000 0-4 .000 2-2 1.000 1 0 1 0 2 2 2
Fri 10/5 W 117-93 17 3-6 .500 0-1 .000 2-2 1.000 3 3 0 0 2 0 8
Sun 9/30 W 104-100 18 5-9 .556 1-2 .500 1-1 1.000 4 2 1 1 2 2 12

This is encouraging from Pop:

Pop has praised White throughout camp. "He’s a really steady player," Popovich said earlier this month. "He’s a good shooter, makes good decisions. He’s a good passer." 

• Like 1

Our league had draft after midnight in European time (afternoon at America) and one unlucky manager drafted Murray in 6th round. News of injury were already spread but he didn't know how serious it is. But in last round one clever manager managed to pick Derrick White. Although this pick could not be worth if White is not fantasy relevant for 12 team league as it was said.

I grabbed him in my 16 team league. Not expecting too much, but in a 16 team league there isn't much to choose from. 

He had a really nice summer league game in utah

Realize it's just summer league but he looked to be playing with confidence. But doesn't appear to have a huge impact other than in PTS and 3PTM

25 minutes ago, DM45 said:

He had a really nice summer league game in utah

Realize it's just summer league but he looked to be playing with confidence. But doesn't appear to have a huge impact other than in PTS and 3PTM

I am just shaking my head at how the guy at 2:05 didn't cut to the basket :blink:

I think he might be a George Hill type of player, not an assist machine but a pretty versatile game.  Maybe something like 12 points 5 assists 1.8 3 PM 1 stl .5 blk.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

I think he might be a George Hill type of player, not an assist machine but a pretty versatile game.  Maybe something like 12 points 5 assists 1.8 3 PM 1 stl .5 blk.

George Hill comparison is pretty good. They are both tall guards who play good defense and can knock down 3pt shot. They won't be your primary playmakers but can make good decisions after the ball is swung to them. 

George Hill averaged about 28-29 mins during his last 2 years with the Spurs and averaged about 12 points, 2.6 rebs, 2.75 assists. That should be the ceiling for Derrick White this season (not because of talent, but because of PT opportunity)

A .667FG%/1.000%FT/15PTS/6REB/3AST/1STL/2BLK line tonight.  Did anyone watch the game? If so, other than the line how did he look out there?

Looking like a perfect punt assists PG. I think he can get 1.8-2.2 stocks which would really raise his value. Plus playing off Aldridge, Pau and Demar will give him so many open looks. I’m excited. 

Edited by subliminal
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, subliminal said:

Looking like a perfect punt assists PG. I think he can get 1.8-2.2 stocks which would really raise his value. Plus playing off Aldridge, Pau and Demar will give him so many open looks. I’m excited. 

I am punting assists and was thinking the exact same thing. Yeah boy. Starting PGS don't grow on trees.

2 hours ago, subliminal said:

Way optimistic on stocks prediction lol.

34 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

He averaged 2.6 stocks (1.2 stl and 1.4 blks) in college and is 6'5" with a 6'8" wingspan. It appears he has the length and instincts and the mins are there for him. It is not beyond the realm of possibility. Nice elevation and stroke on that Jimmy too. I think if you want a PG now is the time to grab him because he'll be departing FA pools real fast in the next week or so

Edited by Jake the snake
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

He just needs 1.1 stls and 0.7 blks to get there and he looks like a guy that gets both wherever he has played.

• Like 1

Will be targeting him aggressively - I think he’s in play after pick 100 if you need a punt assist PG and went big heavy during the early rounds. Sucks for Dejounte but White should be hungry to prove that he belongs in the league and now is his time to shine. 

Do you reckon Derrick White is worth taking over guys like Trey Burke or Patrick Beverley? 

37 minutes ago, Jonno26 said:

Do you reckon Derrick White is worth taking over guys like Trey Burke or Patrick Beverley? 

Absolutely - clearer path to minutes. 

• Like 2

Rozier vs Beverly vs Lin Vs White. The only PGs left on my waiver, Derrick White is a no brainer?

19 minutes ago, bennyschilty said:

Rozier vs Beverly vs Lin Vs White. The only PGs left on my waiver, Derrick White is a no brainer?

White. Beverley is a close second for me. We haven't seen whites upside yet.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bennyschilty said:

Bev also a punt ast PG and he's so injured prone. Rozier is better suit as Kyrie's handcuff. Go get White. 

1 hour ago, sickrookie said:

Bev also a punt ast PG and he's so injured prone. Rozier is better suit as Kyrie's handcuff. Go get White. 

Like both White and Rozier, but the bolded part is not true.  Rozier is considered Boston's "6th starter" and will still get 26-28 minutes because he will play alongside Irving.

Edited by El_Chingon