fawkes_mulder

Rajon Rondo 2018-2019 Season Outlook

Surprised there is no thread for this already. Rondo is the "starting" PG for the Lakers while Lonzo Ball gets up to speed in his recovery from knee surgery. Some speculation on my part, but I imagine the starting job will eventually go back to Lonzo. Even so, I'm sure Rondo will probably play 25+ minutes per night with some nights in the mid 30s. 

Lebron and Ball are ball dominant guys, but Rondo always seems to find a way to grab boards and assists. Worth a look in punt points builds as someone who has a realistic shot of averaging 7 assists, 1-1.5 steals, 4 rebounds (and probably less than 10 points).

2 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

Surprised there is no thread for this already. Rondo is the "starting" PG for the Lakers while Lonzo Ball gets up to speed in his recovery from knee surgery. Some speculation on my part, but I imagine the starting job will eventually go back to Lonzo. Even so, I'm sure Rondo will probably play 25+ minutes per night with some nights in the mid 30s. 

Lebron and Ball are ball dominant guys, but Rondo always seems to find a way to grab boards and assists. Worth a look in punt points builds as someone who has a realistic shot of averaging 7 assists, 1-1.5 steals, 4 rebounds (and probably less than 10 points).

Not accurate. Lonzo Ball is one of the least ball-dominant players in the league. He ranked #163 in usage among guards last year. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kaboom said:

Not accurate. Lonzo Ball is one of the least ball-dominant players in the league. He ranked #163 in usage among guards last year. 

Thanks for the correction. I worded it very poorly, but my concern is whether the assists and rebounds will wash out some between lebron, rondo, and lonzo. Ultimately I think it will work.

• Like 1

Rondo is one of those guys who is ignored every season.

And every season he puts up something around 9/5/9 with a steal.

His FG% is a +, and he doesn't take enough FTs for the percentage to hurt you.

Considering dropping Lamb for him..

Im keeping, lebron brought him to the organization for  reason, and watching last night highlights he was aggressivein driving to the rim and made life easy for everyone arouns him

Rondo defies expectations every year. His BBIQ and court vision are just too elite to keep him off the court, and he's a perfect secondary playmaker to Bron. He's definitely going to eat into a lot of Lonzo's usage/value this year. Definitely worth rostering and might even give you mid-round value with assists, steals and boards from the guard position.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fabrar said:

Rondo defies expectations every year. His BBIQ and court vision are just too elite to keep him off the court, and he's a perfect secondary playmaker to Bron. He's definitely going to eat into a lot of Lonzo's usage/value this year. Definitely worth rostering and might even give you mid-round value with assists, steals and boards from the guard position.

I don't see lonzo cutting into rondos time, as stupid RW suggests. Even kenny was pointing out last night after rondo huddled with lebron and then rondo went to every team mate duringthe free throw play that rondo commands respect on the team 

Last night was encouraging. He looked to have a command of the offense. Him and McGee have good chemistry it seems as well. I was thrilled when he fell to #134 in my Roto league, as I think he'll rank higher than that, given the uncertainty that Ball brings, with his injury history and offensive deficiencies, as evidenced last night. He's a walking double double, can contribute in the REB's department well for a PG, gets over 1 steal a game, his 3PT stroke has improved (he was the first Laker to hit one last night), he won't hurt you FG% wise, and his FT% is overblown, as he took less than 1 a game last year. His TO's are a bit high, but I drafted a team of low TO players, so I'm not sweating that, given all the other intangibles he brings to the table. I'm bullish on his ROS outlook. 

Got him on my last pick in a 14 team h2h league. Not gonna lie, I'm extremely surprised on how good he is, might be a better fit than Lonzo.

36 minutes ago, aijuswanaseing said:

Is 12/4/10 with 1 three and 1.5 spg a sustainable average for Rondo this season?

I'd say 9/4/9 with something like 0.8 threes and 1spg is more realistic. 

He's only gotten 12+ ppg three times in thirteen years and I don't see him scoring at a career-high clip this year.  Everything else should be typical Rondo.

I snagged him and am sticking him on my bench for 2 reasons: 1) John Wall insurance 2) Lots of teams in my roto league need an assists guy and I'm playing keepaway

Edited by alexstr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, alexstr said:

I'd say 9/4/9 with something like 0.8 threes and 1spg is more realistic. 

He's only gotten 12+ ppg three times in thirteen years and I don't see him scoring a lot this year.  Everything else should be typical Rondo.

I snagged him and am keeping him on my bench for 2 reasons: 1) John Wall insurance 2) Lots of teams in my roto league need an assists guy and I'm playing keepaway

I'm completely fine with that stat line as well. Lakers have really been pushing the pace so maybe I got a little excited with the ppg. This team seems like it's going to run more than all of Rondo's previous teams.

I was able to stash him in my IL because Yahoo gave him INJ status and he was on wire because I guess everyone in my league thought his first game was a fluke.

Ecstatic that I was able to got him since I've also got John Wall on my team. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, aijuswanaseing said:

I'm completely fine with that stat line as well. Lakers have really been pushing the pace so maybe I got a little excited with the ppg. This team seems like it's going to run more than all of Rondo's previous teams.

I was able to stash him in my IL because Yahoo gave him INJ status and he was on wire because I guess everyone in my league thought his first game was a fluke.

Ecstatic that I was able to got him since I've also got John Wall on my team. 

giddy too that i got him off waivers. jokic and his bff chris paul will make my team strong at ast.

• Like 2

I have no idea why Yahoo would give him an INJ tag. Toke full advantage of that. 

19 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

I have no idea why Yahoo would give him an INJ tag. Toke full advantage of that. 

Same here. He's a hold at this point, especially with the uncertainty surrounding Ball. 

Edited by SnackilleOatmeal

11 minutes ago, SnackilleOatmeal said:

Same here. He's a hold at this point, especially with the uncertainty surrounding Ball. 

Ball is the better player obviously, but not better with this roster make-up that LeBron put together.

• Like 1