Sign in to follow this  
gbill2004

Niles Paul 2018 Outlook

This guy was once an up-and-coming projected stud, but went through some injuries.  He's now Jacksonville's number 1 TE with ASJ on IR.  He had 7 receptions for 65 yards on 9 targets this past Sunday.   Guy might have some value this season with how shallow the TE position is.  Thoughts on Niles ROS?  

story time, featuring my Niles Paul "CSB/Vent & Rant" hybrid heartache yarn ...

... so was a few years ago, and Reed (surprisingly enough) went down with injury.  Paul was having himself a nice little run even with Reed healthy, so, was a complete no-brainer to pluck Niles of the ww to alleviate my TE woes. 

was a Monday night game, and Paul put up a robust 3/65 in the first qtr alone - i needed 17 pts to win, so i was well on my way.  kid was freakin' beasting. 

first series of the second qtr - he breaks his leg.  last i ever heard of him. 

until now.

22 hours ago, krest509 said:

A stud when giving the chance  didn’t know he was still in then nfl 

Yep this guy is uber talented. He's really falling under the radar. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gbill2004 said:

Yep this guy is uber talented. He's really falling under the radar. 

I’m streaming him this week over the rest of the garbage on the WW. He has as good a chance as any to catch a TD. Cowboys can be had by the TE.

29 minutes ago, mdw5048 said:

I’m streaming him this week over the rest of the garbage on the WW. He has as good a chance as any to catch a TD. Cowboys can be had by the TE.

I'm bullish on Paul. 

uh- no.

This dude is living on borrowed time, has never been worthy of owning and never will. 

He will crumple to the ground and leave the game the instant a "hard" tackle is made.

• Like 1

Some things to consider regarding last week's performance to keep it in perspective:

- he got 9 targets, but Bortles also threw the ball a whopping 61 times. 

- O'Shaughnessy basically had a 50% snap share, also had 6 targets, and is the only one of the pair that can block. 

- Weeks 1-4 with ASJ healthy he only averaged about 5 targets a game. If Paul and O'Shaughnessy see a similar workload split going forward, but with only 5-6 targets to share, Paul's usefulness in fantasy could really take a hit. 

Not saying he's not worth a flier or stream given the TE landscape, but I'd temper expectations. 

• Like 1

If you're going to stream a TE, at least pick one with a decent QB. 

1 hour ago, smeeze said:

If you're going to stream a TE, at least pick one with a decent QB. 

This is pretty far down the list of reasons I would use against streaming Paul.  Bortles might not be a "good" QB, but he's 11th in the league with 1,525 passing yards.  That's more than Mahomes, Rivers, Luck, Brady, Luck, Wilson, etc.  He doesn't need to be good when he's throwing more pass attempts than almost every QB in the league.  

Unless your league scores incompletions, volume is your main friend in fantasy for any position.

2 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

This is pretty far down the list of reasons I would use against streaming Paul.  Bortles might not be a "good" QB, but he's 11th in the league with 1,525 passing yards.  That's more than Mahomes, Rivers, Luck, Brady, Luck, Wilson, etc.  He doesn't need to be good when he's throwing more pass attempts than almost every QB in the league.  

Unless your league scores incompletions, volume is your main friend in fantasy for any position.

Those passing numbers are fraudulent, buoyed by 430 yards of garbage time in last weeks game with KC. He already has two sub-200 yard clunkers this season. So unless you think Bortles is going to attempt 61 passes every week, then yeah, Blake Bortles is the #1 reason why I would start any of the other dart-throw options at TE over Niles Paul.

4 hours ago, smeeze said:

Those passing numbers are fraudulent, buoyed by 430 yards of garbage time in last weeks game with KC. He already has two sub-200 yard clunkers this season. So unless you think Bortles is going to attempt 61 passes every week, then yeah, Blake Bortles is the #1 reason why I would start any of the other dart-throw options at TE over Niles Paul.

The passing numbers are far from fraudulent - he's not going to throw 61 times a game, but the other two games you failed to mention his passing yardage from were 388 and 376 yards.  And he had 3,687 passing yards last year, which coincidentally also put him 11th in the league in passing.  Pretty much every QB has clunkers.  Tom Brady had a 133 yard game against the Lions of all teams.  Not every fantasy relevant player needs to have a future HOFer throwing to him.

Is Bortles the second coming of Brett Favre?  No.  Are there plenty of reasons not to stream Niles Paul?  Yep.  But Blake Bortles is not one of those reasons.

Damn. Some serious forewarning in this thread. Sure enough, he left the game early with an injury. Thought I had just gotten lucky when he had a goose egg in my opponent's lineup. 

He's always been made of glass. Some things never change.