scienze

Marc Gasol 2018-2019 Season Outlook

5 minutes ago, WhatIsThisWizardry said:

im not freaking out about anything, fantasy wise go ahead, as a raps supporter im very glad JV is gone

Why dont we add the fact that he cant even beat out a rookie for a starting gig in memphis llol

I was talking about Gasol, not JV.

As I said when there were trade rumors, he's not guaranteed 30+ minutes anywhere he goes. Glad to see Marc on a winning team though, and definitely think he'll kill it in the play offs. 

• Like 1

Biggest issue for Gasol is how big Siakam is balling. With him playing so well the odds of Ibaka and Gasol getting minutes together is pretty low, that leaves him in an almost straight timeshare for the center minutes (with Ibaka getting a couple mins at the 4 too).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, WhatIsThisWizardry said:

ive been watching for years as well, i can definitely say him not closing out games and having his minutes reduced is a huge indication that he was not very good lol

That and it was incredibly painful watching him, for someone that tall to be flailing and cant even dunk from point blank, very slow and not explosive. im not impressed, would rather have poetl 

Per 36 minutes he has some of the best stats at his position. In the playoffs he's been game changing at times. You don't sound like someone who's paying close attention to him. JV is a good player who has been changing his game to match the changing NBA landscape. He's lost minutes because the Raptors are incredibly talented and are running a different offense than when he came in.I don't care if you don't like him, I don't care if you think he's bad but at least tell the truth.

His ranking will rise in his new location. Bookmark my post.

Edited by Spyplane

21 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

Per 36 minutes he has some of the best stats at his position. In the playoffs he's been game changing at times. You don't sound like someone who's paying close attention to him. JV is a good player who has been changing his game to match the changing NBA landscape. He's lost minutes because the Raptors are incredibly talented and are running a different offense than when he came in.I don't care if you don't like him, I don't care if you think he's bad but at least tell the truth.

His ranking will rise in his new location. Bookmark my post.

i doubt that to be true. lots of guys have great per 36 min stats but theres a reason they never reach said potential because they cant stay on the floor because THEY ARE NOT GOOD. and what do you know, ive been watching for years since VC days. i saw his career progression and simply am not impressed, i don't care if you think hes good, 17m a year is a terrible contract for a player of his calibre in today's league, it is very good for the raptors that hes gone, i dont care if he has a better career elsewhere, it won't translate to winning.

no s---, his situation can't get worse lmfao the good thing about being at the bottom is you can only go up. 
mark my words, he'll never win a chip

Edited by WhatIsThisWizardry

2 hours ago, WhatIsThisWizardry said:

i doubt that to be true. lots of guys have great per 36 min stats but theres a reason they never reach said potential because they cant stay on the floor because THEY ARE NOT GOOD. and what do you know, ive been watching for years since VC days. i saw his career progression and simply am not impressed, i don't care if you think hes good, 17m a year is a terrible contract for a player of his calibre in today's league, it is very good for the raptors that hes gone, i dont care if he has a better career elsewhere, it won't translate to winning.

no s---, his situation can't get worse lmfao the good thing about being at the bottom is you can only go up. 
mark my words, he'll never win a chip

How deep is your fantasy league? Actual player contracts have nothing to do with my league. All that matters in my league are the standard nine cats and in that setting he's been top 70 in the last two seasons. From here on out he should be top 70 again...

Anyway, good luck and I hope you're able to build a successful fantasy team based on your strategy of focusing on player contracts and whether or not how they obtained their stats is exciting for you to watch on Sports Center.

Some things to be optimistic about...

1.  Either, post ASB the lineup changes and Marc starts and plays more minutes

2. Or, he stays on the bench but his minutes increase as he learns the system

3. He stays on the bench and feasts on the second unit and keeps his defensive focus high...in the 3 games he's played he has 4 blocks and 5 steals, in under 20 min/game...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Spyplane said:

How deep is your fantasy league? Actual player contracts have nothing to do with my league. All that matters in my league are the standard nine cats and in that setting he's been top 70 in the last two seasons. From here on out he should be top 70 again...

Anyway, good luck and I hope you're able to build a successful fantasy team based on your strategy of focusing on player contracts and whether or not how they obtained their stats is exciting for you to watch on Sports Center.

i was talking from a non fantasy perspective since you were... whyd you bring up such non valid points lol why do we give a s--- his per 36 if he cant even stay on the floor, why do we care he made a difference in playoffs when it doesnt matter in fantasy? a talented team you say? look at golden state, every one of those guys produces lol 

stop talking about non fantasy value and then circle back to talk only about fantasy.

pull it together man. 

Quit holding a bias for this not valuable centre just because you drafted him. he is simply not that good. for instance young fantasy studs like mitchell robinson and kenrich williams were on the wire not too long ago around the time jval got traded. and Id easily drop val for either of those guys. 

Edited by WhatIsThisWizardry
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, WhatIsThisWizardry said:

Quit holding a bias for this not valuable centre just because you drafted him. he is simply not that good. for instance young fantasy studs like mitchell robinson and kenrich williams were on the wire not too long ago around the time jval got traded. and Id easily drop val for either of those guys. 

This is a Marc Gasol thread? 

As a Ibaka owner, I'd still rather own Gasol. Trying to trade for him 1 for 1.

Edited by TonyRomo

Word on the street is that Gasol will eventually start and play heavy minutes...probably next game after ASB

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, hipriest69 said:

Word on the street is that Gasol will eventually start and play heavy minutes...probably next game after ASB

Sauce?

1 hour ago, flat_eric said:

Sauce?

Heard it from Josh Lloyd who quoted multiple sources close to the team. 

Raptors coach Nick Nurse hasn't decided whether to start Serge Ibaka or Marc Gasol vs. the Spurs on Friday.

Interesting. Ibaka kept the starting job when Gasol was traded to Toronto, but Nurse's indecision suggests that may not be the case long-term. This could also turn into a matchup-based situation, but either way the playing-time split should be consistent. We should get a better sense of the center spot after Thursday's practice.

RELATED:  
Feb 21, 2019, 12:09 PM

If these blokes start choking in the playoffs again without even attempting to get Gasol ingrained in the first unit during the regular season, Nick Nurse should be fired.

On 2/14/2019 at 12:06 AM, Goku said:

As I said when there were trade rumors, he's not guaranteed 30+ minutes anywhere he goes. Glad to see Marc on a winning team though, and definitely think he'll kill it in the play offs. 

When a team is winning like the Raps are and you get a All Star vet like Gasol who by the way is 34 yrs old and on the backside, you ease him in. Yeah he is better than Ibaka, but Ibaka is much younger. Don't wanna mess up what they have right now creating a mess and team chemistry. I get it given Gasol injury history as well,

1 minute ago, Forever Smooth said:

When a team is winning like the Raps are and you get a All Star vet like Gasol who by the way is 34 yrs old and on the backside, you ease him in. Yeah he is better than Ibaka, but Ibaka is much younger. Don't wanna mess up what they have right now creating a mess and team chemistry. I get it given Gasol injury history as well,

Not so sure Serge is "much younger."  He might be 32 years old in real life.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, El_Chingon said:

Not so sure Serge is "much younger."  He might be 32 years old in real life.

He's listed being 29, but he does look 40.

• Haha 1

I don’t know there was a play last night where Marc was guarding Alridge. And Alridge was able to easily overpowered Marc and get to the basket said a lot about his ability at this stage. A little bit sad to see as I truly miss the great playoff battles between the Marc Gasol, Allen, Conley, Zbo combo versus SAS. Those series were great.