Mondesi - Round 19

Kyle Tucker - 22

Already planning to keep:

Degrom - Round 2

Cole - Round 5

Bregman - Round 20

Thanks in advance. WHIR!

harper and mondesi

I like Realmuto and Mondesi.  Harper is not a top 10 player overall so not worth your 1st round pick.  Realmuto is the best C in the game (fantasy wise) so enjoy that leg up in the 8th round.  Mondesi is just the best option of those 3 for next year.  If you want the upside, I could see going with Tucker in 22

1 minute ago, TheTruth024 said:

I like Realmuto and Mondesi.  Harper is not a top 10 player overall so not worth your 1st round pick.  Realmuto is the best C in the game (fantasy wise) so enjoy that leg up in the 8th round.  Mondesi is just the best option of those 3 for next year.  If you want the upside, I could see going with Tucker in 22

^  This is spot on ................ Realmuto is your ace in the hole advantage at a position that is miserable in talent. 

• Thanks 1

This is exactly why Im struggling with the decision. Realmuto is great value at Rd 8 for that position. Problem is that there wont be many top talent available in the draft. Probably Mookie and Altuve. Im assessing at least 5 of 10 owners will have 1st round picks (ie no 1st round keeper). So if I dont get draft picks 1 or 2, I would probably end up having to pick someone even less of a 1st rounder than Harper. 

I think Im all in now with Mondesi. So decision is really between Harper and Realmuto. I was very big on Tucker and still like him, but boy did he struggle in his time up this year.

People talking about realmuto over harper are giving way too much credit to positional scarcity.  Realmuto is good and had a great year "for a catcher". But that great year for a catcher still only netted him 120th overall in most rankings.  Harper was a top 30 player.  

Yes, you can get another player in round 1 - but not at harper's level. 50 players are off the board, right off the bat so unless you have one of the top 2 picks you are getting around round 3-4 talent - which is right where Harper is. Though his ceiling is round 1 talent.

Realmuto in the 8th?  At his absolute best he was round 12 talent. At his best.  He might have a year or two of similar numbers left, but as a catcher his shelf life is very short. Harper has 5-8 years of round 3 production.  If you REALLY want realmuto in the 8th, you can probably draft him there again.

On 10/15/2018 at 9:14 PM, thebestpr21 said:

10 team yahoo H2H - 5 keepers 

League has (1) NA roster spot

Need to decide between:

Harper - Round 1

Realmuto - Round 8

Mondesi - Round 19

Kyle Tucker - 22

Thanks in advance. WHIR!

I hate suggesting to anyone to ever keep 1st or 2nd rounders.  But outside of Mondesi I don't see a whole lot of value in the other guys so you may s well keep Harper... .Or even just throw him back depending on if you know your draft position?

Help with mine?

Realmuto + Mondessi unless Harper goes to NYY or COL or something.

On 10/21/2018 at 12:03 PM, Khahan said:

People talking about realmuto over harper are giving way too much credit to positional scarcity.  Realmuto is good and had a great year "for a catcher". But that great year for a catcher still only netted him 120th overall in most rankings.  Harper was a top 30 player.  

Yes, you can get another player in round 1 - but not at harper's level. 50 players are off the board, right off the bat so unless you have one of the top 2 picks you are getting around round 3-4 talent - which is right where Harper is. Though his ceiling is round 1 talent.

Realmuto in the 8th?  At his absolute best he was round 12 talent. At his best.  He might have a year or two of similar numbers left, but as a catcher his shelf life is very short. Harper has 5-8 years of round 3 production.  If you REALLY want realmuto in the 8th, you can probably draft him there again.

All great points. The struggle is to give up on the chance of being able to get Mookie. I owned him this year. He will be 1st pick for sure. The only way I get a top 10 player is if I get picks 1-2. Otherwise, I would be lucky to get someone at Harper’s value. That’s why Im leaning towards going with Harper and not Realmuto. 

8 hours ago, Rotocious said:

I hate suggesting to anyone to ever keep 1st or 2nd rounders.  But outside of Mondesi I don't see a whole lot of value in the other guys so you may s well keep Harper... .Or even just throw him back depending on if you know your draft position?

Help with mine?

I wont know draft position until after I lock in my 5 keepers. That would’ve been ideal for sure. Easy decision then. I think I have to go with Harper and hope he has a monster year. He was ridiculous for a couple of months this season. Dont love it at Rd 1, but not keeping him is too risky in terms of the value I mind end up getting in Rd 1 of the draft if I dont get one of the first picks.

On 10/15/2018 at 9:14 PM, thebestpr21 said:

Harper - Round 1

Realmuto - Round 8

Mondesi - Round 19

Kyle Tucker - 22

Already planning to keep:

Degrom - Round 2

Cole - Round 5

Bregman - Round 20

DeGrom in round 2?  I wouldn't keep him there... Get a trusted bat there instead.  I honestly bet degrom goes in the 3rd round ADP wise and even if he doesn't are you honestly going to take him over Kershaw or Scherzer who are likely 2nd rounders as well.

Outside of Bregman in round 20 there isn't much keeper value here at all.  Mondesi in the 19th is your next best value I suppose...But I'm not a fan of rostering guys mostly because of SBs.

I pretty much would keep Bregman, Cole, and Mondesi throw everyone else back and just trust your draft.

5 hours ago, TrueShoe said:

DeGrom in round 2?  I wouldn't keep him there... Get a trusted bat there instead.  I honestly bet degrom goes in the 3rd round ADP wise and even if he doesn't are you honestly going to take him over Kershaw or Scherzer who are likely 2nd rounders as well.

Outside of Bregman in round 20 there isn't much keeper value here at all.  Mondesi in the 19th is your next best value I suppose...But I'm not a fan of rostering guys mostly because of SBs.

I pretty much would keep Bregman, Cole, and Mondesi throw everyone else back and just trust your draft.

I dont necesarily disagree with you here in principle. However, Ive had to adjust to a league that really really values pitching. Its very hard to get a top pitcher in my league. Having Degrom and Cole sets me up really well for a very strong pitching “rotation”. Or I could always trade one of them for a top player. I can guarantee that if I drop Degrom, he would go 2 right after Mookie, or 3. Wont go past 5th pick. Kershaw over Degrom?????? Did you go to sleep and missed the 2018 season?? Degrom is a much better pitcher than Kershaw right now and with stuff getting better vice Kershaw which is going down along with more injuries. For a league like mine that has QS (no W cat), its not even close. Degrom was tanked 6 overall, Kershaw 56. I could easily trade Degrom for a top 10 hitter in my league.

Edited by thebestpr21

Harper and Mondesi barely, he might end up being a one trick pony with the sb's his swing and miss scares me, not sure how good he actually is as a hitter, the jury is still out maybe turns out to be another Buxton

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:03 AM, Khahan said:

This doesnt make any sense.  You would have to see the players put back, and I would bet that there are much better players put back then Harper.  You admit he is a top 30 player, but lets say he has pick #5 then that would be #5 overall?  Im sure other owners are keeping players in the first round (Trout, Arenado, Betts, ?) so his 1st round pick might end up being the #1 pick of players left?  There is no value keeping a top 30 player in the first round.  If the 29 other players are all kept, then that would mean this guy would have the only pick in the first round and then could redraft Harper and still have Realmuto.  There is NO CHANCE Realmuto would last until the 8th round with 50 players already gone.  Someone will reach early to get that advantage Realmuto provides.

15 hours ago, TheTruth024 said:

This doesnt make any sense.  You would have to see the players put back, and I would bet that there are much better players put back then Harper.  You admit he is a top 30 player, but lets say he has pick #5 then that would be #5 overall?  Im sure other owners are keeping players in the first round (Trout, Arenado, Betts, ?) so his 1st round pick might end up being the #1 pick of players left?  There is no value keeping a top 30 player in the first round.  If the 29 other players are all kept, then that would mean this guy would have the only pick in the first round and then could redraft Harper and still have Realmuto.  There is NO CHANCE Realmuto would last until the 8th round with 50 players already gone.  Someone will reach early to get that advantage Realmuto provides.

Makes plenty of sense. Lol! Harper was ranked 22 overall in my league and he didnt have a great season. While you can argue he is just a top 25-30 player, he does have the potential to be top 5-10. He has shown that. There will not be top 15 talent available other than Mookie and there will not be any other top 25-30 with the top 10 potential Harper has. Believe me, I dont like Harper much either.

To put it on perspective, these were the players drafted in the first round this year. Kershaw, MadBum, Donaldson, Benintendi, Abreu. My concern is dropping Harper and then having to pick guys with lower value and potential like a lot of owners had to do this year. I didnt draft this team, I “inherited” it. MadBum was his first round pick.

Altuve, freeman, Trout and Goldy we 1st round keepers.

The only top guys coming back to FA from keepers are Mookie, Kris Bryant, Springer and stanton. Other than Mookie, I dont like any of those guys more than I like Harper as a 1st round pick. I dont like Harper much, But I do recognize he has the potential to be a top 10 player. He was 22 in my league this year and he hit .200 for months early in the season.

I understand and agree that with only 5 keepers, there will have to be some other top players dropped. Not top 10-20 though. Issue is that I wont know what will be available until after I need to pick my keepers. There is a chance that Harper might be the 2nd or 3rd best player in the draft. Do I take that risk? Thats the tough question. 

Ok, well when you are vague with all the specifics, then we need to respond with whatever information we have.  If there truly are no players worthy of a first round selection, then by all means keep him.  I would rather have him than Springer.  Would obviously rather have Mookie.  Lean slightly Bryant over Harper and lean slightly Harper over Stanton.  

I dont really know why you included Harper as one of the options to choose from.  Your thread should have just been pick one of these three (Realmuto, Mondesi, Tucker) for you final spot as you already have your mind made up you are keeping Harper.

Best of Luck!

I dont have my mind made up. Im actually wanting to be convinced to drop Harper. I’m just having a friendly argument with you here throwing all facts on the table. Thats kind of the same argument Ive been having with myself. 

I apologize for not providing all the info upfront, I realized that and added it in the last post. 

I like Bryant but worried after seeing him really struggle this year. And I have Bregman already. Thats why I would lean for Harper over him. Not by much though. 

I dont disagree with you wrt Harper. I dont like him at my 1st round pick. Will never pick him there if it was a new draft. The issue here is that Mookie is the only top top player available for sure. Do go all in, take the risk and hope I get 1st pick or other owners decide not to keep other top players, or do I play it safe, keep harper and hope he has one of his monster seasons. Thats the struggle. You think I should risk it. I’m willing to be convinced but not there yet. Would be very easy if I know all the other keepers or draft position beforehand.

Really appreciate all the help and back and forth discussions

How many teams do you think will be keeping a 1st round pick?  Is there a way you can tell?  Im sure guys like Trout, Arenado, etc are being kept in first round, so how many teams do you think will actually have a pick?  That might help with your decision.  If there are 5 teams with keepers, then only 5 teams to contend with, worst case scenario you will end up with Springer, instead of Betts, Bryant, Stanton, Harper.  In my opinion, I would gamble if there are 5 or more teams with keepers in the 1st round for the chance to land Betts.  If there are only 2 or 3 (which seems unlikely to me) with keepers, then you might have to keep Harper because more of a 50/50 bet

13 minutes ago, TheTruth024 said:

How many teams do you think will be keeping a 1st round pick?  Is there a way you can tell?  Im sure guys like Trout, Arenado, etc are being kept in first round, so how many teams do you think will actually have a pick?  That might help with your decision.  If there are 5 teams with keepers, then only 5 teams to contend with, worst case scenario you will end up with Springer, instead of Betts, Bryant, Stanton, Harper.  In my opinion, I would gamble if there are 5 or more teams with keepers in the 1st round for the chance to land Betts.  If there are only 2 or 3 (which seems unlikely to me) with keepers, then you might have to keep Harper because more of a 50/50 bet

That’s the thing, i think only 3 maybe 4 are doing 1st round keepers. Trout, Altuve and Freeman.

First round this year looked like this (including players that were kept). Kershaw, Madbum, Donaldson, Altuve, Freeman (keeper), Trout (keeper), Harper (keeper 1st year), Goldy (keeper) and Abreu. 

Harper - I see some put "he is not a top 10" which I agree with, but I am assuming that many of the first round guys who we have ranked above him are being kept in later rounds.  Unless you have one of the first couple overall picks, and know who will be there is better than Harper, Im keeping Harper. 

Mondesi

Is it a 2-catcher league?  that would be my only consideration for keeping Realmuto, if its a 10 team 1 catcher league, Im not using one of my limited keepers on a catcher.  

• Like 1