rob0403

Jakob Poeltl 2018-2019 Season Outlook

Realize there is not a thread on this guy. Pau Gasol's 38 (though still doing well) so looks like this underrated Center will get 20+ min split of the mins. And he is actually GOOD! A rim protector and team player that has room to grow. Seems to fit Spurs system but really under the radar. What do you guys think?

2 hours ago, rob0403 said:

Realize there is not a thread on this guy. Pau Gasol's 38 (though still doing well) so looks like this underrated Center will get 20+ min split of the mins. And he is actually GOOD! A rim protector and team player that has room to grow. Seems to fit Spurs system but really under the radar. What do you guys think?

I grabbed him with my last pick and in a 10 team points league. I really like the way he plays and I expect Pop to be a big fan. If he can take the starting 5 spot then I expect a really solid season

16 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

If he can take the starting 5 spot then I expect a really solid season

As @rob0403 mentions, he is splitting the position with gasol who is 38 years old.  So it doesn't matter if he starts or not, he will get at least a half the minutes and more as the season progresses, because at 38 years old Gasol wouldn't be able to handle a heavy workload. 

Edited by El_Chingon
  • Like 1

Delusional. Gasol is definitely gonna play more than Poeltl even at age 38. Pop isn't here to tank.

7 minutes ago, q6174 said:

Delusional. Gasol is definitely gonna play more than Poeltl even at age 38. Pop isn't here to tank.

Gasol played 23 minute a game last year. 20 mpg post all-star break. I doubt that number is going up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Gasol will get maybe a couple of DNPs in the 2nd half of the season. Knowing how likely Pop will rest his guys prior to NBA playoffs. 

tons of room to get minutes here. Pau aint getting younger and at his age is probably an injury risk more then others any given night.

2 hours ago, fletch44 said:

Gasol played 23 minute a game last year. 20 mpg post all-star break. I doubt that number is going up.

Couldn't agree more. 

I think he will be waiver wire fodder all year

some kind of John Henson 2.0 who gets picked up after 12 reb and 4 blocks and then gets dropped 2 nights later after 12 min with 4 reb and zero's across the board... then 2 weeks later he has another good game and the circle begins again. He is a role player bench guy at best. Some good games but much mediocrity in between..

3 minutes ago, Fantasyhero said:

I think he will be waiver wire fodder all year

some kind of John Henson 2.0 who gets picked up after 12 reb and 4 blocks and then gets dropped 2 nights later after 12 min with 4 reb and zero's across the board... then 2 weeks later he has another good game and the circle begins again. He is a role player bench guy at best. Some good games but much mediocrity in between..

Its his 3rd season and his first chance to see near starter minutes. No reason to think he can't improve a decent bit from last season especially with a team that I think is more suited to his strengths.

• Like 1

Never trust Popo. My fantasy guideline #1!

On 10/16/2018 at 10:18 AM, q6174 said:

On 10/16/2018 at 10:29 AM, fletch44 said:

On 10/16/2018 at 10:32 AM, XOrad10 said:

Gasol will get maybe a couple of DNPs in the 2nd half of the season. Knowing how likely Pop will rest his guys prior to NBA playoffs. 

On 10/16/2018 at 10:57 AM, rage2021 said:

tons of room to get minutes here. Pau aint getting younger and at his age is probably an injury risk more then others any given night.

On 10/16/2018 at 1:13 PM, Buckley76 said:

Couldn't agree more. 

Ahahaha delusional people. 

3 hours ago, JormaJormala said:

Never trust Popo. My fantasy guideline #1!

He's done the same thing his whole career. And never mentioned anything different starting this season.

Just got excited after looking at his last few games but forgot that Pau has been out all this time and is coming back soon.

EDIT: Actually nevermind, Pau has a stress fracture in his foot? Yeah he's gonna be out forever. Poeltl worth keeping a very close eye on.

Edited by CFN

4 hours ago, t0087669 said:

played well again today, can he start at center and LMA to PF?

LMA really needs to become a legit outside threat for that to happen. But as a Raptor fan I know a lot about Poeltl. He is really good and smart player. He can't shoot but is an excellent defender, moves his feet brilliantly, runs the floor well and his passing game is underrated. He works his ar$e off too. I can't really understand why he was in Pop's doghouse. Admittedly the fit with DeMar and LMA isn't great due to spacing, but the Spurs defense is terrible and Yak would improve that. Who really knows what Pop will do. The spurs are a bunch of square pegs for round holes right now - there are some good defenders that can't shoot and some good shooters that can't defend And when your two franchise guys are poor defenders, that live off the mid-range game you know you are going to struggle when that is the description of your role players. Tough fits all around. Said it in the summer and nothing has shown me reason for change - IMO spurs aren't making the playoffs...[so they might as well see what they got in Poeltl and roll him out...but I also can't see Pop waving the white flag...]

• Like 1

He gets 19 minutes or more - he performs. He is really close to being worthy of a roster spot in my league... Keeping close eye on him!

• Like 1

Just grabbed him! He's been getting consistent minutes since Feb 4th

Pau gasol just got bought out. Must add in 10 team leagues ?