machine3

Gus Edwards 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

I know, another backup Ravens RB thread. But with Collins not exactly setting the world on fire, you just never know. Is it time to-

Hop on the Gus Bus? :P

Worth keeping an eye on at the very least. 

Edwards had 10 carries for 42 yards in his regular-season debut against the Titans.

With De'Lance Turner (hamstring) hitting IR, Edwards was brought up from the practice squad over the weekend and performed ably against a surprisingly shaky Titan run defense. His 10 carries were the second-most on the team behind Alex Collins and nine more than Javorius Allen had on the day. That said, Allen is still the true No.2 back behind Collins, and Edwards' workload likely had more to do with the Ravens running out the clock in a rout than anything else. Edwards figures to stick on the roster for now as the No. 3 option out of the Baltimore backfield.

• Like 3

Yeah, I mean, Collins coughs the ball up just once and it's possible that Harbs is giving this dude the rock a bunch.

Very hard to find much in the way of info on him. Was at Miami and then transferred...

He did not embarrass himself last week in his first game.

• Like 1

I watched all of his runs from last week.

He gets what's blocked and then puts his head down when he feels contact and fights to get another yard or two.  Didn't seem like he had much in the way of moves to beat a linebacker.  Ran a 4.52 40 at his pro day.  6-1, 225 pounds.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2018/03/qa_with_gus_edwards_whose_rutgers_pro_day_effort_h.html

Edited by Iron-cock

On 10/17/2018 at 12:39 PM, Iron-cock said:

I watched all of his runs from last week.

He gets what's blocked and then puts his head down when he feels contact and fights to get another yard or two.  Didn't seem like he had much in the way of moves to beat a linebacker.  Ran a 4.52 40 at his pro day.  6-1, 225 pounds.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2018/03/qa_with_gus_edwards_whose_rutgers_pro_day_effort_h.html

Sounds like Alex Collins without the ball security issues....

• Like 1

Did this dude just pull the Alex Collins on Alex Collins? His metrics don't seem to jump off the page but I didn't see him play today. Did Collins get hurt or just pulled because of ineffectiveness? Also, while he isn't a great runner did TyMont play today/was he active/knows the playbook yet? At this point I see no reason why this guy isn't a speculative add and he is available even in my 20 team league. 

Not sure how to feel about this one. I started Collins in two leagues, and two daily lineups. But Hold the overall #1 WW spot. Jerome Harrison rebirth??? 

Damn I wish I was higher on the wire to snag this guy. If he gets the volume like he did today, his sked is so tasty ROS - oak, atl, kc, tb, lac. Would solve a lot of problems at RB2 for me and a whole lot of other owners i'd imagine.  

This is league winner (and I hate that term) material. So happy I already had him rostered in my two 16 teamers...

The schedule and likely usage with Lamar=fantasy gold for the stretch run.

2 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

This is league winner (and I hate that term) material. So happy I already had him rostered in my two 16 teamers...

The schedule and likely usage with Lamar=fantasy gold for the stretch run.

How long will Lamar be the starter though? 1 week?

Will Edwards keep this up when Flacco returns or will it go back to Collins?

3 minutes ago, afl5013 said:

How long will Lamar be the starter though? 1 week?

Will Edwards keep this up when Flacco returns or will it go back to Collins?

For sure next week against the terrible Oak D--that is traveling to BAL...might be all Gus needs to lock up the gig?

• Like 1

Still seems murky. Harbough said something along the lines of we have 4 guys who all do something different. at work so cant link it. think it was on nfl.com

2 hours ago, urban2014 said:

But what happens when Dixon is back? 

Probably just a super messy RBBC. Gus is probably a plug and play rb2/3 in the meantime with no Dixon or Flacco for RB-needy playoff teams. Instantly jumps ahead of guys like R. Freeman, Collins, Ekeler, Ito, Howard, etc in meantime. Hold Gus for 1-2 weeks and then possibly flip him, but he clearly has upside that others in his general RB range don’t.