machine3

Gus Edwards 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Or you can be like me and get Monty AND Dixon as Gus backups 2 and 3

Btw, the local beat writer here who made the comment about Dixon also said Gus is most likely ok. 

Said he was available to the media before practice and seemed fine. And teams rarely allows players to be available to media if they’re dealing with injuries. 

40 carries in the past 2 weeks, most likely just a day of rest. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I just wanted to say I gave fair warning back in week 11 waiver wire pickups, so not to brag at all but, called it. Now time to add to the list of Chubb and Adams.

11 minutes ago, ImthenewGoff said:

I just wanted to say I gave fair warning back in week 11 waiver wire pickups, so not to brag at all but, called it. Now time to add to the list of Chubb and Adams.

“I don’t want to brag but let me just brag real quick”

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, martinjlm said:

Almost a weekly revolving door at RB in Baltimore. Jeez!! 

That is what happens when the guys aren't effective, it would be foolish to stick with something that isn't working (aka Collins and Allen). Edwards has actually been effective though so I see no reason for Baltimore to go away from him unless of course he is injured. He'll lose snaps to other RBs in certain situations but that's just the way of the world in today's NFL. 

5 hours ago, Jaw1 said:

That is what happens when the guys aren't effective, it would be foolish to stick with something that isn't working (aka Collins and Allen). Edwards has actually been effective though so I see no reason for Baltimore to go away from him unless of course he is injured. He'll lose snaps to other RBs in certain situations but that's just the way of the world in today's NFL. 

Ty

Dixon

Just an ugly mess. Avoid 

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, martinjlm said:

Ty

Dixon

Just an ugly mess. Avoid 

Dixon isn't activated yet. It's not that much of a mess as of now. But if Dixon gets activated that will tell us Gus is really hurt, and will make this backfield a mess. 

18 minutes ago, Brettg57 said:

Dixon isn't activated yet. It's not that much of a mess as of now. But if Dixon gets activated that will tell us Gus is really hurt, and will make this backfield a mess. 

Except it won't. Dixon is gonna be activated anyway. If Dixon returns, either Collins or Allen, who were both underwhelming anyway, will be victims of the numbers game at RB. As longvas Gus keeps churning out 100 yard rushing games, he will roll. Not even Harbaugh will mess with it. He didn't mess with Forsett or Rice either when they were on a roll. The unfortunate RB situation in the 1st half of the season was dictated by the pedestrian numbers of Collins/Allen.

• Thanks 2

I'm not riding the Gus Bus, but that's not because I didn't believe in him.  I told my son to grab him which he did. 

This is pretty good article:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ravens-rb-gus-edwards-riding-high-after-strong-two-game-stretch

" Arguments in favor of the Edwards hype train staying on the tracks all revolve around his ability to create yards for himself on the ground. The undrafted Rutgers product ranks first in forced missed tackles per carry (0.33) and third in yards after contact per attempt (4.1) among the 25 NFL backs with 20-plus carries in Weeks 11 & 12. His NFL-high 133.3 elusive rating in the two-week span also leads the same group of backs.

Adding to his two-game feat, all but one of the backs (Saquon Barkley) listed ahead of him in first down/touchdown percentage, total rushing yards and yards per carry averaged more yards before first contact per attempt than Edwards. The Baltimore back averaged just 1.78 yards before first contact per carry across his 40 carries in Weeks 11 & 12, good for just the 14th-most among qualifiers. Of the 16 backs to average fewer than two yards before first contact per carry in the two-week span, only Barkley, New Orleans SaintsMark Ingram and Edwards averaged more than 5.0 yards per carry.

Edwards gained just 29.6% of his 233 rushing yards before first contact in the previous two games, the fifth-lowest percentage among the 19 NFL backs with at least 100 rushing yards in said span."

Basically, Gus is getting hit and breaking tackles to get yardage.  I think he's the Ravens back that runs the ball ROS and Montgomery the pass catching back.  Don't forget that Alex Collins was a RB they picked up off the waiver wire last year and has turnover issues.  I don't think Collins gets the starting role back.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, rocket said:

I'm not riding the Gus Bus, but that's not because I didn't believe in him.  I told my son to grab him which he did. 

This is pretty good article:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ravens-rb-gus-edwards-riding-high-after-strong-two-game-stretch

" Arguments in favor of the Edwards hype train staying on the tracks all revolve around his ability to create yards for himself on the ground. The undrafted Rutgers product ranks first in forced missed tackles per carry (0.33) and third in yards after contact per attempt (4.1) among the 25 NFL backs with 20-plus carries in Weeks 11 & 12. His NFL-high 133.3 elusive rating in the two-week span also leads the same group of backs.

Adding to his two-game feat, all but one of the backs (Saquon Barkley) listed ahead of him in first down/touchdown percentage, total rushing yards and yards per carry averaged more yards before first contact per attempt than Edwards. The Baltimore back averaged just 1.78 yards before first contact per carry across his 40 carries in Weeks 11 & 12, good for just the 14th-most among qualifiers. Of the 16 backs to average fewer than two yards before first contact per carry in the two-week span, only Barkley, New Orleans SaintsMark Ingram and Edwards averaged more than 5.0 yards per carry.

Edwards gained just 29.6% of his 233 rushing yards before first contact in the previous two games, the fifth-lowest percentage among the 19 NFL backs with at least 100 rushing yards in said span."

Basically, Gus is getting hit and breaking tackles to get yardage.  I think he's the Ravens back that runs the ball ROS and Montgomery the pass catching back.  Don't forget that Alex Collins was a RB they picked up off the waiver wire last year and has turnover issues.  I don't think Collins gets the starting role back.  

This is awesome insight - thanks for sharing. Certainly confirms the eye test. He slips off arm and leg tackles with ease. Perfect compement to Lamar as he’ll get a lot of 1 on 1 matchups as the spy has to stay on Lamar.

10 hours ago, martinjlm said:

Ty

Dixon

Just an ugly mess. Avoid 

Yes there are other RBs on the roster as with 29 other teams in the NFL. Edwards happens to be the guy who has 40 touches and 233 yds over the past 2 weeks so he is clearly the most attractive fantasy player. Not bad for a guy you claimed off waivers a week ago. No he isn't some bellcow RB but few RBs are in today's NFL. It is no coincidence that Edwards rise/success has coincided with the QB change, a big, powerful no-nonsense back like Edwards pairs well with Jackson and read options. Just cause other guys play the same position doesn't mean you can just plug them into the same offense and expect them to be as successful. Edwards has been looking good and producing, unless his injury is more serious than being let on then there is no reason for Ravens to go significantly away from him (unlike previous starters Allen and Collins who apart from occasionally falling into the endzone haven't done much this year, which is why Edwards got an opportunity in the first place). 

Edited by Jaw1
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Gohawks said:

“I don’t want to brag but let me just brag real quick”

Even worse, he didn't actually say anything about Gus Edwards Week 11.  This is all I see in his profile:

http://forums.rotoworld.com/topic/734042-nfl-waiver-wire-thread-2018-week-11/?tab=comments#comment-8262190

strong Bruce Ellington, Hayden Hurst recs, though

• Haha 2

It's a pity, really. If he l is healthy, obviously you ride him until the wheels come off. Which means fantasy gold into week 16.

With the flaky ankle you have a scenario where they limit his snaps and give Ty (etc) a chance, and another scenario where they actually ride him and the wheels actually come off.

That makes it very hard to use him this week, but it also really limits his play-off potential, and to be honest I needed that. Darn and blast.

• Like 1

Sad to say I had to drop him. Added Ware to avoid the rbbc situation. That said I didn’t get a lot from him in PPR but saw that he could become a factor for some teams down the stretch. I hope I don’t have to play against him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krambone said:

Sad to say I had to drop him. Added Ware to avoid the rbbc situation. That said I didn’t get a lot from him in PPR but saw that he could become a factor for some teams down the stretch. I hope I don’t have to play against him.

What RBBC situation are you referring to? There isn’t one.

• Like 2

With alex Collins sent to IR, isn't he the #1 and no one won't be "stealing" Gus's touches ? 

1 minute ago, Leopard said:

With alex Collins sent to IR, isn't he the #1 now for sure ? 

They activated Dixon in his place. Edward's is clear cut #1 right now.. Gotta keep a eye on the usage of Dixon moving forward. 

1 hour ago, Brettg57 said:

They activated Dixon in his place. Edward's is clear cut #1 right now.. Gotta keep a eye on the usage of Dixon moving forward. 

No, the Falcons have to keep an eye on that giant bus that's barreling down the road about to run them over.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Nap Time said:

No, the Falcons have to keep an eye on that giant bus that's barreling down the road about to run them over.

Let's hope so! 

1 hour ago, Leopard said:

With alex Collins sent to IR, isn't he the #1 and no one won't be "stealing" Gus's touches ? 

Maybe but they value Dixon quite a bit if they kept him on IR this long. 

The Ravens clearly have no loyalty to anyone in the backfield. Ride it while it's hot but Edwards could just be the next Collins and some fourth string guy we've never heard of could lead the team in touches next week. 

4 hours ago, Leopard said:

2 hours ago, dmody91 said:

Maybe but they value Dixon quite a bit if they kept him on IR this long. 

this ^

would rather see Dixon go back on IR than Collins ... Harbags been there/done that with Collins, he was no great threat any longer ... sure he would've poached a handful of carries, but that's to be ecpected to give Bus a breather - conversely, Dixon is a cat who CAN steal the gig from GusBus - they love the guy, and he is a legit three down guy ... of course he can snap an appendage if the wind is over 10 mph, so we at least have that goin' for us ...