machine3

Gus Edwards 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

But if Dixon is active next Sunday its basically a buzzkill to his value

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jaw1 said:

Did this dude just pull the Alex Collins on Alex Collins? His metrics don't seem to jump off the page but I didn't see him play today. Did Collins get hurt or just pulled because of ineffectiveness? Also, while he isn't a great runner did TyMont play today/was he active/knows the playbook yet? At this point I see no reason why this guy isn't a speculative add and he is available even in my 20 team league. 

Collins did get off to a rough start on his first (and only, except for one carry after the half) series.  He was struggling to create any yards after contact against a league-worst run defense.  If he hadn't converted that TD, he probably would have left his owners with like 1 point and change in their flex spot.

My theory is that Collins entered the game on a much shorter leash than any of us imagined. From a fantasy standpoint, he had just outperformed expectations during a series of brutal matchups and the thinking was that as the schedule softened up he'd have some ceiling games.  But from a real-life standpoint, Harbaugh was clearly fed up with his ineffectiveness and looking for any excuse to pull him.  Maybe the celebration jig was the final straw.  Who knows?!

We didn't think Collins had much early-down competition until Dixon got healthy, and now we know that he does.  Also, Lamar Jackson ran the ball 27 times, which is crazy.  If Jackson keeps the job, we're looking at a four-headed backfield for early-down carries between Jackson, Edwards, Collins and Dixon.  And we know that Harbaugh is going into games planning to pull the "starter" after one series if he doesn't like what he sees on the first few plays.

We can't start any of the three RBs with any confidence.  I wouldn't trust Edwards or anyone else with playoff berths and championships on the line.

Edited by eg4190
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Jaw1 said:

Did this dude just pull the Alex Collins on Alex Collins? 

LOL.  Last year, Alex Collins became the lead RB by default near the end of the year, since all their other backs (Allen, Dixon) were injured.  This year, even from week one, it didn't seem the Ravens were sold on him as the lead RB of their committee, due to those ball security issues.  Since Gus is a downhill kind of runner, my thinking is he's similar to Alfred Morris in his rookie year, who also did really well in a zone read scheme with RG III.  I'm going against a lot of Ravens fans so I think it may be a bidding war to get him in my league.   I may have to add him just to him away from them, because he has got too much potential to blow up with the cupcake schedule coming up.

"Edward's north-south style paired perfectly with Jackson's running threat. With Bengals defenders insistent on staying at home on the edge to defend the dynamic quarterback, Edwards had massive gaps up the gut to jaunt through. The rookie runner's ability to get up field quickly led to chunk gains.

"To give us that type of a back is very important," Harbaugh said. "He gives us that back that we probably didn't have earlier in the year. We've got four different guys who have different styles. I think that's a plus for us." "

" "This was a must-win situation, we wanted to treat it like a playoff game," Edwards said. "With Lamar, they have to respect what he can do. When he hands it off, it takes a lot of pressure off me."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000990099/article/harbaugh-gus-edwards-gives-ravens-rb-they-needed

Reading between the lines, in a must win game in the division, they trusted the undrafted rookie over Alex Collins.  I think that speaks volumes ...

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, eg4190 said:

Collins did get off to a rough start on his first (and only, except for one carry after the half) series.  He was struggling to create any yards after contact against a league-worst run defense.  If he hadn't converted that TD, he probably would have left his owners with like 1 point and change in their flex spot.

My theory is that Collins entered the game on a much shorter leash than any of us imagined. From a fantasy standpoint, he had just outperformed expectations during a series of brutal matchups and the thinking was that as the schedule softened up he'd have some ceiling games.  But from a real-life standpoint, Harbaugh was clearly fed up with his ineffectiveness and looking for any excuse to pull him.  Maybe the celebration jig was the final straw.  Who knows?!

We didn't think Collins had much early-down competition until Dixon got healthy, and now we know that he does.  Also, Lamar Jackson ran the ball 27 times, which is crazy.  If Jackson keeps the job, we're looking at a four-headed backfield for early-down carries between Jackson, Edwards, Collins and Dixon.  And we know that Harbaugh is going into games planning to pull the "starter" after one series if he doesn't like what he sees on the first few plays.

We can't start any of the three RBs with any confidence.  I wouldn't trust Edwards or anyone else with playoff berths and championships on the line.

He did, clearly. In fact, it was very under-reported that Gus actually started their last game before the bye week--but he took only 1 carry for 10 yards and then never got another tote...it's weird, I don't trust that coach at all right now, esp with Dixon on the horizon. He could rotate everyone. simply searching for the hot hand...his comments and just general logic would seem to indicate that Gus will get a crack first next week.

6 hours ago, rocket said:

LOL.  Last year, Alex Collins became the lead RB by default near the end of the year, since all their other backs (Allen, Dixon) were injured.  This year, even from week one, it didn't seem the Ravens were sold on him as the lead RB of their committee, due to those ball security issues.  Since Gus is a downhill kind of runner, my thinking is he's similar to Alfred Morris in his rookie year, who also did really well in a zone read scheme with RG III.  I'm going against a lot of Ravens fans so I think it may be a bidding war to get him in my league.   I may have to add him just to him away from them, because he has got too much potential to blow up with the cupcake schedule coming up.

"Edward's north-south style paired perfectly with Jackson's running threat. With Bengals defenders insistent on staying at home on the edge to defend the dynamic quarterback, Edwards had massive gaps up the gut to jaunt through. The rookie runner's ability to get up field quickly led to chunk gains.

"To give us that type of a back is very important," Harbaugh said. "He gives us that back that we probably didn't have earlier in the year. We've got four different guys who have different styles. I think that's a plus for us." "

" "This was a must-win situation, we wanted to treat it like a playoff game," Edwards said. "With Lamar, they have to respect what he can do. When he hands it off, it takes a lot of pressure off me."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000990099/article/harbaugh-gus-edwards-gives-ravens-rb-they-needed

Reading between the lines, in a must win game in the division, they trusted the undrafted rookie over Alex Collins.  I think that speaks volumes ...

Buck allen wasnt hurt last year.

16 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Buck allen wasnt hurt last year.

My bad.  Buck wasn't hurt.  It was all the other guys like Danny Woodhead and Terrance West, in addition to Dixon. 

How come they're isn't more talk on this guy? Was his last game an anomaly? Do you think they'll go back to Collins and they were just "riding the hot hand?"

30 minutes ago, RoseLin23 said:

How come they're isn't more talk on this guy? Was his last game an anomaly? Do you think they'll go back to Collins and they were just "riding the hot hand?"

I would only play him out of desperation, but I'd own someone like Josh Adams over this guy, and I wouldn't want to own any Eagles RB 

42 minutes ago, RoseLin23 said:

Too many other mouths to feed and Lamar, if he still plays, could easily be the biggest touchdown vulture in the league. Need to have some skepticism. 

3 hours ago, RoseLin23 said:

Collins+buck+Monty and maybe Dixon at some point + lamar as the start QB or a gadget player.

Are you able to reliably forecast market share week to week. .  i don't even think Harbaugh can do so  :)

20 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Collins+buck+Monty and maybe Dixon at some point + lamar as the start QB or a gadget player.

Are you able to reliably forecast market share week to week. .  i don't even think Harbaugh can do so  :)

This here is the main reason why it is hard to burn a high waiver or lots of FAAB on this man. Plus you have a coach who said he would hand the reins back to Flacco if healthy. CanGus replicate near/same production with Flacco opening less running lanes.

Wait and see approach may be best.

• Like 1

I know this is getting ahead of things, but any opinion on this guys' dynasty prospects?  Any chance he's the lead back for the Ravens next year?  Possibly an RB2?

1 hour ago, pdizzle710 said:

This here is the main reason why it is hard to burn a high waiver or lots of FAAB on this man. Plus you have a coach who said he would hand the reins back to Flacco if healthy. CanGus replicate near/same production with Flacco opening less running lanes.

Wait and see approach may be best.

“Wait and see” isn’t gonna work.  Someone is gonna bid/put a claim in for him.  Your point is valid, but either you take the gamble and see what happens or you pass all together.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bob123dude said:

I know this is getting ahead of things, but any opinion on this guys' dynasty prospects?  Any chance he's the lead back for the Ravens next year?  Possibly an RB2?

Arrow way up in that regard--if he can continue to run well...

Buck- good as gone, UFA

Collins- believe he is also a FA

Monty- FA also

Dixon- RFA or maybe 1 yr left depending on how his suspension affected his service time...

(I am going off my memory here, so not 100% on the above)

Edited by ST. STEVEN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Arrow way up in that regard--if he can continue to run well...

Buck- good as gone, UFA

Collins- believe he is also a FA

Monty- FA also

Dixon- RFA or maybe 1 yr left depending on how his suspension affected his service time...

(I am going off my memory here, so not 100% on the above)

So...swing for the fences with FAAB in dynasty?

6 hours ago, RoseLin23 said:

he has a good schedule if he gets the job, unfortunately no one knows except Harbaugh.  and there isn't time to find out either.  simply put he should be on the top of everyone's list week regardless of which side of the fence you are on, use that last bench spot.  this time of year the chances of finding a legit RB2 are slim to none on the waiver wire, so you gotta take you shot

1 hour ago, Proteus said:

So...swing for the fences with FAAB in dynasty?

Think that’s what I’m doing.  Could be someone you have going into next year with a weak rookie rb class

• Thanks 1

This is the late season, last chance RB pick up.

He's my # 1 WW pick up. Sure he may not work out, but I think the Ravens would be stupid not to ride him. The other RBs on the team are mediocre at best.

He's easily worth the flier, and it's too late in the year to save your # 1 wire claim or FAAB.

9 minutes ago, Singing in Dwayne said:

This is the late season, last chance RB pick up.

He's my # 1 WW pick up. Sure he may not work out, but I think the Ravens would be stupid not to ride him. The other RBs on the team are mediocre at best.

He's easily worth the flier, and it's too late in the year to save your # 1 wire claim or FAAB.

This smells like Raheem Mostert 2.0

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, gameover413 said:

This smells like Raheem Mostert 2.0

maybe it is and maybe it isn't, but with that remaining schedule, do you really want to risk being wrong?

that being said Mostert was doing pretty good until he got hurt

Just now, Panthor said:

maybe it is and maybe it isn't, but with that remaining schedule, do you really want to risk being wrong?

that being said Mostert was doing pretty good until he got hurt

yeah except when I played him because Breida was supposed to be on a limited snap count and he touched the ball twice.  Good times

Want to believe in him, but once Harbaugh started talking that "We have four different styles" crap, I lost faith. Maybe Im wrong and this kid gets the nod. But it just seems so temporary and muddled. But as one user stated above, how many opportunities like this emerge week 12? This could be the last great waiver wire opportunity (speaking to this week, not the player) before the true season begins. Is this guy worth a top waiver bid? If only to look and see? What else are you waiting for? Last I checked, holding the #1 waiver position (by itself) never netted a title. 

Edited by Fantasy Gooroo

4 hours ago, dashoe said:

Buck and TyMo have combined for what? 8 touches in 2 games? Dixon is 100% a threat if he ever actually comes back. But right now it seems like it’s really just Edwards and Collins.

They gave up a 2020 7th rd pick for TyMo. Sure he’s there but really as a desparation passing down back if Buck were to get hurt.

Buck was a vulture for Collins because he was reliable and didn’t fumble. If Gus can protect the ball, especially at his size, no reason to think he’s easily the #1 goal line back going forward.

Lamar as the starting QB has to be seen as a huge plus for Edwards. Seems like they’re comfortable together as both have worked with the second/third teams.

Overall, I get this is messy, but he’s gotta be worth a #1 waiver and a start if you’re RB needy at this point. This is a crazy unique situation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ruut6 said:

Buck and TyMo have combined for what? 8 touches in 2 games? Dixon is 100% a threat if he ever actually comes back. But right now it seems like it’s really just Edwards and Collins.

They gave up a 2020 7th rd pick for TyMo. Sure he’s there but really as a desparation passing down back if Buck were to get hurt.

Buck was a vulture for Collins because he was reliable and didn’t fumble. If Gus can protect the ball, especially at his size, no reason to think he’s easily the #1 goal line back going forward.

Lamar as the starting QB has to be seen as a huge plus for Edwards. Seems like they’re comfortable together as both have worked with the second/third teams.

Overall, I get this is messy, but he’s gotta be worth a #1 waiver and a start if you’re RB needy at this point. This is a crazy unique situation.

No one heard of Gus before the game except a blurb he was activated from the practice quad and the predictable outcome was Collins was going to have a solid game because Lamar was the starting QB and the opponent was a great run script for a rb. . .the outcome that wasnt predicted was the practice squad  rb would out touch and outproduce the rb who has been the starter for 10 weeks.

So at this point  the only thing you can say with certainty is Harbaugh's rb personnel moves have been unpredictable. 

How is gus "worth a start"? You didnt start him last week, none of the rb's are injured and Flacco may return.

Take your shot on Gus but don't fool yourself into thinking that there is a perfectly predictable outcome as to his useage going forward.  

Edited by dashoe

Reminds me of when Harbaugh went with Lorenzo T over Forsett in a game a couple of years ago, everyone ran and grabbed him and he was never relevant again.