machine3

Gus Edwards 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

52 minutes ago, dashoe said:

No one heard of Gus before the game except a blurb he was activated from the practice quad and the predictable outcome was Collins was going to have a solid game because Lamar was the starting QB and the opponent was a great run script for a rb. . .the outcome that wasnt predicted was the practice squad  rb would out touch and outproduce the rb who has been the starter for 10 weeks.

So at this point  the only thing you can say with certainty is Harbaugh's rb personnel moves have been unpredictable. 

How is gus "worth a start"? You didnt start him last week, none of the rb's are injured and Flacco may return.

Take your shot on Gus but don't fool yourself into thinking that there is a perfectly predictable outcome as to his useage going forward.  

I don’t disagree at all, I never predicted anything about his usage except that based on Harbaugh’s track record with Buck/Collins it’s clear he doesn’t love either of them.

All I’m saying is looking at this objectively I’d be surprised if there were a better RB to get from the wire at this point in the season.

I’d say he’s somewhere around FLEX territory this week given the plus matchup, Lamar starting again, and his potential to eat carries and goal line work. I’m not predicing anything huge but he absolutely has huge potential.

• Like 1

My issue with blowing a lot of FAAB or dropping a bench option for him is Dixon. When I watch Dixon I see a much more explosive Gus bus. Granted that leads to injuries. But like I said in another thread, I don’t draft injuries in to my equation 

Edited by itschief33
  • Like 1

But along the “he fits the scheme” model, I do think Gus Bus fits that template. Most recently in my mind, the dual threat ironically was RG3. The compliment.. Alf Morris. Basically a grinder back. I might be buying

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, brosephd said:

so pretty much the alex collins of 2017

Exactly

5 hours ago, itschief33 said:

My issue with blowing a lot of FAAB or dropping a bench option for him is Dixon. When I watch Dixon I see a much more explosive Gus bus. Granted that leads to injuries. But like I said in another thread, I don’t draft injuries in to my equation 

Dixon has proved time and time again he isn't gonna do a thing in fantasy football.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

Want to believe in him, but once Harbaugh started talking that "We have four different styles" crap, I lost faith. Maybe Im wrong and this kid gets the nod. 

It's worth bearing in mind that Harbaugh is not going lay all his cards on the table by clearly stating who his starting RB is at this stage. Same when Flacco returns - will he go with this lad, or one of his more established RBs?

It may be muddled, as you say (and I wouldn't disagree), but whilst it keeps us guessing it also makes it a bit of a nightmare for the Raiders to prepare for this weekend, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Personally, I've picked him up and he's gone straight into the starting lineup, but then again I'm a pro-risk sort of guy and I like the upside of it.

Edited by steevio_uk
  • Like 1

I'm all in on this guy. At this point of the season odds are slim-to-none that a better RB option materializes, at least in leagues where the better handcuffs are rostered. No matter if you have locked down 1st seed or in desperation mode, you don't want a potential RB2 with a great schedule on your opponent's team.

Welp...blew a big chunk of my remaining FAAB on Gus. Like others have already stated, being late in the FF season, not much will materialize now other than an injury to a big name starter. Even then Handcuffs for top RBs should be rostered already. Obviously there’s a risk here with how much of a headache this Ravens backfield committee has been throughout the season. However, liked what I saw from Gus this past weekend and can’t help but be enticed by the juicy match ups ahead. I think if you’re in desperation mode to make the playoffs, I can’t see why you would want to continue holding your top waiver priority or not spend some FAAB $$$. Anyways, hoping for the best. 

• Like 2

Dropped the Packers D for Gus. I already have a deep RB depth, but I didn't want any of the other playoff teams to snag him. Some of those teams need RB help lol.

10 hours ago, Jin said:

Is he worth a #1 WW pickup?

2 weeks out of the fantasy playoffs, what are you holding it for?

Possible workhorse with the breeziest of schedules, and we have a couple of weeks to see if he actually does take the role.  Outside of one waiting for one of the monsters getting hurt( gurley, Conner, etc) and nabbing their backup, this is the best you'll do at this time of year

23 minutes ago, SuperMarksBros. said:

2 weeks out of the fantasy playoffs, what are you holding it for?

Possible workhorse with the breeziest of schedules, and we have a couple of weeks to see if he actually does take the role.  Outside of one waiting for one of the monsters getting hurt( gurley, Conner, etc) and nabbing their backup, this is the best you'll do at this time of year

Agree here. Yes, there are no guarantees with Gus but there is nobody left to use it on. In my league Ware and Brown are already taken, so I cant think of any player who will pop up and be worth using it on. I remember after week 1 when many people were holding instead of using it on Lindsay. Then nobody else came along. And we're now in week 12. 

One thing is certain- there will be a lot of FAAB money left on the table at the end of the year. 

Got him for $14 and the next highest was $7. Not sure why nobody else bid.

I really see him tearing up the horrible Raiders D this weekend and clinching the job the rest of the way. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, afl5013 said:

I really see him tearing up the horrible Raiders D this weekend and clinching the job the rest of the way. 

One league I picked him up as a Free agent. And another league he fell to me with the 8th waiver claim. Wondering the same thing as u

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fillypkno3 said:

One league I picked him up as a Free agent. And another league he fell to me with the 8th waiver claim. Wondering the same thing as u

Got Gus in most leagues despite not overpaying. Put small bids on him and actually got him in 2 out of 3 leagues. Didn't expect it to be enough, but here I am. Also got him with the 4th and 6th WW priority in other leagues. This tells me that people clearly don't believe in Gus. But if he rushes for another 100 yards against the Raiders, that's two 100 yard games in a row. At that point, he would instantly be their designated lead back. Especially when considering the abysmal yardage output by Collins, Buck and others. Not even Harbaugh could put the brakes on a guy who has rushed for more yards in two games than the other backs in half a season. Feed GUS the BUS!

1 hour ago, afl5013 said:

Messy  and  unpredictable backfield is the #1 reason. 1 game does not make him a must start but if you have the space he is a nice stash to see if he does take over the backfield or if harbaugh was simply hot handing his backfield

• Like 2

Undrafted, prospect grade below 5 (I don't think I've ever even seen one that low), had under 350 rushing yards in 3 of 4 years of college. The reason many didn't get outbid for this guy is because it was almost certainly a fluke week and he'll be back to irrelevance before the first half is over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Undrafted, prospect grade below 5 (I don't think I've ever even seen one that low), had under 350 rushing yards in 3 of 4 years of college. The reason many didn't get outbid for this guy is because it was almost certainly a fluke week and he'll be back to irrelevance before the first half is over.

He was at least a Miami recruit. He did run OK at his pro day too, I think 4.5, which is solid for a bigger dude.

He puts his foot down and falls forward for extra yards--classic 1 cut zone runner. I have seen very little wiggle or burst to his game. This is all about how he pairs better than the other backs with Lamar. That and the schedule can produce RB2 numbers--even if he can't catch the ball (which I have no idea on)...

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

This is all about how he pairs better than the other backs with Lamar. 

I wanted to quote this part because I think this is the most important factor by a MILE. In the offense with LJ you want a dude , when given the ball on a read from Lamar, that puts his foot in the ground and takes off downfield with some decisiveness. By all accounts and by what we've seen so far (I know limited sample) - Gus seems to be the guy. 

22 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Did you watch the game at all? He looked great on Sunday, which to me means more than any of his college stats. He gets a horrible Raiders defense this week and if he gets the first shot (which all signs are pointing to him getting), he may run away with the job and never look back. 

I'm not saying he's going to be an all time great or even the starter next season, but he definitely has a good shot at producing RB2 value ROS.