• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
Sign in to follow this  
hard1

Elijah McGuire 2018 Outlook

Back at practice today for the first time since IR'd with a broken foot... RB coach lawded him as the next LT (ridiculous) in the off season... they signed Crow and are letting Bilaal start who is a FA at the end of the season... maybe worth monitoring maybe why they haven't handed either back the complete reigns waiting on this guy.... thoughts? Watch list until they activate him...

• Like 1

I like McGuire as well.  Liked him coming out of college but unfortunately I don't see him being more than a 3rd down back this year as long as Crowell and Powell are healthy.  You never know, though.

It's not a terrible pick up, but I think Cannon is more likely to be the one emerging with value here if there are injuries to the vets. Mcguire isn't a terrible pick up, but I am not sure he is the "next man up" in this backfield. 

1 minute ago, wideopen21 said:

It's not a terrible pick up, but I think Cannon is more likely to be the one emerging with value here if there are injuries to the vets. Mcguire isn't a terrible pick up, but I am not sure he is the "next man up" in this backfield. 

so, lemme get this straight ... you feel it's not "terrible", correct?  

TIA

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Possible serious neck injury to an older back in Bilal, Crowell nicked up and very up and down. The coaches like McGuire and he is a very good receiver...he will hop Cannon immediately and have a chance at all kinds of PPR junk with Darnold and a bad Jets team. 14+ I'd speculate now-

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Possible serious neck injury to an older back in Bilal, Crowell nicked up and very up and down. The coaches like McGuire and he is a very good receiver...he will hop Cannon immediately and have a chance at all kinds of PPR junk with Darnold and a bad Jets team. 14+ I'd speculate now-

Do you know when McGuire gets taken off IR?

2 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

Do you know when McGuire gets taken off IR?

Jets' Elijah McGuire: Returns to practice

October 17, 2018 1:29 PM EDT | by RotoWire Staff

McGuire (foot) returned to practice Wednesday, Rich Cimini of ESPN.com reports.

McGuire's ability to practice at this stage suggests he has a shot to return from injured reserve when first eligible Week 9 against the Dolphins. He injured his foot in the early days of training camp and had surgery in late July, eventually landing on IR after final roster cuts. McGuire's potential return could lead to workload reductions for both Bilal Powell and Isaiah Crowell, with the second-year pro representing a greater threat than current No. 3 back Trenton Cannon.

• Thanks 1

Yeah its next week... wish it was this one though

23 hours ago, wideopen21 said:

Powell has gone on IR ending his season.

Cannon is the next man up for a pass catching roll, if they need an every down back that would be McGuire.  They could just use McGuire in the Powell role too, he's not bad at catching the ball.

De'Angelo Henderson is on their practice squad and could get called up, for this week at least.

Long term, Powell is a UFA after this year.  Crowell can be cut saving 2M on the cap with 2M in dead money. 

Edited by Iron-cock

I imagine McGuire may immediately step into the Powell roll next week

• Like 1

I think they had to feel comfortable with where McGuire is at in his rehab process to put Powell on IR. Scoop now?

7 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

Powell has gone on IR ending his season.

Cannon is the next man up for a pass catching roll, if they need an every down back that would be McGuire.  They could just use McGuire in the Powell role too, he's not bad at catching the ball.

De'Angelo Henderson is on their practice squad and could get called up, for this week at least.

Long term, Powell is a UFA after this year.  Crowell can be cut saving 2M on the cap with 2M in dead money. 

they're all just keeping the seat warm for Le'Veon ... if he's not traded there, you best believe the Jets sign him. 

12 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

they're all just keeping the seat warm for Le'Veon ... if he's not traded there, you best believe the Jets sign him. 

I'm writing a 10 paragraph rant if they blow money on Le'Veon in the offseason.  11 paragraphs if they waste any draft capital trading for him in a lost season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not sure why McGuire is suddenly a hot commodity around here. I looked at his game log from 2017 and he had one game with over 34 yards rushing and a grand total of 17 receptions on the season. 

He also lost two fumbles (on 105 total touches) and averaged 3.6 YPC...

Even if he assumed all of Powell's snaps/touches, why do we assume he would replicate his production?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

Not sure why McGuire is suddenly a hot commodity around here. I looked at his game log from 2017 and he had one game with over 34 yards rushing and a grand total of 17 receptions on the season. 

Even if he assumed all of Powell's snaps/touches, why do we assume he would replicate his production?

He probably won’t, but it’s not like waiver wire running backs grow on trees.  Most of these guys are flyers. 

Last years thread has more detail on him:

http://forums.rotoworld.com/topic/662864-elijah-mcguire-2017-outlook/

Edited by Iron-cock
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

New year and offseason hype before the injury. Google the summer articles. 

1 minute ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

New year and offseason hype before the injury. Google the summer articles. 

I'm seeing the RB coach comparing him to LaDainian Tomlinson. Is that what we're referring to? 

“He has the skill set to be a LaDainian Tomlinson, if he was given that opportunity,” Mitchell said following the team’s final practice of mandatory minicamp Thursday. “That’s not what presents itself to him at this point in time. The skill set, he can do it all. He can catch, he can run as a running back and he can run routes as a receiver. He just happens to be here, and I’m glad we got him.”

The head coach seemed less impressed. 

Asked about the comparison, coach Todd Bowles said, “I never coached LaDainian. I know he’s legendary and we’ll see what Eli does. Eli is a good athlete. That’s a lot to live up to. But he doesn’t have to live up to being LaDainian. He has to live up to being Eli.”

As a Jets Fan I added Elijah (16-Teamer) this morning and threw him in my IR spot -- with Powell now on IR, things add up perfectly for McGuire. He's a solid player who I like a lot as a fan of the team. By next year, this will be McGuire's backfield (if not sooner -- if they don't add someone like Bell in the offseason)

Added Cannon too for the time being.

30 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

Last year he was behind both Powell and Forte. This year he'd be essentially replacing Powell's role.

17 minutes ago, Spina said:

As a Jets Fan I added Elijah (16-Teamer) this morning and threw him in my IR spot -- with Powell now on IR, things add up perfectly for McGuire. He's a solid player who I like a lot as a fan of the team. By next year, this will be McGuire's backfield (if not sooner -- if they don't add someone like Bell in the offseason)

Added Cannon too for the time being.

In a 16- (or even 14-teamer) this guy is a fantastic stash.  In fact for 14+ teams this guy is a must add.  There's a fair bit of upside here.

Gotta like the PPR upside. Guy was regularly running routes 20 yds downfield in college.