hlee145

Allonzo Trier 2018-2019 Season Outlook

Saw there hasn't been a thread started on him. Undrafted rookie,  but looked really good in the preseason, and got 26 min in the opener, posting 15 points 4 rbs, 2 blks. He's technically on a 2 way deal, but Fizdale loves him calling him their best one on one defender and a "walking bucket." That combined with the minutes he got in the opener, makes me think he sticks and has a legit role.  How we feeling about his potential?

Also...there was this: 

He's kind of like lesser Lou Williams except Lou Williams isn't playing for a contract on an NBA squad. Fizedale kept mentioning the guy does chase down blocks, which is interesting. His scoring % in college were better than Sexton. Not a lot of passing and rebs though.

So he was undrafted because of drug issues. I picked him up because he was so damn exciting.

I think that 45 day 2 way is going to push his development. Most of the NYK players, especially rookies, have an I don't care body language. Trier on the other hand HAS to play hard.

Edited by rob0403

11 minutes ago, rob0403 said:

He's kind of like lesser Lou Williams except Lou Williams isn't playing for a contract on an NBA squad. Fizedale kept mentioning the guy does chase down blocks, which is interesting. His scoring % in college were better than Sexton. Not a lot of passing and rebs though.

So he was undrafted because of drug issues. I picked him up because he was so damn exciting.

I think that 45 day 2 way is going to push his development. Most of the NYK players, especially rookies, have an I don't care body language. Trier on the other hand HAS to play hard.

Yeah I agree with everything you said. I dropped Giles (who I like but isnt going to get consistent minutes, yet) for him. Think he can be a solid contributer in points and maybe a few rebounds. Blocks would just be a bonus. He was easily the best player on the floor after THJ and Kanter last night. Let's see if he keeps getting minutes.

College and preseason stats are right in line with what he did game 1 of regular season. Think if he gets the minutes he will be a productive and efficient scorer with a few assists, other stats sprinkled in. Certianly looks like a MUCH better player than Knox. 

I think people need to pay more attention to this kid. He looks like he’s playing to prove to the world that he should’ve been drafted. I’ve got my eye on this kid very closely.

Knox goes down for 2-4 weeks and he just soaked up almost all of the bench minutes. Gotta pay closer attention now.

• Like 1

Me too...any shot this kid cracks the starting 5?

w/ Knox down I'm definitely monitoring...I'm tempted to scoop for tonite's game to be ahead of the curb... 

He's going to erupt eventually...but when? :ph34r:

50 minutes ago, dfstout said:

Me too...any shot this kid cracks the starting 5?

w/ Knox down I'm definitely monitoring...I'm tempted to scoop for tonite's game to be ahead of the curb... 

He's going to erupt eventually...but when? :ph34r:

He’s still primarily a 2 guard and he would only be an instant add if THJ goes down. But with the way he’s been playing, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was slid into the starting 5. It would go against what Fiz said at the start of the preseason (he wants to have a “long starting lineup”) but by the mere fact that he has put Frank at the starting 3 spot, I wouldn’t be surprised if he backtracks what he said and goes small for the rest of year/until Porzingis returns.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dfstout said:

Can he be this year's Donny Mitch, or at least DM-lite?

I’m actually horrid at making predictions like this. However, what helped Mitchell’s rookie year was that there wasn’t an established go-to scorer before he blew up. Hood, Burks and Favor were all supposed to be that guy but they just couldn’t grow offensively/stay healthy. It was really the perfect storm for Mitchell.

Trier would need something similar to happen since THJ and Kanter are currently the favorites to prove their value on a team that needs scoring with an injured Porzingis. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah all that is going to happen is THJ will jack more shots. And Trier doesn't try do much so far outside of the scoring. He doesn't even slash much so I am not super high on him. Alright pickup for now if you got no one.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rob0403 said:

Yeah all that is going to happen is THJ will jack more shots. And Trier doesn't try do much so far outside of the scoring. He doesn't even slash much so I am not super high on him. Alright pickup for now if you got no one.

Well your optimism on him died out quickly. ?

Yeah I watched him for 3 games... He always asked for the ball on outside of the 3 point line for an isolation. I thought he was going to mix up his game a bit but it is a bit much. The only thing that might help him is in blowouts they let Trier do whatever he wants. Probably dropping if he doesn't try to take over the game more.

Let's go Iso Zo. Time to steal THJ's starting job just like how Donovan Mitchell stole Rodney Hood's

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, bballshinobi said:

Let's go Iso Zo. Time to steal THJ's starting job just like how Donovan Mitchell stole Rodney Hood's

I hope you are not serious. THJ is a real NBA player. 

Maybe, maybe, they could play both Trier at 2 and THJ at 3. But unless THJ is seriously injured (and he is not) then he is not going to be displaced by Trier.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

I hope you are not serious. THJ is a real NBA player. 

Maybe, maybe, they could play both Trier at 2 and THJ at 3. But unless THJ is seriously injured (and he is not) then he is not going to be displaced by Trier.

I am 80% serious.  I am a Knicks fan so I hope we can get rid of THJ. You are right that THJ is a real NBA player, so if Trier can overtake him then that means Trier is also a real NBA player. We then can trade away THJ. I'll be happy to get just 2 first round picks from the Rockets for THJ lol

have you even watched Trier play? lol....

he's not even half of what THJ is...Trier has the mentality for scoring but his skills arent up to par with his mentality. he's also not athletic/long enough and an even streakier shooter than THJ.

i've seen him take it to the hoop multiple times only to get blocked or the defender is too tall/long for him to score on. these are skills that are very difficult to learn if you don't already have them by the time you're in the league.

at best i can see trier as a 6th man off the bench type of scorer

6 minutes ago, fantasm said:

have you even watched Trier play? lol....

he's not even half of what THJ is...Trier has the mentality for scoring but his skills arent up to par with his mentality. he's also not athletic/long enough and an even streakier shooter than THJ.

i've seen him take it to the hoop multiple times only to get blocked or the defender is too tall/long for him to score on. these are skills that are very difficult to learn if you don't already have them by the time you're in the league.

at best i can see trier as a 6th man off the bench type of scorer

LOL THJ is also just a 6th man material on a good team, but we are paying him $18 million to be our 2nd option. If we are going to lose, I'd rather lose with a flexible pay roll and young players than overpaid vets. 

I should add that my point wasn't about Trier being better than THJ. I know he's nowhere near THJ right now. I am just saying that I hope Trier can get close to THJ's level so we no longer need THJ to give us those empty calorie scoring. 

Edited by bballshinobi
  • Thanks 1

Yeah many of y’all are spot on with ISO ZO. He hasn’t met a shot he doesn’t like. Don’t look for anything else besides points. His decision making is suspect as well.