K50K

Justice Winslow 2018-2019 Season Outlook

Just scooped him off waivers in my 20-team league. What are the expectations this year for Justice? Is he expected to start at PF when JJ returns?

Winslow and JJ is on our waiver wire and I just dunno what to expect from them both. Olynyk, Richardson, and McGruder is having a good start. Most probably, this guy's gonna go off the bench for a little while but hoping for a 10 ppg, and 1-1-1 * insert wishing here *

Obvious caveat to tonight's big line:  It was the Hawks.  If Dragic misses a few more games though and Spo keeps this lineup it will be interesting to see how Winslow produces especially considering they've got a favourable schedule over the 4-5 games.

Near triple dub.  Draymond skill set and they just paid him $39 million, maybe will keep getting around 30 minutes moving forward.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DezedandConfused said:

Starting as pg tonight with Dragic out. Interesting-_-

He started the 3.  They just moved J-Rich and McGruder down to the 1 and 2.  

2 minutes ago, Kriggly said:

He was playing point forward tho most of the game with 8 assists.

3 minutes ago, Kriggly said:

How can you even tell? It's not like baseball or football. Or even hockey for that matter.

• Thanks 1

Intriguing but I want to see him do this at least a few more games. He's had big games before followed by periods of duds 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

How can you even tell? It's not like baseball or football. Or even hockey for that matter.

Box score listings, who they defend, and the media announcement prior to the game.  I'm just pointing this out so people don't think he's going to be PG eligible.  

3 hours ago, Kriggly said:

Box score listings, who they defend, and the media announcement prior to the game.  I'm just pointing this out so people don't think he's going to be PG eligible.  

Yeah when I stated I was talking about him being PG eligible, I was interested in the out of position assists as a point forward.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, flippy said:

good stats against detroit.  this is without whiteside.  

Bam slid into Whiteside's starting spot.

I'd imagine a fully healthy Heat starting lineup would look like Dragic/JRich/McGruder/Winslow/Whiteside unless they want to give James Johnson a starting spot - which I don't agree with, because you might as well see what you have in your youngster in Winslow.

Edited by Stallion

I'm taking a chance on him this year and dropped Thad Young.  New contract and Spo giving him some good minutes. Let's see what he can do.

He's always shown glimpses of initiating the offense. His shooting never seemed to catch up though ( might not ever will ) and that wrist injury from a couple of years ago was a speed bump in his development. Glad he's putting it together again. 

If he sticks at the starting 4 Justice is absolutely worth owning. I have my doubts he does though. 

On 11/3/2018 at 10:08 PM, El_Chingon said:

Near triple dub.  Draymond skill set and they just paid him $39 million, maybe will keep getting around 30 minutes moving forward.

You were right. Lines are lookin Draymond-lite.

I wrote this up 2 weeks ago, but saved in my draft before I posted it.  I think it's relevant and if Winslow keeps the PF position, he could be the 2nd playmaker behind Dragic all season.  We don't know how much James Johnson or Waiters will affect his minutes, but with 30mpg, Winslow could be a triple double threat, with 1-1-1 potential, on below average %'s.  That's a pretty valuable player, though.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I think last year's playoff intensity showed us something intriguing regarding Winslow's will to compete fiercely, similar to a Marcus Smart with more size and overall skills.  I wouldn't pick him up in leagues under 12 teams unless he comes out the gate in beast mode, but he's worth a speculative add for defense stats, and the good chance of getting some Point Forward minutes, similar to Josh Jackson. Winslow and Jackson have very, very similar size and skill set.  I like Winslow's potential a lot more long term due to his maturity. 

It's hard to remember the hype he had on draft day 2015, where the Celtics were offering major assets to acquire him.  He's one of those present NBA position-less players that the Celtics stocked up on after missing out on Winslow.  Miami should want to see what they have in him before he becomes a FA which would mean an uptick in mins once he proves he's healthy.  If they like what they see, they could actually purposely keep those mins low so he doesn't command higher salary.  It's a double edged sword situation here so I'll be paying close attention to his production regardless of mins.  He'll be highly motivated to prove he can stay healthy, knock down the 3, and shoot at a decent percentage, in general.  They know he can play D, and he's capable of some play-making from the forward position, it's the consistent offense and dependability that's in question.

It's tough to predict a stat line average without knowing how aggressively they'll bring him back to speed, and future plans for him but within 3 weeks, I would guess:

12 pts

6 rebs

4 assists

1.5 stls

0.8 blocks

1 three

42% / 77%

If/when, for many reasons, his minutes increase from the 25 -27 expected, and gets closer to 30, we could see better stats.  This is just a gut feeling, but I see a break out season coming from him if Miami gives him the chance to stay on the court.  I even wonder if it's possible he'd be included in a sign and trade deal for Jimmy Butler towards mid-season if the Wolves like what they see out of him.  He'd fit extremely well on that team skill-wise, and age of other developing, long term, core players.  Winslow doesn't need to take a ton of shots to help his team win.  A move like this would benefit the futures of Wiggins and KAT.  It's an interesting speculation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2