DidiFan

2018-19 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

First to the Red Sox - the truly dominant team from start to finish this year. Dare I say right up there with the 1998 Yankees. Congratulations on putting a bow on the year and beating the Dodgers in LA in convincing style. Cheers!

giphy.gif 

Now with World Series officially in the books. Figured why not get the old off-season rumor mill rolling. 

I'll start off with some things on Harper. 

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/bryce-harper-free-agency-rumors-scott-boras-says-theres-already-a-done-deal-in-place/

From yesterday - Boras basically said there is already a deal in place for Harper already. Whether it's true or not - who knows. 

For anyone speculating on the Yankees as a destination 

And of course there is Machado fresh off his post season shenanigans. Who knows where he'll end up but regardless it should make for a fun off season full of speculation. 

• Like 4

Just saw a report that the Yankees are also "lukewarm" on Machado, in part because of his playoff antics. 

• Like 2

Should be an interesting offseason - whats always interesting is how FA moves impact the fantasy game.  Seems there is always some steady eddie veteran with little to no fantasy appeal who signs somewhere and blocks someone with intrigue and upside.  

"Cards hired Albert, Clapp for coaching staff"

I can't be the only one who briefly thought that the Cards hired Albert Pujols to the coaching staff instead of Jeff Albert. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mikewastaken said:

Just saw a report that the Yankees are also "lukewarm" on Machado, in part because of his playoff antics. 

Thankfully, my phone has a Baseball Executive to English translation app, which translates this as "we're feigning a lack of interest in a young superstar to keep his price down."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looking for the White Sox to make a big splash towards Harper and or Machado. I doubt we get them, but they should/need to be in the mix as an organization that has so much money to spend this offseason. 

Well about the speculation in Boston so far which, given how baseball mad all of New England is, has already started before the duckboats have started to roll even: 

The free agents to watch are late season pick-ups Nathan Eovaldi and Steve Pearce as well as relievers Joe Kelly and Craig Kimbrell.  FAs not coming back would be Hanley Ramirez and Drew Pomeranz which frees up some money.  (Pomeranz was terrible all year and people figure his elbow/arm is not right so I'm sure they will let him walk and Hanley is a no brainer gone gone gone).

People imagine Eovaldi sure jacked up his price in the off season after the playoffs.  He'd be a great fit for Boston to try and retain what with Drew Pomeranz and his health issues out the door and the opening there.  So the Sox need a replacement right-handed starter and the cupboard is bare in the minors and they and Eovaldi seem to be in the throes of a love affair at this point so why not throw the money freed up by the Hanley and Pomeranz contracts ending all at him now.  He certainly proved he is healthy and an even better pitcher than anytime in his career this season.

Also try and re-sign Steve Pearce for a year since he said he'd love to play for the Sox next year (hint, you can get him with a big hometown discount) and since Moreland is under contract for one more year and they make sense as a tandem at 1B because AAAA player Sam Travis is not an answer at 1B.  Wait a year and see if someone like Goldy would make sense in 2020 or if Michael Chavis (AAA) can perform withOUT the stupid PEDs he was caught using before but hold on to your current 1B platoon for 2019.

Kimbrel is a big question mark.  A proven veteran star closer who is definitely showing some serious signs of being past his peak years.  Both he and Joe Kelly -- who got totally hot at the right time for his free agency unlike Kimbrell -- are up for grabs.  The Sox could choose to go after Kelly instead as their closer or even consider Eovaldi as a future closer if they pick up another starter or decide they will give knuckleballer Steven Wright another chance in the rotation (please don't).  So though I think they make an offer to Kimbrel I don't think they will be all in on him.  If he takes their offer, great.  But if other teams start to bid up the money I don't think the Red Sox will get into a serious bidding war over him.

Someone like Kimbrel is a chrome and trim guy for them now that they don't want to go overboard with since they have serious contracts coming up at the end of 2020 (Chris Sale and Rick Porcello) and 2021 (Mookie Betts) so a multi-year reliever with a huge contract is more a luxury item at this point.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, DidiFan said:

First to the Red Sox - the truly dominant team from start to finish this year. Dare I say right up there with the 1998 Yankees. Congratulations on putting a bow on the year and beating the Dodgers in LA in convincing style. Cheers!

On behalf of Red Sox Nation (modest cough) we thank you for the generous congrats from a true blue Yankee fan.  High praise indeed.  And one of the reasons this site is so superior to all those fanboy sites where people get downright vicious over their team loyalties instead of embracing civility and class and the game itself like you have shown here.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 3

On 10/29/2018 at 2:48 PM, Mikewastaken said:

How about his whole career. I was never a fan again after he threw the bat against Oakland.  Says hustle isnt his cup of tea...I'd rather see puig bat flip a ball off the wall then someone walk practically to first base on a hit. Dirty slides, Donaldson incident...it's who he is as a player and I hope he never plays in STL. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, zstlj said:

How about his whole career. I was never a fan again after he threw the bat against Oakland.  Says hustle isnt his cup of tea...I'd rather see puig bat flip a ball off the wall then someone walk practically to first base on a hit. Dirty slides, Donaldson incident...it's who he is as a player and I hope he never plays in STL. 

agree. i dont want the yankees near harper or machado.  harper over machado if i had to choose one.

i really like the idea of trading for Goldie tho...going hard for a SP trade and if that doesnt work then sign corbin/happ

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

agree. i dont want the yankees near harper or machado.  harper over machado if i had to choose one.

i really like the idea of trading for Goldie tho...going hard for a SP trade and if that doesnt work then sign corbin/happ

Harper just plays hard and with some flare. Machado is Bush league punk. 

I love the Goldy trade idea but Corbin is coming off nearly top 10 SP season possibly and super pricey. I think Yanks can defiently go trade over 100mil for Corbin. 

Severino needs some help forsure 

On 10/30/2018 at 2:52 AM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Kimbrel is a big question mark.  A proven veteran star closer who is definitely showing some serious signs of being past his peak years.  Both he and Joe Kelly -- who got totally hot at the right time for his free agency unlike Kimbrell -- are up for grabs.  The Sox could choose to go after Kelly instead as their closer or even consider Eovaldi as a future closer if they pick up another starter or decide they will give knuckleballer Steven Wright another chance in the rotation (please don't).  So though I think they make an offer to Kimbrel I don't think they will be all in on him.  If he takes their offer, great.  But if other teams start to bid up the money I don't think the Red Sox will get into a serious bidding war over him.

Someone like Kimbrel is a chrome and trim guy for them now that they don't want to go overboard with since they have serious contracts coming up at the end of 2020 (Chris Sale and Rick Porcello) and 2021 (Mookie Betts) so a multi-year reliever with a huge contract is more a luxury item at this point.

I truly hope they dont bring Kimbrel back.  Yes, I loved having him these past few years.  But 2018 showed he is no longer the pitcher he was and I dont think its going to get any better for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

I can't understand how any Yankees fan could be so against signing Harper or Machado.  Two 26-year old superstars.  I guess I can see hating Machado and not wanting him on your team but I've seen players do worse than he did.

I'm supposed to care about him cleating a player like Steve Pearce? LOL Pearce is just as dirty, if not worse.

1 hour ago, MrBrown said:

I can't understand how any Yankees fan could be so against signing Harper or Machado.  Two 26-year old superstars.  I guess I can see hating Machado and not wanting him on your team but I've seen players do worse than he did.

I'm supposed to care about him cleating a player like Steve Pearce? LOL Pearce is just as dirty, if not worse.

id be all over harper if we didnt trade for stanton.  id rather trade/sign pitching, maybe go after goldschmidt and if andujar really cant play 3b then go after arenado in FA in 2020.  

Why did the Yankees brig back Gardner, doesn't make a lot of sense to me, unless they don't want Stanton in theOF

2 hours ago, MrBrown said:

I agree that was dirty. This video isn't even all of it either.

Edited by zstlj
Mingvb

Wow a closer who k'd 13.8 per 9, blew 5, saved 42 with 2.74 era is DONE at 30! Wow I heard that. Lmao Wow

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zstlj said:

I agree that was dirty. This video isn't even all of it either.

I think some of the stuff about Machado has been greatly exaggerated.  I have no problem with really any of the hard slides into 2nd base that are shown here.  I only think one of them may be considered offensive or "dirty."  I have seen much much worse.  Look at Utley's takeout slide in the '15 NLDS vs the Mets.  An extremely dirty slide that ended Ruben Tejada's season.  What did people say about that?  "Utley plays hard"

Throwing the bat I have no problem with either.  The A's hit him before that happened and were attempting to hit him again, which was due to Donaldson being a major punk.  Here's another incident caused by the lowlife Donaldson.  So yea I don't blame Machado at all for that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

I think some of the stuff about Machado has been greatly exaggerated.  I have no problem with really any of the hard slides into 2nd base that are shown here.  I only think one of them may be considered offensive or "dirty."  I have seen much much worse.  Look at Utley's takeout slide in the '15 NLDS vs the Mets.  An extremely dirty slide that ended Ruben Tejada's season.  What did people say about that?  "Utley plays hard"

Throwing the bat I have no problem with either.  The A's hit him before that happened and were attempting to hit him again, which was due to Donaldson being a major punk.  Here's another incident caused by the lowlife Donaldson.  So yea I don't blame Machado at all for that.

No way I'm defending machado since he does it again and again. Aguilar could of torn his Achilles actually. He just throws the bat and even Thorne on Bal TV can't defend him.  Maybe one of the slides I can accept. I don't know the whole JD MM beef really but I blame JD on ur vid yes. 

Just because Utley seriously hurt someone and it was terrible doesn't justify MM at all. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

The problem is the totality of the evidence.  Obviously if it was a 'one off', like Utley who has played for years and well respected by his peers, he gets the benefit of the doubt.  However, when it looks like a fish, and swims like a fish and smells like fish, well you get it.  Letting go that bat was truly one of the most immature things I've seen in MLB.  You wanna go after the pitcher, that's one thing, but letting go the bat purposely?  What if it hit the umpire or someone in the dugout or god forbid an innocent fan?  From what I've seen he's just completely immature.  There's a difference between playing hard and playing dirty.  That attempt to take out Aguiar there's just no place for it in today's game.

Edited by BigPapi44
  • Like 2

The Utley slide into second wasn't that what prompted the rule changes giving more protection to middle IF?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, zstlj said:

No way I'm defending machado since he does it again and again. Aguilar could of torn his Achilles actually. He just throws the bat and even Thorne on Bal TV can't defend him.  Maybe one of the slides I can accept. I don't know the whole JD MM beef really but I blame JD on ur vid yes. 

Just because Utley seriously hurt someone and it was terrible doesn't justify MM at all. 

Fair enough.

5 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

The problem is the totality of the evidence.  Obviously if it was a 'one off', like Utley, he gets the benefit of the doubt.  However, when it looks like a fish, and swims like a fish and smells like fish, well you get it.  Letting go that bat was truly one of the most immature things I've seen in MLB.  You wanna go after the pitcher, that's one thing, but letting go the bat purposely?  What if it hit the umpire or someone in the dugout or god forbid an innocent fan.  From what I've seen he's just completely immature.  There's a difference between playing hard and playing dirty.  That attempt to take out Aguiar there's just no place for it in today's game.

The thing is I've been watching Machado for years as a Yankee fan.  Over all these years, I never saw anything to indicate he was a dirty player or this monster he's being made out to be.  The Aguilar one was real bad, but then it just magnified anything else he did.  Making everything else look so dirty when it really wasn't.  He really didn't have this terrible reputation until the incident with Aguilar in the NLCS.  For whatever reasons he's done questionable things that are out of character in this post-season.