DidiFan

2018-19 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

We should,lock this thread until March, when actual action seems 

On 10/29/2018 at 5:10 PM, CrypTviLL said:

Looking for the White Sox to make a big splash towards Harper and or Machado. I doubt we get them, but they should/need to be in the mix as an organization that has so much money to spend this offseason. 

I could see Machado being on their radar, but I don't know if they want to go big just yet. Plus i dont know if Rick Renteria is a strong enough manager to handle him the way he needs to be. 

I think Manny ends up a Yankee. He can be Boones problem.

Edited by 2ndCitySox

6 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Fair enough.

The thing is I've been watching Machado for years as a Yankee fan.  Over all these years, I never saw anything to indicate he was a dirty player or this monster he's being made out to be.  The Aguilar one was real bad, but then it just magnified anything else he did.  Making everything else look so dirty when it really wasn't.  He really didn't have this terrible reputation until the incident with Aguilar in the NLCS.  For whatever reasons he's done questionable things that are out of character in this post-season.

Ya, I guess from my end I would defer to the players and how he is seemingly viewed.  I did not see any Dodgers rally around him, then failing to hustle on the ball off the wall I'm sure did him no favors.  Then there was this little diddy:  https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/video/machado-drops-f-bombs-rant-against-red-sox-organization

Again, if guys come out in support of him that he is just 'playing hard' you won't hear a peep from me.  That said, the silence is rather deafening.  Instead, Yelich's comments would seem to be how he may be viewed by a number of players in the league.  A great talent, for sure, but it definitely seems he has some growing up to do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigPapi44 said:

Ya, I guess from my end I would defer to the players and how he is seemingly viewed.  I did not see any Dodgers rally around him, then failing to hustle on the ball off the wall I'm sure did him no favors.  Then there was this little diddy:  https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/video/machado-drops-f-bombs-rant-against-red-sox-organization

Again, if guys come out in support of him that he is just 'playing hard' you won't hear a peep from me.  That said, the silence is rather deafening.  Instead, Yelich's comments would seem to be how he may be viewed by a number of players in the league.  A great talent, for sure, but it definitely seems he has some growing up to do.

Well Pearce did come to his defense.  Said he was a great guy and pretty much his favorite guy in baseball.  He said Machado's post-season antics have been out of character for him

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it's so strange how a guy who only has one season with an OPS over .900 is considered one of the best in the game today, and will command 40 million dollars a year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Guzman said:

I think it's so strange how a guy who only has one season with an OPS over .900 is considered one of the best in the game today, and will command 40 million dollars a year. 

machado right?  i agree with u. and he isnt even a great fielder at SS

11 hours ago, Vegeta said:

Wow a closer who k'd 13.8 per 9, blew 5, saved 42 with 2.74 era is DONE at 30! Wow I heard that. Lmao Wow

Red Sox fans are the new Yankee fans. Same guys who absolutely loathed David Price until a week ago for having a 3.74 ERA since joining the Sox. They were acting like he was James Shields out there.

Kimbrel had a slightly worse 2016 than this year and he bounced back to his regular self in 2017. He'll be elite again next year 

Edited by elrey
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Guzman said:

How many guys do you think OPS over .900?  Not many.  Especially not many under the age of 26. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MrBrown said:

Fair enough.

The thing is I've been watching Machado for years as a Yankee fan.  Over all these years, I never saw anything to indicate he was a dirty player or this monster he's being made out to be.  The Aguilar one was real bad, but then it just magnified anything else he did.  Making everything else look so dirty when it really wasn't.  He really didn't have this terrible reputation until the incident with Aguilar in the NLCS.  For whatever reasons he's done questionable things that  are out of character in this post-season.

The bat throwing incident was when Machado was suspended for 5 games when he threw the bat at Fernando Abad.

When Donaldson tagged him out coming into third and Machado fell on his butt. This is what caused the incident with Donaldson. Pretty funny as in the comments someone posted even the ump was laughing. Machado than "threw" bat in Donaldson's direction later in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IUgNRVrna8

There was a slide onto the MIL shortstop at 2nd base before the Aguilar incident. The year before he took out Pedroia on a slide into 2nd. How is Pedroia's knee?

Seems like "out of character" is more the norm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

The bat throwing incident was when Machado was suspended for 5 games when he threw the bat at Fernando Abad.

When Donaldson tagged him out coming into third and Machado fell on his butt. This is what caused the incident with Donaldson. Pretty funny as in the comments someone posted even the ump was laughing. Machado than "threw" bat in Donaldson's direction later in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IUgNRVrna8

There was a slide onto the MIL shortstop at 2nd base before the Aguilar incident. The year before he took out Pedroia on a slide into 2nd. How is Pedroia's knee?

Seems like "out of character" is more the norm.

I'm sure there was more to the Donaldson altercation, as he's an enormous douche himself.  He also went over to Machado in a way to escalate it, which wasn't necessary.

The bat throwing didn't happen in the same game.  The tag incident was early in Game 1 of the 3 game set.  Then, in game 3 the A's were up 10-0 in the 8th inning when Machado came up with 2 outs.  His last AB of the game so they throw a fastball at his knees, with clear intent, but miss.  They then try again and that's when he threw the bat.

There wasn't anything wrong with his slides vs MIL.  His slide vs Pedroia could've easily been unintentional.  Pedroia missed not even a week due to being spiked and came back playing great.  He got hurt again later in the season unrelated to being spiked by Machado.

According to Braves beat writers, the Marlins want Soroka and Riley for Realmuto.

Exciting News for the Rangers Ace. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On ‎2018‎-‎11‎-‎02 at 7:11 PM, Sine_cera said:

According to Braves beat writers, the Marlins want Soroka and Riley for Realmuto.

Considering their team, proximity to contending for the WS, and abundance of good young arms, I would definitely consider this if I were the Braves.

• Like 1

A rumor for Realmuto is to be traded to the Yankees. The Yankees would give up Sanchez. To me, it seems like a win-win for both teams and a clear loss for Sanchez. The Yankees lose some power but gain in a better defensive catcher and an increase in speed. Miami gets less payroll and more years of control. Heard on MLBTV.

1 hour ago, Low and Away said:

A rumor for Realmuto is to be traded to the Yankees. The Yankees would give up Sanchez. To me, it seems like a win-win for both teams and a clear loss for Sanchez. The Yankees lose some power but gain in a better defensive catcher and an increase in speed. Miami gets less payroll and more years of control. Heard on MLBTV.

Despite this last season, I would still take Sanchez over Realmuto for the next 5 seasons.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oswald737 said:

Despite this last season, I would still take Sanchez over Realmuto for the next 5 seasons.

Of course if they switch ballparks,  I would favor JT.

22 minutes ago, oswald737 said:

More importantly the Yanks can get someone who can make contact consistent. 

33 minutes ago, zstlj said:

More importantly the Yanks can get someone who can make contact consistent. 

I think more importantly they get a catcher who the pitchers want to throw to.    And that consistent contact as well.

• Haha 1

I don't know if fans just see him as the next Jesus Montero or what, but I don't get it. He had a lost year, it happens. You got a taste in the postseason of what he's capable of giving you for years to come. 

The cardinals are gonna be interesting this off season. I'm sick of mediocre BS. This involves multiple dea!s but let me know. Where im.wrong or whatever .

Please criticize or whatever if something can't happen , but I just did this my own benefit amd could see it. 

1- Trade Matt Carpenter (bad at 3b) Carson Kelly  and Daniel Poncedeleon for Paul Goldschmidt....and maybe another small piece.

***It may seem like a lot but Knizer is a.stud catcher behind kelly and better than kelly. Poncedelon is a.young MLB ready arm. 

2: Sign Donaldson 1 yr, 20 per at 3B ( Nolan Gorman. 3B  prospect and Gyorko )

3- Trade Fowler($$$$)  and less known guys for someone like Tony Watson.  

4- Sign Michael Brantley in RF , O Neill becomes 4th 

5- Trade Jose Martinez (poor D) for.another real solid bullpen arm

OF= Ozuna, Bader, Brantley (O Neill) 

Donaldson , Paul De Jong, Kolten Wong , Paul Goldy, Yadi. (Gyorko o Neill platoons ) 

SP : CMart, Mikolas, Flaherty , Hudson, Waino\weaver\gomber but...(Alex Reyes lays.waiting also) 

BP: Tony Watson and Shreve from left, hicks , Kimbrel 8 and 9.

Please criticize or whatever if something can't happen , but I just did this for fun but legitimate effort. 

Brantley and Donaldson are fairly reasonable to afford here

Edited by zstlj
Msms

56 minutes ago, zstlj said:

3- Trade Fowler($$$$)  and less known guys for someone like Tony Watson.  

STL would have to give a high level prospect for anyone to take Fowler's contract away from them. That trade you proposed would not work out. 

Haha I just moved it to a new tab...well the cards eat some of it also

Cards discussion on baseball talk 

• Thanks 1

Passan later clarifies that the M's are going to want a king's ransom for their core pieces, but I could see some serious dominoes falling if the upper echelon teams with money and prospects to burn can pry guys like Haniger, Paxton, and Diaz loose.