DidiFan

2018-19 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

Segura isn't happening. Going into his age 29 season with 4-years left + 5th year team option or $1M buyout.  He also has a reputation as somewhat of a clubhouse cancer.

On 11/7/2018 at 7:50 AM, Magoo said:

As an Angels fan, this news is so gratifying. Dipoto has Dipotoed the Mariners in less time than he did with the Angels. And they gave him an extension!

no way they are able to rebuild now. No one will take their overpriced pieces.

To be fair, Jack Zdurencik who I would argue is the worst general manager in the history of baseball, is responsible for Felix deal, Seager deal and Cano deal.  Dipito inherited those horrific deals/sunk costs.  

13 hours ago, zstlj said:

He's gonna be a cardinal

As per Rotoworld: Report- Rosenthal reporting Cardinals not interested in Harper, I think they are happy with their OF

10 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

As per Rotoworld: Report- Rosenthal reporting Cardinals not interested in Harper, I think they are happy with their OF

As well they should be.  The full Rotoworld blurb was:

According to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, the Cardinals are "not as interested" in Bryce Harper "as those on the outside want them to be."

It's posturing season on big-team free agents, so we wouldn't read too much into this, but Rosenthal hears that the Cardinals are currently prioritizing infield and bullpen help over any possible outfield additions. Harper reportedly turned down a 10-year, $300 million offer from the Nationals toward the end of the 2018 regular season and is believed to be seeking more than $350 million on the open market this winter. The Phillies seem to be the frontrunner right now, though there could be many darkhorses in this race -- including St. Louis.

Source: The Athletic                                                                  Nov 8 - 10:03 AM

The Phillies have money to burn but Machado makes more sense than Harper honestly.  Unless they think Franco has finally turned the corner and are fine with Kingery or Crawford at SS.  Phils also, like most all teams, need pitching.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

15 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

To be fair, Jack Zdurencik who I would argue is the worst general manager in the history of baseball, is responsible for Felix deal, Seager deal and Cano deal.  Dipito inherited those horrific deals/sunk costs.  

He's done them no favors emptying what was left of their farm system.  And Gordon..

20 minutes ago, Magoo said:

He's done them no favors emptying what was left of their farm system.  And Gordon..

Gordon trade sucked.  No doubt about that.  He’s a GM that is brought in to make your MLB club competitive.  He’s done a solid job so far, without strapping the club with many really horrid deals.  Seager is an absolute dump — hopefully they can trade Paxton and have someone take that losers contract along with it.  Felix is off books after the year.  Cano will be the last really bad deal left.  They’ll probably deal Dee and take another bad deal back at a position of need DH/OF potentially, or eat some of the salary to have him move along.  But yes, Dipito will do no favors towards building a farm system.

Edited by Cmilne23

2 hours ago, azeri98 said:

The Rays dealt Mallex Smith to the Mariners for Zunino and other minors going each way , not sure why the Rays gave up on Smith

They usually know when to cut bait.

• Like 1

Rays acquired C Mike Zunino, OF Guillermo Heredia, and LHP Michael Plassmeyer from the Mariners for OF Mallex Smith and OF Jake Fraley.

Full Deal

This Plassmeyer fellow looked nasty last year in his first taste, 16 k/9, rays always doing sneaky moves with pitchers haha

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Gordon trade sucked.  No doubt about that.  He’s a GM that is brought in to make your MLB club competitive.  He’s done a solid job so far, without strapping the club with many really horrid deals.  Seager is an absolute dump — hopefully they can trade Paxton and have someone take that losers contract along with it.  Felix is off books after the year.  Cano will be the last really bad deal left.  They’ll probably deal Dee and take another bad deal back at a position of need DH/OF potentially, or eat some of the salary to have him move along.  But yes, Dipito will do no favors towards building a farm system.

In today's game keeping the farm stocked is such a high priority and Dipoto consistently fails to do this.  Also, the Tyler O'Neill deal looks bad now too.

4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

As well they should be.  The full Rotoworld blurb was:

The Phillies have money to burn but Machado makes more sense than Harper honestly.  Unless they think Franco has finally turned the corner and are fine with Kingery or Crawford at SS.  Phils also, like most all teams, need pitching.

The Phils OF could use him too, they have Hoskins and a bunch of platoon guys

• Like 2

On 11/8/2018 at 9:40 AM, Magoo said:

In today's game keeping the farm stocked is such a high priority and Dipoto consistently fails to do this.  Also, the Tyler O'Neill deal looks bad now too.

Marco Gonzales just had a very solid season.  I’d venture to guess on a trade market Gonzales would fetch more than O’Neill.  O’Neill has plus power, I’m skeptical that K rate won’t get very much exposed over a larger sample thoigh.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Marco Gonzales just had a very solid season.  I’d venture to guess on a trade market Gonzales would fetch more than O’Neill.  O’Neill has plus power, I’m skeptical that K rate won’t get very much exposed over a larger sample thoigh.  

I guess I just strongly disagree on Gonzales. Inconsistent and seems like jag to me

4 hours ago, Magoo said:

I guess I just strongly disagree on Gonzales. Inconsistent and seems like jag to me

Hear you but doesn’t make him wrong about the potential trade value. 

Joe Mauer announced his retirement. His contract was one of the worst contracts in the history of Major League Baseball.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Magoo said:

JAG for fantasy baseball

The game environment favors hitters. Cheap controllable starting pitching that can hold their own is pretty valuable. The trade holds up for both sides  IMO.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

JAG for fantasy baseball

The game environment favors hitters. Cheap controllable starting pitching that can hold their own is pretty valuable. The trade holds up for both sides  IMO.

That’s fair and he may have had some injury issues. Next year will be telling.

23 hours ago, Cdub2k said:

Joe Mauer announced his retirement. His contract was one of the worst contracts in the history of Major League Baseball.

As Phils fan it has to be Ryan Howard. Obliterated his Achilles in last AB before the extension kicked in... was a below replacement level player during the life of the deal.

Edited by XxxOilOverloadxxX

27 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

As Phils fan it has to be Ryan Howard. Obliterated his Achilles in last AB before the extension kicked in... was a below replacement level player during the life of the deal.

Sox fan here obviously.  Currently it is Rusney Castillo and Dustin Pedroia.  Before these there were, uh, ... many many many.  Like Theo's Moby Dick quest he went after forever in Adrian Gonzales which cost them a young Anthony Rizzo who Theo got back from San Diego once he was with the Cubs a few years later.  But not before he signed A-Gon to a 7 year mega-contract in Boston.  It took new Dodger ownership to bail out Boston on that one.  And since the horrible Carl Crawford deal was dumped at the same time too as well as Josh Beckett and Manny Ramirez it was probably their best "bail out of a total mess" deal. 

God, the Red Sox have had soooooo many bad mega-year deals.  Thanks to the Yankees they did avoid one to Jacoby Ellsbury at least.

Now here is a trade that did NOT happen this past summer.  The Astros almost rented out Bryce Harper this past season:

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports the Nationals and Astros agreed on a trade of Bryce Harper at the July trade deadline but it was vetoed by Nationals ownership.

The Nationals would have received three prospects in the deal, with starting pitcher J.B. Bukauskas being the headliner. Catcher Garrett Stubbs was also believed to have been in the package along with an undisclosed low-level pitching prospect. The Nationals were only 5 1/2 games out of first place at the time and ownership still wanted to go for it. The package seems quite a bit lighter than the Orioles received from the Dodgers in the Manny Machado trade two weeks earlier and that may have been a deciding factor from the Nationals' perspective on why the trade was ultimately not completed.            Source: The Athletic

Nov 10 - 3:41 PM

Now Washington will get nothing for Harper so that "little light" trade looks not so light now.  And as they always do, the Nats front office made the wrong call.

• Like 2

On 11/8/2018 at 9:13 AM, Cmilne23 said:

Cano definitely has a good season or two left in the tank. I'd like to see the Ms eat most of Cano's contract. In that scenario they can get back a quality prospect/s. It'll take the Ms 5 years before they're contending and by then Cano will be off the books. Also, by taking Cano out of the lineup, the Ms will suck that much more thus garnering higher draft picks.

As the Indianapolis Colts used to chant "suck for Luck".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Sox fan here obviously.  Currently it is Rusney Castillo and Dustin Pedroia.  Before these there were, uh, ... many many many.  Like Theo's Moby Dick quest he went after forever in Adrian Gonzales which cost them a young Anthony Rizzo who Theo got back from San Diego once he was with the Cubs a few years later.  But not before he signed A-Gon to a 7 year mega-contract in Boston.  It took new Dodger ownership to bail out Boston on that one.  And since the horrible Carl Crawford deal was dumped at the same time too as well as Josh Beckett and Manny Ramirez it was probably their best "bail out of a total mess" deal. 

God, the Red Sox have had soooooo many bad mega-year deals.  Thanks to the Yankees they did avoid one to Jacoby Ellsbury at least.

Now here is a trade that did NOT happen this past summer.  The Astros almost rented out Bryce Harper this past season:

Now Washington will get nothing for Harper so that "little light" trade looks not so light now.  And as they always do, the Nats front office made the wrong call.

The owner nixed the trade not the front office, they have screwed up a lot of things but this isn't one of them.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2018 at 3:35 AM, Cdub2k said:

It turned into a bad contract because of concussions though. It was a time of big contracts.  An MVP with three batting titles and three gold gloves leading the league twice in caught stealing % in a five year time frame.

The contract was signed when he was 28 coming off seasons of 5.6, 3.6, 5.3, 7.6, and 5.5 WAR as a catcher. Even the two years immediately following the concussion he had seasons of 4.1and 5.4 WAR. He admitted in the last couple of years he suffered from blurred vision. 

He ended his career playing in a stadium not suited to LH batters but had become a gold glove caliber first baseman. I watch a lot of baseball games and going from watching him in the field and then turning on the Cardinals with Martinez at first made me cringe (and laugh).