DidiFan

2018-19 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

If my Tribe trades Corey for anything less than a few of the top prospects im going to cry.  That offer is insulting by itself

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Is that because of the contract or because of the way the team is run?

This.

You can sign prime Mike Trout to 10-year $400 million contract but that doesn't make your team a contender. It also doesn't mean the contract is a bust because you didn't win anything despite him performing on a MVP level. It's embarrassing how the Angels have wasted his talent.

The Rangers are the perfect example of a team signing a great HoF player in his prime when they had other holes to fill. It was a bad decision when you look at how their team was build. 

If the Phillies sign Harper then it doesn't make them a contender. It's signing Harper while also adding McCutchen, Segura, Robertson, Keuchel (?) and Kimbrel(?) to their team that makes them a contender. 

Edited by Sine_cera
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, taobball said:

Filter By:

26 YO

30+ WAR. 

I would have to do a lot of research and don't have that kind of time, this list was easy to find, I just included any deal of 5+ years and a contract of $100 million or more.I still stand by my statement that if these guys sign for 10 years the back half of the deal won't be worth it. It makes much more sense to do 5-6 years at 35 million per year as opposed to $30 million per yer for 10, the risk is so much lower

16 minutes ago, Sine_cera said:

This.

You can sign prime Mike Trout to 10-year $400 million contract but that doesn't make your team a contender. It also doesn't mean the contract is a bust because you didn't win anything despite him performing on a MVP level. It's embarrassing how the Angels have wasted his talent.

The Rangers are the perfect example of a team signing a great HoF player in his prime when they had other holes to fill. It was a bad decision when you look at how their team was build. 

If the Phillies sign Harper then it doesn't make them a contender. It's signing Harper while also adding McCutchen, Segura, Robertson, Keuchel (?) and Kimbrel(?) to their team that makes them a contender. 

The Phillies are in a very unique situation, they had very little money on the books and their best players are young, Nola and Hoskins and they have a lot of money to spend, not many teams would be able to absorb or even more important willing to put themselves in a position with a boat anchor contract at $400 million that will haunt them for years.

51 minutes ago, Sine_cera said:

I personally wouldn't have made those signings.

Hamilton was 31 when he signed with the Angels.

Pujols was 31 when he signed with the Angels.

Davis was 30 when he signed with the Orioles.

Cano was 32 when he signed with the Mariners.

Having said this, Cano has still averaged over 4.0 fWAR/season with the Mariners. I know you don't like to use WAR but even if he averages 2.0-2.5 f/WAR with the Mets he will have a total fWAR of 30+ over those 10 seasons. That's not a bust. It looks like a bust because the Mariners didn't achieve anything with him on their team. 

These contracts shouldn't be used to argue against a long contract for Harper and Machado though. All four of these guys were over 30 and that makes a huge difference.

Your making my point, if Cano averages a 2-2.5 WAR until the end of the deal is that worth the $24 million a year he's making? Not even close, that's why the 10 year contract is stupid and becoming extinct.

Edited by azeri98
add

2 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

The Phillies are in a very unique situation, they had very little money on the books and their best players are young, Nola and Hoskins and they have a lot of money to spend, not many teams would be able to absorb or even more important willing to put themselves in a position with a boat anchor contract at $400 million that will haunt them for years.

They are. But take the White Sox. I applaud them for wanting to add Machado or Harper but I don't think that will turn them into a contender. I believe they have some good young talent but I also believe they have lots of holes to fill. Adding Harper/Machado and then signing some other FAs this year or next year would make more sense. If that's their plan then go for it. Don't just sign one of the two and hope the young kids pan out.

Just now, Sine_cera said:

They are. But take the White Sox. I applaud them for wanting to add Machado or Harper but I don't think that will turn them into a contender. I believe they have some good young talent but I also believe they have lots of holes to fill. Adding Harper/Machado and then signing some other FAs this year or next year would make more sense. If that's their plan then go for it. Don't just sign one of the two and hope the young kids pan out.

It can also hamstring them in the future, they are in a big market but aren't considered a big market team, what if some of their young guys become very good like Moncada, Lopez, Jiminez and Kopech, would they be able to sign all those guys with a 35 million dollar contract on their payroll

16 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

I would have to do a lot of research and don't have that kind of time, this list was easy to find, I just included any deal of 5+ years and a contract of $100 million or more.I still stand by my statement that if these guys sign for 10 years the back half of the deal won't be worth it. It makes much more sense to do 5-6 years at 35 million per year as opposed to $30 million per yer for 10, the risk is so much lower

Even if you look at all the guys on the list I provided how many of them lived up to their contracts from age 31 to 36, not many if any except for Max. Manny Ramirez and Verlander and Ramirez was on steroids

Edited by azeri98
add

9 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Your making my point, if Cano averages a 2-2.5 WAR until the end of the deal is that worth the $25 million a year he's making? Not even close, that's why the 10 year contract is stupid and becoming extinct.

The $25 million/year he made during the first 5 years were a bargain considering he put up a 4.0 fWAR/ year. So yes, you overpay for what you underpaid in the first half of his contract. You don't hear owners or fans complaining about players making less than they should. 

And keep in mind, it's not a guarantee that he will underperform over those last 5 years. He could very well average 3.0 fWAR rest of the way and break even. Cano had a 2.9 fWAR last season in only 80(!) games. He wasn't bad last season. He was having a damn good season.

Edited by Sine_cera
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sine_cera said:

The $25 million/year he made during the first 5 years were a bargain considering he put up a 4.0 fWAR/ year. So yes, you overpay for what you underpaid in the first half of his contract. You don't hear owners or fans complaining about players making less than they should. 

And keep in mind, it's not a guarantee that he will underperform over those last 5 years. He could very well average 3.0 fWAR rest of the way and break even. Cano had a 2.9 fWAR last season in only 80(!) games. He wasn't bad last season. He was having a damn good season.

History says he will underperform and again owners and front offices are realizing that there deals don't make sense, sign them to a 5-6 year deal for $30 million a year as opposed to a 10 year $240 million, Lets see how he plays without the steroids

22 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

There are several GMs who believe that even if the #Phillies sign Harper or Machado, they will be aggressive in the market for Keuchel and Kimbrel.

I would not be happy with those last two moves if I was a Phillies fan. Not for the years that they're looking for. Maybe I consider it if they lower their demands.

I still think the Phillies should have signed Morton to a 2-year deal and then go after one (or two) of the big SP next season. They probably didn't expect Morton to sign as quickly as he did. Most beat writers mentioned they were interested in him.

Signing Machado and/or Harper doesn't mean they have to go all-in this season. You have those guys for 10 years. Save some of that money for next year's loaded group of FA. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sine_cera said:

I would not be happy with those last two moves if I was a Phillies fan. Not for the years that they're looking for. Maybe I consider it if they lower their demands.

I still think the Phillies should have signed Morton to a 2-year deal and then go after one (or two) of the big SP next season. They probably didn't expect Morton to sign as quickly as he did. Most beat writers mentioned they were interested in him.

Signing Machado and/or Harper doesn't mean they have to go all-in this season. You have those guys for 10 years. Save some of that money for next year's loaded group of FA. 

I agree I wouldn't sign either of those two. They have Robertson and Seranthony they don't need Kimbrel. I wouldn't touch Dallas . They already made a bad signing with Arrieta

They don't need another over the hill pitcher.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

I agree I wouldn't sign either of those two. They have Robertson and Seranthony they don't need Kimbrel. I wouldn't touch Dallas . They already made a bad signing with Arrieta

They don't need another over the hill pitcher.

At least Arrieta was a short term bad signing. Only 2 years left, plus it got them in good with Boras. If it lands them Harper, worth it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sine_cera said:

The GM did say he would spend stupid money. This would be a promise delivered 

Edited by 2ndCitySox

On 1/11/2019 at 12:50 PM, FantasyGeek2018 said:

As long as Toronto is paying alot of the deal it is what the Dodgers needed. Veteran help for a one year since catcher Ruiz is their top prospect. 

Bring Ruiz up in May. Problem solved. He will fit right in.

2 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

The GM did say he would spend stupid money. This would be a promise delivered 

Thought it was the owner, not the GM.

1 minute ago, Low and Away said:

Yeah I sure hope a GM wouldn't make that type of comment

3 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Was Middleton the owner. I'm not going to be shocked if they get both. 

1 hour ago, Low and Away said:

Whatev

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, absknicks said:

It's amazing how cheap the Yankees have become in recent years and how a large percentage of the fanbase has bought into it... no matter the fact that their primary rival has completely surpassed them in every which way in the same time frame. 

Pretty incredible they could've gotten Corbin/Machado and instead brought in the corpse of Tulo, LeMahieu (.699 OPS away from Coors last year) and JA Happ. And a lot of Yankees fans are happy about it!

Us Yankee fans like how this team was put together using the young guys, I sure don’t want any high price FA’s, we been through that route (2008-2014) it failed. We tried to buy a championship it didn’t work. You have to remember the infield of Teixeira, Cano, Jeter & ARod.....An allstar money infield. Were you ok with those four? 

The infield now is perfect no high priced free agents. It starts with Bird/Vogt, Torres, Didi & Andujar. Then add in Judge & Sanchez. I hated the trade for Mike Stanton.... that contract reminds me of guys like Alex Rodríguez, Mark Teixeira & Jacoby Ellsbury . How did those three contracts work for the Yankees? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sine_cera said:

Ohtani 2.0?

I know the Sox has looked at using him as a reliever/position player if they had retained him. I think you will start seeing more fringe players trying to play the other side of the ball to make them valuable enough to keep on a roster. 

18 hours ago, parrothead said:

So with Myers on the move to the OF, doubtful Reyes is a starter - and what about 3B?  Ty France?   Or Hoz reaching out to his former Royals 3B Moose for a reunion in SD?  Guessing Moose waiting for Manny deal to fall into place.  

Reyes was by far the best player on the team, and he has that Big Papi persona as well, he better not lose playing time for anyone

18 hours ago, WahooManiac said:

If my Tribe trades Corey for anything less than a few of the top prospects im going to cry.  That offer is insulting by itself

it could end up being someone like Margot, Renfroe, Morejon and a low guy in the 12-20 range like Ruiz

that would be a good haul for the tribe, fix their OF immediately, and Morejon becomes their no 1/2 prospect.  Hes already the no 2 lefty SP prospect in baseball with insane upside.  I hope the Pads don't have to include him though

I hope the Padres don't trade anyone from the minors, chasing an imaginary upgrade, just let the system play out, a rotation of Paddock, Lucchessi, Allen, Gore, Morejon, with Baez, Lauer, Quantrill, Nix by 2021 is heaven

I think Baez eventually is moved to the pen and becomes an elite closer type, they also have Andres Munoz a 19 yr old who moved 3 levels last year and was closing at AA tossing 102 regularly

Edited by Golden Spikes
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

it could end up being someone like Margot, Renfroe, Morejon and a low guy in the 12-20 range like Ruiz

that would be a good haul for the tribe, fix their OF immediately, and Morejon becomes their no 1/2 prospect.  Hes already the no 2 lefty SP prospect in baseball with insane upside.  I hope the Pads don't have to include him though

I hope the Padres don't trade anyone from the minors, chasing an imaginary upgrade, just let the system play out, a rotation of Paddock, Lucchessi, Allen, Gore, Morejon, with Baez, Lauer, Quantrill, Nix by 2021 is heaven

I think Baez eventually is moved to the pen and becomes an elite closer type, they also have Andres Munoz a 19 yr old who moved 3 levels last year and was closing at AA tossing 102 regularly

This is exactly the kind of deal I'd hate for them to make.  I simply don't believe either OF is really much. They aren't terrible,  but neither really does much for me.  

I wouldn't consider it a fixed outfield,  rather keep Klub and roll out if this is best they can do.  

• Like 1