DidiFan

2018-19 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

No way Kimbrel will get 6 years but someone will overpay for him and give him 3 or even 4 years.  Glad my Sox won't.

Who will be the full time catcher in Cleveland now that both Gomes and their top prospect Meiji (traded away earlier during the season) are gone?

In what is apparently National Non-Tender Day -- why was this not marked on my calendar, hah -- the following are now free agents:

Billy Hamilton

Avisail Garcia

Matt Davidson

Hunter Strickland

Blake Parker

Wilmer Flores (now you can cry, Wilmer, since you are no longer a Met for real)

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Magoo said:

Opening offer.  Would you expect him to aim low?  Given that Jansen and Chapman got 5 years, he'd be silly to start the negotiation there.

Yea he regressed last year, but someone will still pay.

200.gif

7 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Mets need to back out of this. Cano is not worth 20mil. Rather have Schoop at 10.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

Mets need to back out of this. Cano is not worth 20mil. Rather have Schoop at 10.

its vintage Mets taking on a garbage deal and getting a closer they will hardly be able to use. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

its vintage Mets taking on a garbage deal and getting a closer they will hardly be able to use. 

They can use their "trainers" to keep him on the field. 

• Haha 1

With their pitching the Mets are totally built to win now. People criticizing this trade are insanely myopic. 

5 minutes ago, Magoo said:

With their pitching the Mets are totally built to win now. People criticizing this trade are insanely myopic. 

They have pitching.  But even with Cano, their bats don't excite me.  Just going off NFBC ADP; Conforto 117, Rosario 145, Cano 146, Nimmo 167, McNeil 174.  No one in that lineup really strikes much fear in an opposing pitcher.  

20 minutes ago, svdude said:

They have pitching.  But even with Cano, their bats don't excite me.  Just going off NFBC ADP; Conforto 117, Rosario 145, Cano 146, Nimmo 167, McNeil 174.  No one in that lineup really strikes much fear in an opposing pitcher.  

Maybe not for fantasy but it doesn’t take that much with great SP and a lockdown bullpen as SF proved with 3 championships in 5 years.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Maybe not for fantasy but it doesn’t take that much with great SP and a lockdown bullpen as SF proved with 3 championships in 5 years.

I'm an SF fan, so get it.  And with that rotation and upgraded pen, anything is possible.  Just had not looked at that team at all and was surprised how bad that offense looks like it will be.

16 minutes ago, svdude said:

I'm an SF fan, so get it.  And with that rotation and upgraded pen, anything is possible.  Just had not looked at that team at all and was surprised how bad that offense looks like it will be.

They really improved late in the season. Don’t forget they likely get Cespedes back in July.

21 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

So if Cano to NYM is most likely done, where does McNeil play 3B?  My bigger concern for the Mets is whether or not they intend to put Cano at first (I think he played some there for the M's this year).  This possibly would block their best young prospect, Pete Alonso, from taking over at 1B next year.

I see it

if Alonso hits in spring he makes team as the starting first baseman. Cano plays 2B, Rosario SS and Frazier or McNeill for 3B. 

1 hour ago, svdude said:

Yeah no way can the Mets compete with the talented Braves or Nats or even the Phillies given they will throw tons of money at better players than a Cano this winter/spring which will include a good pitcher or two as well as either Harper or Machado. 

Now the Mets might have a slight chance in the AL Central where Cleveland is threatening to trade away their pitching staff but then only to finish second there so ... just no.  The Mets front office is totally delusional and their impatience will just push back their needed re-build a few more years.

Sad to see Seattle not get something worthwhile for Edwin Diaz but they wanted a Cano salary dump first and foremost.  Another bad front office as this one is all about  trying to clean up past mistakes at the cost of even starting to build for the future yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yeah no way can the Mets compete with the talented Braves or Nats or even the Phillies given they will throw tons of money at better players than a Cano this winter/spring which will include a good pitcher or two as well as either Harper or Machado. 

Now the Mets might have a slight chance in the AL Central where Cleveland is threatening to trade away their pitching staff but then only to finish second there so ... just no.  The Mets front office is totally delusional and their impatience will just push back their needed re-build a few more years.

Sad to see Seattle not get something worthwhile for Edwin Diaz but they wanted a Cano salary dump first and foremost.  Another bad front office as this one is all about  trying to clean up past mistakes at the cost of even starting to build for the future yet.

They are getting 2 former first round picks. Diaz is not Kimbrel or Chapman. Has had 1 really good year and thats it.

Edited by duke of queens

4 hours ago, Magoo said:

You think the Mets are WS contenders? lol come on man.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, svdude said:

I get what you're saying, but who did KC have fantasy ADP top 100 in 2015? Anyone besides Hosmer?

1 hour ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Absolutely 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Basically there are some big "what ifs" but the idea of the Mets contending for the division isn't really that crazy. I think it comes down to two things really can they manage to stay reasonably healthy across a full season. That's easier said than done with the Mets its been borderline comedic the past couple years so you almost have to expect them to finally get lucky in that regard. And the 2nd is can their offense manage to just score enough to back their very good pitching. Cano should help there as he's still an excellent hitter And can Conforto build on his strong finish last year. The big wildcard for them I think is Alonso if he is ready to contribute then he could give this offense a huge boost and really brighten their outlook for 2019. Really the Post Season is such a crapshoot basically you give an edge to the team with impact pitching the Mets have that and now paired with a dynamic closer they could absolutely make some noise. 

Edited by DidiFan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Eddie Mush said:

I get what you're saying, but who did KC have fantasy ADP top 100 in 2015? Anyone besides Hosmer?

Not sure what ADP was of players but they had Cain, Perez, and Moustakas too.  They all had to be close?  Or was that the first year they all really showed something?

25 minutes ago, DidiFan said:

The big wildcard for them I think is Alonso if he is ready to contribute then he could give this offense a huge boost and really brighten their outlook for 2019. 

I agree. But, I hope, and am praying they aren't relying on him to be the big bat they think he can possibly be. I would much rather them sign someone who can fill that role right now in free agency or a trade. If the Met's are in win now mode, they gotta sign some more bats. 

Edited by Maitiu

Mets projected lineup as of today, per Roster Resource. Sounds like Bruce is as good as gone. Still, on what planet is this a contending offense, even if you add Cano? Way, way too many question marks.

1. Nimmo - CF - L

2. McNeil - 2B - L

3. Conforto - LF - L

4. Bruce - RF - L

5. Frazier - 3B - R

6. Smith - 1B - L

7. Plawecki - C - R

8. Rosario - SS - R

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DidiFan said:

Basically there are some big "what ifs" but the idea of the Mets contending for the division isn't really that crazy. I think it comes down to two things really can they manage to stay reasonably healthy across a full season. That's easier said than done with the Mets its been borderline comedic the past couple years so you almost have to expect them to finally get lucky in that regard. And the 2nd is can their offense manage to just score enough to back their very good pitching. Cano should help there as he's still an excellent hitter And can Conforto build on his strong finish last year. The big wildcard for them I think is Alonso if he is ready to contribute then he could give this offense a huge boost and really brighten their outlook for 2019. Really the Post Season is such a crapshoot basically you give an edge to the team with impact pitching the Mets have that and now paired with a dynamic closer they could absolutely make some noise. 

Contending for the division and the WS are quite different. 

3 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Contending for the division and the WS are quite different. 

His point I think was once in the playoffs they could run the table with top flight pitching.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Mets projected lineup as of today, per Roster Resource. Sounds like Bruce is as good as gone. Still, on what planet is this a contending offense, even if you add Cano? Way, way too many question marks.

1. Nimmo - CF - L

2. McNeil - 2B - L

3. Conforto - LF - L

4. Bruce - RF - L

5. Frazier - 3B - R

6. Smith - 1B - L

7. Plawecki - C - R

8. Rosario - SS - R

Plawecki and Smith will not be starters next year. 

Nothing new but here are the final terms. Done deal