DidiFan

2018-19 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

Let Us Overpay for Realmuto Sweepstakes Latest Rumors blurb:

Jon Morosi of MLB.com confirms that the Phillies are "involved" in the J.T. Realmuto trade talks.

The Mets have seemed to be the most aggressive bidder for Realmuto up to this point, but it sounds like they're having trouble figuring out a package that satisfies the Marlins. They've even attempted a three-team trade that would involve the Yankees, though recent reports have suggested those talks are dead. Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald wrote Tuesday morning that a Realmuto trade will "most likely" happen at some point this week.

Source: Jon Morosi on Twitter               Dec 11 - 4:44 PM

The Phillies need starters and an outfielder so they are instead busy into the Realmuto soap opera going down now.  Why not.  Ah the Winter Meetings where GMs run around going bonkers.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

i think they could get realmuto and andujar if they give up thor and nimmo

marlins could get nimmo, florial(or frazier), and another yankees pitching arm (perez,medina) and maybe another mets prospect

andujar is a better hitter than boagarts and has 5 years of control.

That 3 way trade is dead between mets yanks marlins :rolleyes:

13 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Let Us Overpay for Realmuto Sweepstakes Latest Rumors blurb:

The Phillies need starters and an outfielder so they are instead busy into the Realmuto soap opera going down now.  Why not.  Ah the Winter Meetings where GMs run around going bonkers.

And what will they offer Miami? One of their gazzilion OF that aren't good enough?Franco? Alfaro? Kingery is on the trade block already?One of Sanchez/Bohm/Garcia? 

If the Phillies trade for Realmuto then what will they have left to trade for a top SP? It's not like they have a deep farm system.

Edited by Sine_cera
  • Like 2

McCutchen is a Phillie . wow 

When will the Phillies sign either Machado or Harper? 

I thought the consensus was the Phillies had money and they were going to sign one or two high price FAs. 

13 minutes ago, Sine_cera said:

And what will they offer Miami? One of their gazzilion OF that aren't good enough?Franco? Alfaro? Kingery is on the trade block already?One of Sanchez/Bohm/Garcia? 

If the Phillies trade for Realmuto then what will they have left to trade for a top SP? It's not like they have a deep farm system.

Well Alfaro would almost have to be in the deal because Miami needs someone to catch for them post-Realmuto.  But they do have a decent farm given three of four decent arms and a few hitters left.  They would be crazy to offer Sixto but these GMs get into a "Let's Make a Deal, ANY Deal" lather at the Winter Meetings so who knows.

Kingery is really the puzzlement piece with the Phils right now.  A young barely post-prospect player already signed to a long major league contract who could bust or be a good value in a year or two who is blocked now from playing everyday on the club.  Young players NEED to play everyday too.  What will be his value in the eyes of other clubs?

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Sine_cera said:

I'm surprised the Dodgers aren't shopping Ross Stripling since there isn't a spot in the rotation for him.  But maybe they are and we haven't heard any rumors about him.

Look at the Rays trying to making moves. They are also interested in trading for E5. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, High&Inside said:

Think the reason I don't like the Cutch deal is due to years and years of being letdown by Philly sports teams. I see the Cutch signing and immediately think well here comes another letdown off-season. 

It's not like a Philly team won a SB 10 months ago. Phillies in order to not come away with Machado or Harper would have to just say no and refuse to spend while playing a longer game for Arenado,Trout, or Betts.

Call me crazy, but I've liked what the Met's have done so far. They needed a closer.They traded for one of the best in baseball. They needed a 2b. They traded for one of the best in baseball. They need a catcher, and they are trying to trade for one of the best catchers in baseball.

Edited by tonycpsu
Personal attacks removed.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Well, since my last post was bastardized to not make it funny anymore, my point was contrary to popular belief in this particular thread, it seems to me the Met's are adding talent, which they severely lacked last season. I guess that means a lack of intelligence on their part. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Maitiu said:

Well, since my last post was bastardized to not make it funny anymore, my point was contrary to popular belief in this particular thread, it seems to me the Met's are adding talent, which they severely lacked last season. I guess that means a lack of intelligence on their part. 

Adding Edwin Diaz and Robinson Cano absolutely make the 2019 team much better.

Making Noah Syndergaard available does not make sense if the stated goal is to go for it this year.

JT Realmuto would be a nice addition but not at the expense of a young top of the rotation starting pitcher with 3 more years of control.

The Mets should be building around their starting pitching.   Adding Edwin Diaz makes sense if they are going for "it".

BVW didn't trade Noah.   Maybe he's doing some on the job learning.  Have to wait until he's done before giving him a grade.

1 hour ago, Maitiu said:

Call me crazy, but I've liked what the Met's have done so far. They needed a closer.They traded for one of the best in baseball. They needed a 2b. They traded for one of the best in baseball. They need a catcher, and they are trying to trade for one of the best catchers in baseball.

Agree

1 hour ago, Maitiu said:

Only problem is they have holes in pretty much every other lineup position besides the ones you listed. 

• Like 1

Problem with what the Mets have done isn't with the short term ramifications, it's the long-term. They were already a franchise devoid of young talent and now they've offloaded young talent and brought in a 36-year-old with an awful contract and a closer who was on the verge of losing his job just 1.5 years ago. Now it sounds like they're on the verge of trading even more young talent in a deal for Realmuto... which again, will make them better in the short-term but at what cost? The long-term outlook for this franchise is not very good right now and even if they do compete for the next couple of years it's all but a foregone conclusion that they'll have to blow the whole thing up before too long and try to restock the farm system a bit. 

1 hour ago, absknicks said:

Problem with what the Mets have done isn't with the short term ramifications, it's the long-term. They were already a franchise devoid of young talent and now they've offloaded young talent and brought in a 36-year-old with an awful contract and a closer who was on the verge of losing his job just 1.5 years ago. Now it sounds like they're on the verge of trading even more young talent in a deal for Realmuto... which again, will make them better in the short-term but at what cost? The long-term outlook for this franchise is not very good right now and even if they do compete for the next couple of years it's all but a foregone conclusion that they'll have to blow the whole thing up before too long and try to restock the farm system a bit. 

Kinda at a loss as the long-term prospects of the Mets weren't very good anyway. They also dumped an awful contract in Bruce, Cano is what after the Mariners kick money in on Cano make that contract bad but most certainly not awful. While I don't fully believe in trading Syndergaard he does have a problem staying off the DL with 32 starts the last two years. You aren't going to do a rebuild with a 25& 26 year old first year players (Nimmo, McNeal)anyway. By the time the rebuild is over, they would be in their thirties. 

So in two+ years they start over, at least the fans may get that time seeing a better team. Isn't that better than being a farm system for other teams in a constant rebuilding process?

6 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Kinda at a loss as the long-term prospects of the Mets weren't very good anyway. They also dumped an awful contract in Bruce, Cano is what after the Mariners kick money in on Cano make that contract bad but most certainly not awful. While I don't fully believe in trading Syndergaard he does have a problem staying off the DL with 32 starts the last two years. You aren't going to do a rebuild with a 25& 26 year old first year players (Nimmo, McNeal)anyway. By the time the rebuild is over, they would be in their thirties. 

So in two+ years they start over, at least the fans may get that time seeing a better team. Isn't that better than being a farm system for other teams in a constant rebuilding process?

Kelenic has a chance to be very good. And he was one of the Mets' most coveted prospects. 

And what do McNeil/Nimmo have to do with deciding to rebuild? Those guys aren't franchise talents who you base decisions around. 

A chance to be very good or a chance not. 

So you are going into a rebuild with a single A prospect? Me I'd rather a team puts an entertaing team on the field. This being a pipeline of a few rich teams will kill the sport sooner than the pace of play in my opinion.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Kelenic has a chance to be very good. And he was one of the Mets' most coveted prospects. 

And what do McNeil/Nimmo have to do with deciding to rebuild? Those guys aren't franchise talents who you base decisions around. 

No who else had a chance to be very good and were oversold to Mets fans:

Alex Ochoa

Lastings Milledge

Alex Escobar

Fernando Martinez

Jason Tyner

Dominic Smith

Dilson Hererra

Ike Davis

The Mets don't have 1 home grown bat in the HOF or even close. They are very bad at scouting good hitters. So odds are Kelenic will not be very good.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Maitiu said:

There's nothing wrong with adding talent while giving up talent. There is something wrong with filling holes while creating holes.

Are the Mets really going to be that much better when adding Realmuto means needing a new SS and/or a new OF? You can also fill holes and not create new ones. That's what the good teams do. The Yankees aren't going to trade Andujar unless they know for certain that Machado will sign. See, you can also sign a good catcher and keep the rest of your team intact. Grandal put up a 3.6 WAR last season. Add him to your current team and keep Rosario, Nimmo, Comforto and Thor? Now that's a better team. 

Trading Thor would make no sense for a team that is trying to compete now. You honestly want to go with a DeGrom/Wheeler rotation and then a bunch of question marks?

• Like 1