DidiFan

2018-19 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Last five years of Tex contract his total WAR was a 5. He was paid 22.5 million every year. Money well spent in your eyes. 

ARod last five years not counting the lost 2014 season his total WAR was 7.6..he was paid a boat load of money. 25+ million per year and you think that was fine. 

 

No doubt a few years ago the Yankee farm system was rated one of the worse. Signing a high price FA isn’t always the answer. I view these two mega contracts differently ...  than you. 

 

 

 

It is depending on how you spend your money. Do the Red Sox win the AL East and the WS without Price and J.D.Martinez? 

 

The reason the Yankees only won one WS was their starting pitching. CC was their only ace and without him, they don't win the 2009 WS. They invested in Burnett but he was a bust. They messed up Yoba. They gave Hughes a shot but he was very inconsistent. Wang was okay at best. Pettitte was done. Their farm system only had Nova.

 

Look at this list of SP that the Yankees signed or traded for from 2010 to 2013:

Bartolo Colon

Javier Vasquez

Hiroki Kuroda

Freddie Garcia

Michael Pineda

 

Only Kuroda was a success. How different would the results be if Cliff Lee had not rejected their offer? Probably very different. 

 

Did the Yankees really need to trade for Curtis Granderson back in 2010 when you already have A-Rod, Teix, Cano, Swisher and Jeter? They could have used Ian Kennedy or use him in a trade for a SP. Yet they wanted more offense on a team needing pitching. It was quite similar to the Rangers acquiring A-Rod when they clearly needed pitching, pitching and more pitching.

 

Signing a high price FA can be the answer but look at what your team needs before you do it. 

 

 

 

Edited by Sine_cera
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Sine_cera said:

 

It is depending on how you spend your money. Do the Red Sox win the AL East and the WS without Price and J.D.Martinez? 

 

The reason the Yankees only won one WS was their starting pitching. CC was their only ace and without him, they don't win the 2009 WS. They invested in Burnett but he was a bust. They messed up Yoba. They gave Hughes a shot but he was very inconsistent. Wang was okay at best. Pettitte was done. Their farm system only had Nova.

 

Look at this list of SP that the Yankees signed or traded for from 2010 to 2013:

Bartolo Colon

Javier Vasquez

Hiroki Kuroda

Freddie Garcia

Michael Pineda

 

Only Kuroda was a success. How different would the results be if Cliff Lee had not rejected their offer? Probably very different. 

 

Did the Yankees really need to trade for Curtis Granderson back in 2010 when you already have A-Rod, Teix, Cano, Swisher and Jeter? They could have used Ian Kennedy or use him in a trade for a SP. Yet they wanted more offense on a team needing pitching. It was quite similar to the Rangers acquiring A-Rod when they clearly needed pitching, pitching and more pitching.

 

Signing a high price FA can be the answer but look at what your team needs before you do it. 

 

 

 

I think they could have won without Price but not JD, they won the division easily and never went more than 5 games in any series, the JD contract isn't that long, 5 years but there outs after years 2 and 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, azeri98 said:

Machado's deal is being reported at 8 years around $200 million which is much less than what he's asking for, I think the questions about his character are hurting him, so much for the bidding war he and Harper were supposed to attract, teams aren't willing to go 10 years on anybody, regardless of how good they are. Welcome to the new world of smart front offices and wasteful spending in baseball

now reports are 7 years at $250 million, I think that's a great deal for Machado that's more than $35 million per year, I wouldn't give him that much, if that's the deal he should take it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

I think they could have won without Price but not JD, they won the division easily and never went more than 5 games in any series, the JD contract isn't that long, 5 years but there outs after years 2 and 3.

 

Their other SP, Porcello, was another big FA signing. So 2 of the 4 starters in the postseason were FA signings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sine_cera said:

 

So with Pham, Kieramier, and Meadows already there, is he depth or does he get a chance to start?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, svdude said:

So with Pham, Kieramier, and Meadows already there, is he depth or does he get a chance to start?

 

Part time DH and Meadows may sit vs tough LHP as well, what im thinking at least

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

 

Part time DH and Meadows may sit vs tough LHP as well, what im thinking at least

Yeah I'd think...he's not on those guys level with the glove, I think he's mostly a DH...Rays have a lot of moving parts with how versatile their INF is too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Sine_cera said:

As expected.

 

intention to follow....heart or....

 

 

giphy.gif

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Sine_cera said:

 

Their other SP, Porcello, was another big FA signing. So 2 of the 4 starters in the postseason were FA signings.

Lol .. Porcello came over in a trade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sine_cera said:

 

It is depending on how you spend your money. Do the Red Sox win the AL East and the WS without Price and J.D.Martinez? 

 

The reason the Yankees only won one WS was their starting pitching. CC was their only ace and without him, they don't win the 2009 WS. They invested in Burnett but he was a bust. They messed up Yoba. They gave Hughes a shot but he was very inconsistent. Wang was okay at best. Pettitte was done. Their farm system only had Nova.

 

Look at this list of SP that the Yankees signed or traded for from 2010 to 2013:

Bartolo Colon

Javier Vasquez

Hiroki Kuroda

Freddie Garcia

Michael Pineda

 

Only Kuroda was a success. How different would the results be if Cliff Lee had not rejected their offer? Probably very different. 

 

Did the Yankees really need to trade for Curtis Granderson back in 2010 when you already have A-Rod, Teix, Cano, Swisher and Jeter? They could have used Ian Kennedy or use him in a trade for a SP. Yet they wanted more offense on a team needing pitching. It was quite similar to the Rangers acquiring A-Rod when they clearly needed pitching, pitching and more pitching.

 

Signing a high price FA can be the answer but look at what your team needs before you do it. 

 

 

 

WTF does all this with mega years rich contracts given to Mark Tiexeira & Alex Rodriquez?  Absolutely nothing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sine_cera said:

 

Their other SP, Porcello, was another big FA signing. So 2 of the 4 starters in the postseason were FA signings.

They didn't win because of either of those two guys . Price had a bigger role than Porcello but they weren't the driving force behind them winning it was the offense and the bullpen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Eddie Mush said:

Rumor is Marwin Gonzalez to Braves on 3/56...Heyman & Braves denying it though

3 for 56 sounds like way to much in my opinion, sounds like fake news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 for 56 sounds fair to me, but in this market, it's kind of hard to believe. Lowrie was less than half that guaranteed money. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2019 at 4:07 AM, taobball said:

Do I think Cano's capable of another great season? Sure, by the definition of "capable." But I don't think it's particularly likely that Cano is going to make a league switch this year at 36 and destroy the NL East. A reasonable projection for him is something like .285/20+. Is that, at 36, millions of dollars, and a 2018 top 10-15 pick, worth it? I don't think so, and I think it makes WAY  more sense to just SEE if McNeil can be special. 

 

Again. That's the WHOLE point. Could it be a fluke? Sure. But why the f--- wouldn't you do your due diligence? Why wouldn't you do everything in your power to nurture this and try to make it happen again and have an incredible player for free. I spent all last year defending Nimmo from the beginning of the season, but this dude may be a better lead-off hitter from the jump next year. It just makes no sense to not give him a shot. 

 

Brodie Van Wagenen is a joke. Could I be wrong? Sure. But I see this as gross incompetence. The Orioles did everything right hiring a GM. They went for a guy who came up in the Walt Jocketty family of GM's that now extends from St. Louis to Houston to Milwaukee. The Mets hired a former Agent, who probably knows nothing about player development. They went for an "open market" guy over a guy who actually understood the game of baseball and how it should be handled at a fundamental, organizational level. And they went for a guy who, with NO worry about how it would look publically, immediately made questionable decisions to hire two of his former clients well passed their primes. I could be wrong, and he could be making the right moves, but I truly in my interpretation of events believe that I would be a better GM than this clown. 

 

I'd be happy to see them give you the chance.  Your insights have been outstanding the last few years  I've been reading them.

 

The Cano Trade seemed really foolish to me also.  

120 million for Cano for 5 years is at least  80+ million more than he's worth, Diaz is 30 million less than he's worth.
That's -50million.  Net out Bruce's contract, ok.  I personally dont think Swarzak is a total waste of the $8million coming to him, maybe -$2 million.
Seattle is lucky to have made this trade without getting anything else back, let alone Kelenic. 
In 4 and 5  years, Cano's 24 million will be seriously hampering the Mets, and Kelenic could well be one of the most promising rookies playing.
At that point, BVW will be back to making lots of money being an agent,  and people will point to how well he did with the Mets in his two years of running the organization (yes, I expect the Mets to have a good year next year) when in fact, they should be blaming him for the problems he wound up causing.

Edited by tesla

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eddie Mush said:

Rumor is Marwin Gonzalez to Braves on 3/56...Heyman & Braves denying it though

 

that just doesn't make much sense, I am guessing its not legit

 

They have Camargo to be Marwin

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

Padres-Reds-Indians discussing 3 teal deal with Kluber to Reds

How do you guys think a move to the Reds would impact Kluber's fantasy value?

Pro: Move from AL to NL 

Con: worse ballpark, tougher division.

X-factor: Psychological impact. Does he thrive with change, or will he go through some transition bumps? 

 

I don't see it impacting his ADP much, but I think it does add some unexpected variance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was already fading Kluber, so a move to the Reds would basically make him DND for me.  I think the move to a much more competitive division would hurt him a lot more than facing pitchers every time through the order would him.  He'd still be a back-end fantasy ace, but without those AL Central cupcakes on his schedule, he'd no longer be the safe investment he's been over the past few years.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2ndCitySox said:

How do you guys think a move to the Reds would impact Kluber's fantasy value?

Pro: Move from AL to NL 

Con: worse ballpark, tougher division.

X-factor: Psychological impact. Does he thrive with change, or will he go through some transition bumps? 

 

I don't see it impacting his ADP much, but I think it does add some unexpected variance. 

 

I would move him down quite a bit, maybe 2 rounds, he goes from pitching alot against the Royals, Tigers and Twins, to facing the Cubs, Cards, Brewers.  Only the Pirates offense looks weak on paper

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Just end this already. What an anticlimax would it be if both players just end up signing a 1/2-year deal? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign a 2/75 and get a new one after the collective bargaining agreement isbup, hoping for an even bigger payday. It could happen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.