DidiFan

2018-19 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

SUNDAY: The Giants plan on making Harper a short-term, big-money offer, but they’re uninterested in giving him a long-term contract along the lines of the 10-year, $300MM proposal he rejected from the Nationals, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/02/latest-on-giants-pursuit-of-bryce-harper.html

Im not buying any of this. I feel like this is move to get the Phillies to spend stupid money. 

Edited by XxxOilOverloadxxX
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

Im not buying any of this. I feel like this is move to get the Phillies to spend stupid money. 

Why? Harper is 26. The whole reason he should have the bigger market is because he’s 26. The giants don’t have to compete today or tomorrow to have Harper be an impact. They’re a big market team without a big market hitter. I’d do it if I were them. 

32 minutes ago, taobball said:

Why? Harper is 26. The whole reason he should have the bigger market is because he’s 26. The giants don’t have to compete today or tomorrow to have Harper be an impact. They’re a big market team without a big market hitter. I’d do it if I were them. 

In this market you don’t pay a guy 80 million ish over 3 to be on a team that can’t compete. 

Zero chance he signs with SF.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Magoo said:

In this market you don’t pay a guy 80 million ish over 3 to be on a team that can’t compete. 

Zero chance he signs with SF.

Im assuming it would not be three years. 

Just now, taobball said:

Sorry I was referring to the first 3 years of a potential long term deal. 

6 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Sorry I was referring to the first 3 years of a potential long term deal. 

Then that we may disagree on. 

2 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

SUNDAY: The Giants plan on making Harper a short-term, big-money offer, but they’re uninterested in giving him a long-term contract along the lines of the 10-year, $300MM proposal he rejected from the Nationals, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/02/latest-on-giants-pursuit-of-bryce-harper.html

Makes sense. The giants championship window is wide....ummm....hmmm....

• Haha 1

Giants are in a tough spot because they have some horrible contracts:  They are on the hook to the tune of about $110 Million not only this year but also next for Brandon crawford, Brandon Belt, evan longoria, Johnny Cueto, Jeff Samardzija and Mark Melancon.   Not that fantasy always mirrors reality but how many of these guys will even get drafted in a standard league?  Their farm system is among the worst in the game none of those guys are being flipped for prospects.  

So its really a two-pronged approach - try to win in the majors and home those guys bounce back while trying to build up the farm system thinking 2-3 years down the road.  So overpay Harper?  The problem for Harper is that if he does sign short term deal he is doing so looking to sign big deal 3 years from now while still in 20's but does he want to try to earn that deal hitting in one of the worst parks in the majors for a LH pull hitter to put up numbers?  My guess is NO. 

This is just Boras using the Giants as a big market team who will make a legitimate annual offer and it will come up short like most Giants offers do when going for the top free agents.  

• Like 1

So Boras has two superstar 26 year old clients and can't get either of them the contract that they want? Looks like the problem here may not be the players or the owners, maybe it's the agent... 

Harper has to basically sign a contract that is at least equivalent to what the Nats offered. If he doesn't then Boras' career takes a huge hit here. And because Boras is forced to wait on this, Machado is also being told or forced to wait. Looks like the agent is looking out for his own personal best interest before his clients' best interests. 

Sometimes the best offers are the ones made before free agency and it looks like that was the case here with Harper and his agent steered him down the wrong path. What a complete misread of the market by Boras. 

And on some level here Boras has actually done a considerable amount of damage to the entire players association here. I believe(could be wrong) that a 10 year- 300 mil contract would've been the largest in MLB history anyway. If he had read the market correctly then his client would've broken a significant financial barrier. That would've opened up opportunities for other players with both large and smaller deals. Instead his mis-read has cost countless other players, already signed or still unsigned, opportunities for either more money or more years. 

No matter what happens now, I would think Boras days as the premier agent are over.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

So Boras has two superstar 26 year old clients and can't get either of them the contract that they want? Looks like the problem here may not be the players or the owners, maybe it's the agent... 

Harper has to basically sign a contract that is at least equivalent to what the Nats offered. If he doesn't then Boras' career takes a huge hit here. And because Boras is forced to wait on this, Machado is also being told or forced to wait. Looks like the agent is looking out for his own personal best interest before his clients' best interests. 

Sometimes the best offers are the ones made before free agency and it looks like that was the case here with Harper and his agent steered him down the wrong path. What a complete misread of the market by Boras. 

And on some level here Boras has actually done a considerable amount of damage to the entire players association here. I believe(could be wrong) that a 10 year- 300 mil contract would've been the largest in MLB history anyway. If he had read the market correctly then his client would've broken a significant financial barrier. That would've opened up opportunities for other players with both large and smaller deals. Instead his mis-read has cost countless other players, already signed or still unsigned, opportunities for either more money or more years. 

No matter what happens now, I would think Boras days as the premier agent are over.

Why no blame on the players just on Boras ... 

I will write it one more time — no owner should give any player a 8-10 year contract. Harper is all hype. Looking at the raw WAR number, he has had one damn good year out of seven .. two more have been just OK. So that means four out of seven have been crap. 

2 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Why no blame on the players just on Boras ... 

I will write it one more time — no owner should give any player a 8-10 year contract. Harper is all hype. Looking at the raw WAR number, he has had one damn good year out of seven .. two more have been just OK. So that means four out of seven have been crap. 

I can't blame the player here when he was actually offered a 10 year contract and his agent gave him bad advice. If he wasn't offered the 10 year contract then your argument would have more teeth to it. 

3 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

I can't blame the player here when he was actually offered a 10 year contract and his agent gave him bad advice. If he wasn't offered the 10 year contract then your argument would have more teeth to it. 

I can’t just blame Boras .... you would think the whole team Harper sat down discussed what was on the table, what happen to those free agents last year, I just can’t see Scott Boras having the final say..I have been wrong once or twice so you could be right. 

Damn right he should have jumped at the 10/300M 

Wouldn't surprise me if Harper signed with the Padres at this point to a short term deal.  

Close to his LV home.  Machado to the Phils is my guess.

1 minute ago, B&F said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Harper signed with the Padres at this point to a short term deal.  

if machado goes to phils and plays 3b, where does franco go?

1 minute ago, B&F said:

It would be a disaster for either of these two to sign a short-term contract.

Machado is going to the White Sox, Harper might too :), but my guess is that Harper ends up in Phi with an offset chance that the White Sox take him. 

3 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

if machado goes to phils and plays 3b, where does franco go?

Home. Maybe flipped somewhere low-budget for spare prospects. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CrypTviLL said:

It would be a disaster for either of these two to sign a short-term contract.

Machado is going to the White Sox, Harper might too :), but my guess is that Harper ends up in Phi with an offset chance that the White Sox take him. 

I'm in agreement with you on that. I can't see how they can do a short term deal. There's got to be a overwhelming amount of pressure from the player union's side for them to take the best long term deal they can find. At their age there's no way a team won't come along or already have offered a 8-10 year, 250-275 mil deal. It may not be where they want to go but they're going to have to go where the money is. If they don't then the union and players are setback pretty badly here considering the past few offseasons. 

• Like 1

Quick correction to my original post. Boras is only Harper's agent. I forgot that Machado dropped him a while back. But that doesn't change the narrative of the situation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, taobball said:

Why would you assume that?  The article said:

Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the Giants plan to make Bryce Harper "a lucrative short-term deal."

However, Nightengale notes that the Giants "have no desire" to make Harper a long-term contract offer approaching the 10-year, $300 million offer the Nationals reportedly made him last September. It seems pretty clear at this point that Harper probably isn't going to land the mega-deal he sought at the beginning of the offseason, but whether he's amendable to a short-term contract remains to be seen. The Phillies might still be in the driver's seat to sign Harper.

Source: USA Today                                   Feb 10 - 2:56 PM

So how is anything longer than 3 years a "short term" deal?  Short term deals are usually one or two years in my book.  To me 4 years and up are long term contracts.  But 10 years isn't long term, it is twilight zone term contract.  And SF offering him any money at all makes no sense since they don't even have a team for him to play with.

I still think it is funny Harper could have had his twilight zone 10 years -- for twilight zone money too -- if he simply extended.

4 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Why would you assume that?  The article said:

So how is anything longer than 3 years a "short term" deal?  Short term deals are usually one or two years in my book.  To me 4 years and up are long term contracts.  But 10 years isn't long term, it is twilight zone term contract.  And SF offering him any money at all makes no sense since they don't even have a team for him to play with.

I still think it is funny Harper could have had his twilight zone 10 years -- for twilight zone money too -- if he simply extended.

I mean short could have a wide range of semantics or potential options. I was taking it as significantly less than 10. But in 100s of millions can still be more than 3. 

3 minutes ago, taobball said:

I mean short could have a wide range of semantics or potential options. I was taking it as significantly less than 10. But in 100s of millions can still be more than 3. 

Yeah but there was no mention of a 100 million or more. 

It really sounded short in really short like a year or two with SF putting off yet again their actual hard, nuts and bolts rebuild they need to do instead of adding names each year.  I know that sounds insane but SF has been acting insane of late.  As in Longoria and McCutch on a team going nowhere.  But maybe they thought they could sign Harper then flip him in the second half for a bunch of younger players and prospects. 

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

I can’t just blame Boras .... you would think the whole team Harper sat down discussed what was on the table, what happen to those free agents last year, I just can’t see Scott Boras having the final say..I have been wrong once or twice so you could be right. 

Damn right he should have jumped at the 10/300M 

I don’t think the 10/300 was real. I heard somewhere even Boras denied it.

If Harper wanted to be the highest paid player in the mlb he probably shouldn't have mendoza-lined for a couple months, and maybe I don't know, at least be 1st round draft material.

Harper ends up a Philly. Machado to the Sox. 

Edited by dkrocka