DidiFan

2018-19 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

41 minutes ago, Magoo said:

I don’t think the 10/300 was real. I heard somewhere even Boras denied it.

I believe it was more than 300 based on what the owners of the team has said. According to Bowden the owner presented the offer themselves. I don't think they would lowball him personally, if they were to do that the GM would probably be the one to make the offer. But it's still speculation because they never said an actual number. I definitely won't believe anything Boras says though. 

If I were to guess, I'd say he goes back to the Nats on some sort of 8-10 year deal with multiple opt out clauses. 

I'm curious about thoughts on this. If Trout were also a FA today, do you guys think he could get a 10 year, 400 mil contract? 

Another thing I'm curious about. Hasn't Machado been better than Harper? Shouldn't he be the one to get the better contract? 

Machado has certainly be far more consistent over the years than Harper at two more skilled fielding positions.  Why Harper gets all the hype over him I don't know.  Probably leftover from his "teenager phenom makes the majors" PR burst upon the scene memories that just have stuck to him.  Both their personalities leave something to be desired but Manny's is more the negative so maybe that comes into play too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

Harper has to basically sign a contract that is at least equivalent to what the Nats offered. If he doesn't then Boras' career takes a huge hit here. And because Boras is forced to wait on this, Machado is also being told or forced to wait. Looks like the agent is looking out for his own personal best interest before his clients' best interests. 

Sorry but I'm not buying any of this. 

And Boras' career is going to be just fine regardless of any contract that Harper does or doesn't sign.

• Like 1

Aside from landing in Miami (which obviously wouldn’t happen) is there any worse landing spot for Harper fantasy-wise than San Fran? Oracle Park is dead last in park factors for home runs over the last 3 years and the rest of the lineup is trash.

2 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Aside from landing in Miami (which obviously wouldn’t happen) is there any worse landing spot for Harper fantasy-wise than San Fran? Oracle Park is dead last in park factors for home runs over the last 3 years and the rest of the lineup is trash.

True but one could argue there are maybe a handful of lefty power bats that can succeed at that park and Harper is one of them. 

18 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Sorry but I'm not buying any of this. 

And Boras' career is going to be just fine regardless of any contract that Harper does or doesn't sign.

I don't care about Boras so I'm not going to debate that point. 

But you don't think that Harper needs to sign a contract equivalent to what the Nats already offered? Anything less and both he and Boras looks like idiots. Or do you not believe that the Nats made an offer in that range? If that's the case then ok. 

Just now, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

you don't think that Harper needs to sign a contract equivalent to what the Nats already offered?

No, I don't. Maybe he wants to play for a specific team, or in a specific region and is willing to sign a shorter deal with a lower total $.

I mean I tend to think he has a set number in mind and that the Nats didn't reach it, but he doesn't "need" to do anything, and "looking like an idiot" shouldn't even be a consideration. It's a business and there are way more important things at stake

1 minute ago, cs3 said:

No, I don't. Maybe he wants to play for a specific team, or in a specific region and is willing to sign a shorter deal with a lower total $.

I mean I tend to think he has a set number in mind and that the Nats didn't reach it, but he doesn't "need" to do anything, and "looking like an idiot" shouldn't even be a consideration. It's a business and there are way more important things at stake

How many MLB players in their prime has ever taken less years or money? How many Boras clients have ever done that at any point in their careers? The players union wouldn't even allow Arod to give back anything on his contract when he was dying to get out of Texas. Plus we can probably deduce that if he really wanted to play in a specific place and it isn't just about the money then he would've signed already, no? 

5 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

How many MLB players in their prime has ever taken less years or money? How many Boras clients have ever done that at any point in their careers? The players union wouldn't even allow Arod to give back anything on his contract when he was dying to get out of Texas. Plus we can probably deduce that if he really wanted to play in a specific place and it isn't just about the money then he would've signed already, no? 

Harper isn't worth $300 million right now. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

Harper isn't worth $300 million right now. 

I agree.

That's my point here. It's that he may have rejected that offer prior to free agency. And if he did, it's because his agent believes that every one of his clients should go through free agency. In this case his agent may have been wrong. 

• Like 1

I think you're missing the more important part of the picture. Let's assume for a second that the Nats did offer Harper 10/300, and he turned it down. Harper could very easily sign a much shorter deal, worth less overall money, and STILL end up making more money in his career than if he had accepted 10/300. 

And like I said, how he is perceived by fans in these negotiations shouldn't and won't have any bearing whatsoever on his ultimate decision. He's going to do what he thinks is best for himself, whether that be signing for the most total $ he possibly can, getting the highest annual salary he can, signing the longest deal, playing for the specific team/city he wants to play for, maximizing his career earnings, or whatever else is important to him.

52 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Yep.

49 minutes ago, Magoo said:

True but one could argue there are maybe a handful of lefty power bats that can succeed at that park and Harper is one of them. 

Handle it is very different than flourish in it aka Yankee Stadium for lefties.  SF is one of the worst places Harper could land for fantasy owners for sure.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, cs3 said:

I think you're missing the more important part of the picture. Let's assume for a second that the Nats did offer Harper 10/300, and he turned it down. Harper could very easily sign a much shorter deal, worth less overall money, and STILL end up making more money in his career than if he had accepted 10/300. 

And like I said, how he is perceived by fans in these negotiations shouldn't and won't have any bearing whatsoever on his ultimate decision. He's going to do what he thinks is best for himself, whether that be signing for the most total $ he possibly can, getting the highest annual salary he can, signing the longest deal, playing for the specific team/city he wants to play for, maximizing his career earnings, or whatever else is important to him.

What you're saying could very well be true. Since I'm speculating just like you are I'll stop debating that point. 

I'm going to shift the conversation here a little bit... But if what you're saying does happen and he doesn't get a long term contract then Machado better get one otherwise MLB is headed for a strike. Either way it looks like the players are getting the shaft here and unlike the NBA there isn't a so called 'max contract' yet there is an unofficial salary cap. The good news is that it looks like Manfred sees a problem here and is proactively going to help the situation by getting the NL a DH. That should help the players get through the current CBA at least. 

• Like 2

I def agree with you there, and I think a strike is pretty likely in the next year or two

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yep.

Handle it is very different than flourish in it aka Yankee Stadium for lefties.  SF is one of the worst places Harper could land for fantasy owners for sure.

Unless your name is Bonds and you're on the juice it's where power hitters go to die, if he signs there his production will fall off a lot costing him even more money for his next deal.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Unless your name is Bonds and you're on the juice it's where power hitters go to die, if he signs there his production will fall off a lot costing him even more money for his next deal.

This.  SF is terrible for us and him.  Worst of all listed possible destinations by a country mile 

• Like 2

Can the Yanks, Phils, chisox, and Padres figure this s--- out already? I will be sad if the Padres get Machado.

If you're a player and want to build your brand, you don't sign with a team that's tucked away in the corner of the USA and plays the vast majority of their games when the East coast is asleep.  I don't see either one of these guys going out west unless it's to LA.  If Machado or Harper sign with San Diego, they better back up the brinks truck because nobody west of the Mississippi will see them again.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

If you're a player and want to build your brand, you don't sign with a team that's tucked away in the corner of the USA and plays the vast majority of their games when the East coast is asleep.  I don't see either one of these guys going out west unless it's to LA.  If Machado or Harper sign with San Diego, they better back up the brinks truck because nobody west of the Mississippi will see them again.  

Interesting point, but I don't know if it's a valid one. I think it has more to do with market size than time zone. How many guys on the Braves have built a brand?

This is just my perception. You could be on to something. 

3 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Interesting point, but I don't know if it's a valid one. I think it has more to do with market size than time zone. How many guys on the Braves have built a brand?

This is just my perception. You could be on to something. 

The Braves were irrelevant until last year, Acuna and Albies are building a brand

On this day, one year ago, the 2nd biggest FA signing was made (darvish 126M). Hosmer was slightly higher at 144M. 

So maybe things will start happening??!

3 hours ago, azeri98 said:

The Braves were irrelevant until last year, Acuna and Albies are building a brand

How are you defining "building a brand"?