DidiFan

2018-19 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

5 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

How are you defining "building a brand"?

It's all relative, Baseball has very few "Brand" players, Trout might be the only one outside of baseball that fans know or are attracted to, to baseball fans I think Acuna ans Albies are building reputations

11 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

There's some word that Harper is picking by Thursday. 

what a sweetheart

heart.JPG

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

It's all relative, Baseball has very few "Brand" players, Trout might be the only one outside of baseball that fans know or are attracted to, to baseball fans I think Acuna ans Albies are building reputations

Trout is the gold standard but he lacks charisma coming across as the pleasant, earnest guy but not really so much the fun guy.  I'm prejudiced of course but Mookie has the Trout-like stats and more charisma with the out going and happy personality that Trout lacks.  Not at Big Papi levels yet but getting there.  And I think Aaron Judge also has a winning personality as well.  And Freddie Freeman too.  Obviously Bryce Harper.  Probably leaving someone out too.

Anyway to me these four guys are more the face of baseball now than Trout.  Because personalities tend to sell the game.  Trout is a player's player and beloved of Angels fans but he doesn't project as well as the poster boy.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

15 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Trout is the gold standard but he lacks charisma coming across as the pleasant, earnest guy but not really so much the fun guy.  I'm prejudiced of course but Mookie has the Trout-like stats and more charisma with the out going and happy personality that Trout lacks.  Not at Big Papi levels yet but getting there.  And I think Aaron Judge also has a winning personality as well.  And Freddie Freeman too.  Obviously Bryce Harper.  Probably leaving someone out too.

Anyway to me these four guys are more the face of baseball now than Trout.  Because personalities tend to sell the game.  Trout is a player's player and beloved of Angels fans but he doesn't project as well as the poster boy.

If you ask the average person who is not a baseball fan to name a player, i'm guessing 80% of them say Trout. Nobody knows who Freeman is, Judge and Harper , yes Mookie i'm not so sure

3 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

If you ask the average person who is not a baseball fan to name a player, i'm guessing 80% of them say Trout. Nobody knows who Freeman is, Judge and Harper , yes Mookie i'm not so sure

Honestly I don't think they know Trout.  He just doesn't project any personality.  Also his team never makes it to post-season when casual viewers tune in.  They know Mookie and Jose Altuve (knew I forgot one) from the playoffs and WS.  But Trout plays in a giant black hole that is Anaheim.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Honestly I don't think they know Trout.  He just doesn't project any personality.  Also his team never makes it to post-season when casual viewers tune in.  They know Mookie and Jose Altuve (knew I forgot one) from the playoffs and WS.  But Trout plays in a giant black hole that is Anaheim.

They do more people saw him at Eagles games last year through their playoff run, A lot more people watched that than the baseball playoffs, He's by far the best known baseball player, it's not even close.

6 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

I'd guess Justin Verlander because of Kate Upton main stream coverage though the answer would be "I don't know - what about the guy Kate Upton is married to - I don't know his name but know he's a baseball player - does that count?".. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Actually I'm wrong, the most famous baseball player is Tim Tebow, as pathetic as that may sound.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

To be fair Trout has a big following in the Philadelphia/Jersey area since he goes to all the pro games locally and grew up there. It's not a national "brand" but that didn't really seem to be a priority for him. I think he's embraced more of the local legend vibe. Harper seems to be more actively trying to culture a brand. 

Edited by Baur10
  • Like 1

I’m actually happy teams aren’t beating the doors down to sign either . Well as far as I know . There’s no way of knowing for sure but it seems teams are realizing what long term deals do to the future . 

I think the Tigers would still be paying Juan Gonzalez had he agreed to sign. 

Sheffield and Easiley haven’t been been off the books that long. 

St Louis fans were pissed for about an hr after Albert left . Now they are saying Albert who ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, azeri98 said:

Gotcha. I feel that "building a brand" is reserved to the superstars. I think we are on the same page. At any rate, I feel that a large market advantage is greater than any east coast time zone advantage. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Gotcha. I feel that "building a brand" is reserved to the superstars. I think we are on the same page. At any rate, I feel that a large market advantage is greater than any east coast time zone advantage. 

I agree if you area star with the Yanks, Sox or Dodgers it is a bigger advantage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

what a sweetheart

heart.JPG

Random side note:  the company that makes Sweethearts (and Necco wafers) got bought out and they will not be available this year for V-Day.  But they will be back by next year.

8 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Random side note:  the company that makes Sweethearts (and Necco wafers) got bought out and they will not be available this year for V-Day.  But they will be back by next year.

I bought some Brach stock already ;)

1 hour ago, ToO_BaD said:

I haven't seen a Necco wafer since 1989. That's the hottest action on this stove so far for me.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

No Joey Votto? Christian Yelich is another up-n-comer as a face for baseball as well. He was a member of the best outfield growing up, got traded to the Brewers and won NL MVP/almost Triple Crown. Barstool Sports like Yelich a great deal as well, to add more attention.

4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

This one makes me laugh.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ToO_BaD said:

This one makes me laugh.  

Guy at 1:31 is great - seeing him make the realization with his eyes like that, then he was a bit choked up meeting Judge and he had the great tooth gap line. 

3 hours ago, azeri98 said:

I agree if you area star with the Yanks, Sox or Dodgers it is a bigger advantage.

I'd add Atlanta because they have the lion's share of the entire south.  Also the Cubbies are always going to be popular nationally.

• Like 1