DidiFan

2018-19 Off-Season and Hot Stove Thread

Brittle Brett is back with the A's ... again.

Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that the Athletics have agreed to terms with Brett Anderson on a one-year contract.

The deal is pending a physical, which Anderson revealed on Twitter will take place on Tuesday. The 31-year-old southpaw posted a 4.48 ERA over 17 starts for the A's last season, although he held a 3.81 mark across 11 outings after the All-Star break. Anderson remains a poor bet to stay healthy -- he's topped 100 major league innings once over the last eight seasons -- but he could be a quality back-end starter for Oakland for as long as he can toe the rubber.

Feb 11 - 9:23 PM
  • Like 1

Alert to deeper QS league you may have to consider Wins again sooner than later:

The Orioles are considering using openers this season, GM Mike Elias said Tuesday.

Dylan Bundy and Alex Cobb are probably the two Orioles starters who would be immune from such a scheme. Andrew Cashner is currently the only other lock for the Baltimore rotation. Nate Karns, David Hess, Josh Rogers, Luis Ortiz and Yefry Ramirez are candidates for the other two spots, though the possibility exists that the Orioles will add another cheap veteran or two.

Source: Joe Trezza on Twitter                                  Feb 12, 2019, 12:31 PM

In deeper leagues where every starter matters QS is messed up by this starting to change overall in baseball.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

So it's down to Phillies and Giants for Harper

i dont buy it. nothing on nightengales twitter

1 hour ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

So it's down to Phillies and Giants for Harper

Source please.  When did the Pads, Nats and Yanks suddenly drop put?

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Just now, The Big Bat Theory said:

Source please.

I assume hes referencing this. I havent listened, but I didnt see anything on Nightengale's actual twitter feed. This is big news, would at least be on his feed if true. Local radio stations tend to take things out of context; i will listen later tonight

15 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

I really just think Boras is feeding that information to get the phillies to pony up "stupid money"

I mean it's so obvious when Giants all but declare they offered short term deal....then Harpers people announce today they won't accept one. This is just an attempt to squeeze as much money as possible out of the Phillies.

Edited by XxxOilOverloadxxX
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Members_Only_76 said:

What if the Phils won't pony up?

I'm not worried about it. When owner comes out and says stupid money and you're only 5th highest spending team this offseason. They're going to get their guy...Realmuto was nice pickup but to start cooking with gasoline you need Harper.. that would put their offense with the likes of the Brewers, Cubs, and Dodgers.

• Like 1

Just now, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

I'm not worried about it. When owner comes out and says stupid money and you're only 5th highest spending team this offseason. They're going to get their guy...Realmuto was nice pickup but to start cooking with gasoline you need Harper.. that would put their offense with the likes of the Brewers, Cubs, and Dodgers.

I think he meant that the Phillies don't fall for Boras' crap and refuse to over pay.

• Thanks 1

Just now, The Big Bat Theory said:

I think he meant that the Phillies don't fall for Boras' crap and refuse to over pay.

I think they get him 7-8 years 30 mil per. I think that Nats offer of 10-300 evaporated when they signed Corbin... they were never going to sign Harper for 30 mil per and have it in actual be 45 mil with luxury tax. Corbin was a pivot in strategy and then their name only got dropped when Harper lingered. 

• Haha 1

Is there actually a Giants offer?

If so, any speculation on what it was (or would be)?

3-150?

15 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Is there actually a Giants offer?

If so, any speculation on what it was (or would be)?

3-150?

I was trying  to look around for anything, couldn't find any potential numbers.  Might have tried 40-45 on a 4 or 5 year deal.  Who knows.  Hopefully we get some inkling of it, regardless of where he signs.   

• Like 1

Some "just turned on the oven, so it ain't hot" news that I'm sure most have heard:  Parra to the Giants on a minor league deal with invite to ST.  They are also in talks with Cameron Maybin.  Giants brass had said they wanted to go after a couple veteran OFers, so I guess here we are <_<

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For what it's worth:

Stark is a Philly guy, but it's hard to argue with the results.

14 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

For what it's worth:

goldie is the best player of the 3 though.  not sure how he isnt 1

24 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

For what it's worth:

Guess one guy's vote didn't matter.  

8 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

Well catchers that are pretty awesome like Realmuto would have more value for handling the pitching staff too and not just the bat alone and because the majority of catchers suck making an excellent one a huge deal.  But yeah Goldy tops Segura by a mile.

3 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Guess one guy's vote didn't matter.  

Must’ve been somebody from the Mets’ front office.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

Because MLB GMs play in dynasty leagues, not redraft.  :)  Goldy's 31 and has one year left on his contract, Realmuto's 27 and has 2 years left.  Setting aside what each team gave up to get their guy for a moment, Goldschmidt would have to double Realmuto's WAR this season to say he was worth more as a commodity.  Goldy's fWAR last year was 5.1, JT's was 4.8.  If you want to use 3 year averages, Goldy's around 5.1 and JT's 4.1.  Assuming both perform at those levels for the duration of their deals, the Cards get 5.1 WAR and the Phillies get 8.2.

Of course the math's a little more complicated -- you have to account for the Phillies' loss of Alfaro and Sixto, the Cards' loss of Weaver, Kelly, and whoever else was involved...  But just eyeballing it, I think the Realmuto trade was better for Philadelphia than the Goldy trade was for St. Louis.

• Like 1