Flyman75

Franmil Reyes 2019 Outlook

What can we expect from Franmil in the 2019 season? 

It was a tale of two seasons for him. When he was first called up, he hit 6 HR in 92 AB, but he also struck out 39 times to only 4 BB. After being sent down, he came back up in July and looked much better. In 169 AB, he struck out 41 times and walked 20, while hitting 10 HR. So the HR rate was lower, but the walk rate tripled, and the K rate was cut by 45 percent. 

I guess one question is how many games he'll play. Roster Resource right now has Reyes, Cordero, and Renfroe as the three OF starters for SD, with Margot and Janikowski coming off the bench. Logic would suggest that he will play 155 games if he stays healthy and as long as he hits. 

So what does he do in 2019? I'm staying conservative and saying that if he gets in 150 games, I think we're looking roughly at .260-70-32-90-0. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

What can we expect from Franmil in the 2019 season? 

It was a tale of two seasons for him. When he was first called up, he hit 6 HR in 92 AB, but he also struck out 39 times to only 4 BB. After being sent down, he came back up in July and looked much better. In 169 AB, he struck out 41 times and walked 20, while hitting 10 HR. So the HR rate was lower, but the walk rate tripled, and the K rate was cut by 45 percent. 

I guess one question is how many games he'll play. Roster Resource right now has Reyes, Cordero, and Renfroe as the three OF starters for SD, with Margot and Janikowski coming off the bench. Logic would suggest that he will play 155 games if he stays healthy and as long as he hits. 

So what does he do in 2019? I'm staying conservative and saying that if he gets in 150 games, I think we're looking roughly at .260-70-32-90-0. 

With that many OFs, how does he get to 150 games?   With depth like that they won't tolerate an extended K streak like he's capable of.  

4 hours ago, WahooManiac said:

With that many OFs, how does he get to 150 games?   With depth like that they won't tolerate an extended K streak like he's capable of.  

That’s why I said “if” ?. It depends on his growth as a player and the kind of progress he shows. Was his Aug-Sept for real? That’s a question he’ll answer once the season starts. And he’s a far more potent bat than either Margot or Janikowski, and the threat of that potency may give him more leash. 

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

That’s why I said “if” ?. It depends on his growth as a player and the kind of progress he shows. Was his Aug-Sept for real? That’s a question he’ll answer once the season starts. And he’s a far more potent bat than either Margot or Janikowski, and the threat of that potency may give him more leash. 

For fantasy,  i think you'd need to be in a deep 5OF setup to consider him.  Strikes me as a guy that will get picked up and dropped multiple times in a redraft.  

3 hours ago, WahooManiac said:

For fantasy,  i think you'd need to be in a deep 5OF setup to consider him.  Strikes me as a guy that will get picked up and dropped multiple times in a redraft.  

Fortunately I am in a 5 OF league ?. I guess I tend to be more positive about him in 2019. If he produces anything close to what he did in Aug-Sept, he won’t be picked up and dropped multiple times. 

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

Margot and Jani have natural CF skill sets in a big Padres OF. The only other CF option is Cordero.

Has nothing to do with hitting, its the simple fact they are CF's and Reyes is poor corner OF. He's competing with Renfore and hoping Myers stays hurt.  A Renfore/Myers/Reyes OF defense would be god awful!  Non of them had CF reps last year and for good reason.

• Like 1

Yes I know they tried Myers at 3rd. I'm not sure how long that lasts though. 

I wasn't into the hype for him much of last year but he proved a lot the 2nd half of the season down the stretch when he was called back up. With Myers back in the OF mix, I would hope they go with Myers, Renfroe, and Reyes for fantasy purposes. But that wouldn't be a suitable defensive OF since Margot, Cordero and Jankowski are better fielders. This is one of the most loaded OFs. Anybody think Franmil can get 500 ABs? Think he could put up some serious numbers if he does. 

52 minutes ago, Ry34No said:

I wasn't into the hype for him much of last year but he proved a lot the 2nd half of the season down the stretch when he was called back up. With Myers back in the OF mix, I would hope they go with Myers, Renfroe, and Reyes for fantasy purposes. But that wouldn't be a suitable defensive OF since Margot, Cordero and Jankowski are better fielders. This is one of the most loaded OFs. Anybody think Franmil can get 500 ABs? Think he could put up some serious numbers if he does. 

The problem with Margot, Cordero and Janko is none of them can hit. The question the Padres have to answer is he going to lose you more games with his glove than win with his  bat

#FreeFranmil

If I knew this guy was going to be getting everyday AB's I'd love him as a sleeper. He looks like a D-Lineman standing at the plate

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ry34No said:

I read something not to long ago about Renfroe possibly going to Miami...might have been on here. They have to do something because Myers is being pushed to the OF, leaving one spot for Reyes or Renfroe because either Margot or Cordero is going to be the CF. 

15 hours ago, azeri98 said:

The problem with Margot, Cordero and Janko is none of them can hit. The question the Padres have to answer is he going to lose you more games with his glove than win with his  bat

Cordero does struggle with the Ks...but what he can do offensively is so tantalizing that I'd have to give him a decent leash to see what he can do in 2019, especially when considering the quality of his glove. 

• Like 1

i personally love franmil, but just dont see the playing time this season with the pads. if he were moved to say, the marlins in a jt trade i would be all over that but as it stands now i cant draft him but would be someone i watch very closely as the season begins 

• Like 2

On 1/29/2019 at 1:37 PM, Ry34No said:

This is one of the most loaded OFs. 

Most loaded... of any California team south of Orange County?

I mean Meyers is the only surefire starting MLB caliber OF out of that entire group. I happen to love Franmil, but none of these guys besides Myers  has proven themself to be a reliable every day player. I feel like they would all be platooned or stuck in a bench role on just about every team with legit playoff aspirations. Definitely not what I call "loaded" by any stretch of the imagination.

• Like 1

If Harper signs, Franmil is not even rosterable.

The problem is there is not much difference between Renfroe and Reyes.  Sure we could nitpick, but both are sluggers with not great defense (you could argue Reyes is downright bad.)

I don't wish injuries, but if someone like JD Martinez goes down for the season, you probably going to see either Jose Martinez or Franmil get traded real quick to Boston.  Actually if Franmil and a RP gets traded to Boston, I could see them potentially moving Chavis, who is blocked in Boston from playing 3B.

13 minutes ago, Hellgrammite said:

If Harper signs, Franmil is not even rosterable.

The problem is there is not much difference between Renfroe and Reyes.  Sure we could nitpick, but both are sluggers with not great defense (you could argue Reyes is downright bad.)

I don't wish injuries, but if someone like JD Martinez goes down for the season, you probably going to see either Jose Martinez or Franmil get traded real quick to Boston.  Actually if Franmil and a RP gets traded to Boston, I could see them potentially moving Chavis, who is blocked in Boston from playing 3B.

Would tend to agree on Harper, but it just seems like San Diego is bound for Machado. Fits their team better and is easier to fit in the budget. I get that none of Franmil/Renfroe/Margot/Myers are Harper, but it still seems odd to add more to that group while having a glaring weakness at third base. 

41 minutes ago, adifazio27 said:

Would tend to agree on Harper, but it just seems like San Diego is bound for Machado. Fits their team better and is easier to fit in the budget. I get that none of Franmil/Renfroe/Margot/Myers are Harper, but it still seems odd to add more to that group while having a glaring weakness at third base. 

Does Manny want to play third?

I believe Manny is all about himself so he will sign with a team that allows him to play short

19 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Does Manny want to play third?

I believe Manny is all about himself so he will sign with a team that allows him to play short

Tend to agree, however I think he's realized that teams willing to let him play short don't really exist, at least for the money he wants. So if it comes between short or money, my guess is he goes money. Again, that's just my opinion and isn't based on anything factual- just a hunch. 

2 hours ago, adifazio27 said:

Wouldn't they just move Myers back to 3B at that point? 

7 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Wouldn't they just move Myers back to 3B at that point? 

That seems to be the common sense answer, but didn't they already come out and say that Myers would be back in the outfield this season? 

17 minutes ago, adifazio27 said:

That seems to be the common sense answer, but didn't they already come out and say that Myers would be back in the outfield this season? 

Yes, but if they sign Harper and ignore the 3B position, do they have any better options? What I'm looking at is Greg Garcia...yuck. Lol. RR has Ty France as the starter. If they strike out on a 3B, Myers sounds like a better option than either of those. 

• Like 1

At the end of the day, they shouldn't have signed Hosmer.  Wil Myers best position is 1B.  They could have kept him there and moved him to OF if/when needed.  They got too cute.

Edited by Hellgrammite
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Yes, but if they sign Harper and ignore the 3B position, do they have any better options? What I'm looking at is Greg Garcia...yuck. Lol. RR has Ty France as the starter. If they strike out on a 3B, Myers sounds like a better option than either of those. 

16 minutes ago, Hellgrammite said:

At the end of the day, they shouldn't have signed Hosmer.  Wil Myers best position is 1B.  They could have kept him there and moved him to OF if/when needed.  They got too cute.

Pretty much both of these, lol. I can always appreciate a team going for it, the Hosmer move just doesn't make sense on almost any front. 

49 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Myers is not the answer at third. Looking at the raw stats from last year he sure made a lot of errors in not a lot of chances. 

If Garcia or France can field they are the better option. 

51 minutes ago, Hellgrammite said:

I will agree 

• Like 1

Moustakas is still waiting for the big 2 to sign, he's a decent fall back option at 3b...