Flyman75

Franmil Reyes 2019 Outlook

7 minutes ago, mlb2019 said:

Franmil "pre-2019 Joey Gallo" Reyes.

What an exaggeration. Please come back and tell us what Gallo’s batting average was in 2017 and 2018. Then tell us Franmil Reyes’ average last year and right now

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

What an exaggeration. Please come back and tell us what Gallo’s batting average was in 2017 and 2018. Then tell us Franmil Reyes’ average last year and right now

true. I will call him Franmil "Bryce Harper without the contract" Reyes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrBrown said:

Meh, I've moved on from him. He's had enough time to show more.  40 HR isn't all that when you have a .290 OBP.  It's actually been a while since he even hit any dingers.  With a deep bench and other solid options he's nothing special.

Yeah in an OBP league he's a bench for me. For now. OF is stupid deep this year. 

As if his solo HRs weren't annoying enough, he went and hit two of them tonight.

Hack.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Monster night. Was considering cutting him a few days ago... not anymore.

Edited by TexasBlueMoon

On 5/31/2019 at 2:55 PM, UberRebel said:

Yea, even the Chris Carter comp is a little unfair.  Chris Carter was a .220s hitter, and even went sub .200 one of those years.

Franmil isn't burying your average like THAT.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TexasBlueMoon said:

Monster night. Was considering cutting him a few days ago... not anymore.

This guy is simply not someone you should cut any longer.  Even if he goes homerless for a good number of games in a row - which he hasn't btw -  you have to hold.  He's going to easily surpass 40 bombs this year...

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

This guy is simply not someone you should cut any longer.  Even if he goes homerless for a good number of games in a row - which he hasn't btw -  you have to hold.  He's going to easily surpass 40 bombs this year...

...to go with his 75 RBI. Lol. I’m a Franimal fan, but 19 HR and 31 RBI just looks strange lol. 

1 hour ago, n00chness said:

Max Muncy 2018 redux - the agony!

Muncy took a lot of walks. I don't know that's the best comparison, but I guess it depends how you're measuring it.

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

...to go with his 75 RBI. Lol. I’m a Franimal fan, but 19 HR and 31 RBI just looks strange lol. 

I am not going to put too much stock into this and think it will even out a bit over time.  His batting average with the bases empty(.254) vs men on base(.247) as well as his obp (.296 empty vs men on at .293) are close enough to suggest this is more circumstantial than anything else.  If those numbers were greatly different I would have more curiosity to the reasons why.   He hits the ball hard all the time but no one can plan when they actually go out...

Hitting 2nd, especially in the NL, is going to limit RBI opportunities to a degree. Would help if the Padres hit their pitcher 8th frequently. 

• Like 1

Charlie Blackmon had over 100 RBIs batting lead off in the NL. (should have been MPV that season. they gave it to a non-playoff player too)

8 hours ago, mlb2019 said:

Charlie Blackmon had over 100 RBIs batting lead off in the NL. (should have been MPV that season. they gave it to a non-playoff player too)

Wasn't that a record?

I'm inclined to think the odd HR to RBI ratio is more just smallish sample size anomaly.

I bet his RBI numbers are not that bad by seasons end of he keeps hitting this way.

On 6/5/2019 at 12:50 AM, knuckleheads said:

I am not going to put too much stock into this and think it will even out a bit over time

Its not likely to change much when the Padres have one of the lowest team OBPs in baseball

3 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Its not likely to change much when the Padres have one of the lowest team OBPs in baseball

Moving to 4th helps.

Quick research showed that his 59 rbi + run total was the lowest ever for a player with 19 homers. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Moving to 4th helps.

Quick research showed that his 59 rbi + run total was the lowest ever for a player with 19 homers. 

24 minutes ago, cs3 said:

and Renfroe has 58 rbi + run total with his 17 homers.  People can lay off the narrative that these guys can't hit with men on base...

1 minute ago, knuckleheads said:

and Renfroe has 58 rbi + run total with his 17 homers.  People can lay off the narrative that these guys can't hit with men on base...

Exactly. The problem is nobody getting on base, not being unable to hit when guys do manage to get on.

On 6/5/2019 at 6:01 PM, mlb2019 said:

Lets switch Blackmon and Reyes on teams for a year and see how that goes...  

• Thanks 1

Reyes is really more like the 2018 version of Khris Davis without 30% of the RBI and 30 pts in OBP. Note the comp to 2019 Davis looks more favorable for the Franimal.