Slatykamora

Byron Buxton 2019 Outlook

Image result for Good news everyone

This year should be the lowest ADP he's ever had. Thanks to how awful it was and how many people got burned.

He's still really fast!!

He's still a really good defender.

Bad News

He's still Byron Buxton 

Fangraphs  Statcast Profile  Brooks Baseball Pitch Fx  Baseball Reference Profile

(I'm going to leave relevant resource links in every thread I start. Think it could be useful to pool it in the OP)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Prospect lists, especially some of the higher-ranked ones have generally been solid - this guy was No.1 and No.2 overall.  I would imagine that the new managerial hire hopefully would have a plan for him because 2018 was not good.  Agree, he will pretty much be had for a dollar or two in most auctions and at the end of many drafts.  Although...my guess is that in most drafts he will end up around $5 -10 as probably 2-3 owners will be planning to get him, fall in love with that idea in their head and then realize 2-3 owners had the same idea. 

3 hours ago, parrothead said:

Prospect lists, especially some of the higher-ranked ones have generally been solid - this guy was No.1 and No.2 overall.  I would imagine that the new managerial hire hopefully would have a plan for him because 2018 was not good.  Agree, he will pretty much be had for a dollar or two in most auctions and at the end of many drafts.  Although...my guess is that in most drafts he will end up around $5 -10 as probably 2-3 owners will be planning to get him, fall in love with that idea in their head and then realize 2-3 owners had the same idea. 

Completely agree. In auctions,there’s no way he’ll go for $1.  In snakes, there’s no way he’ll go in the last 2 rounds.  I’m guessing more than 2to 3 owners will have him as a sleeper though.  I’m also anticipating him getting some helium by a few publications and industry experts.

Bux needs to figure out how to make more contact and lay off the breaking balls. 

I hope he takes atleast a small step forward this year.  He really can’t be any worse then last year.....I think 

Jake Cave is listed on some sites as the CF right now going into next year.  Is he for real and if so can he push Buxton into a back-up role?

OT:  Got to love a Futurama shout-out.

12 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Jake Cave is listed on some sites as the CF right now going into next year.  Is he for real and if so can he push Buxton into a back-up role?

As a Twins fan, I think everyone was surprised that Cave played this much and how well he played. Molitor really liked Cave. We will see with a new manager if he likes him too. 

My guess would be that Buxton will be the starting CF to begin the year. Defensively he is on another level compared to Cave. 

• Like 1

But Buxton will lose more games with his bat then he will win with his glove . 

He sucks giats balls and until he puts together a WHOLE good season very good season he won’t be on any of my teams of the biggest teases out there . 

On 10/30/2018 at 2:40 AM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Late to the party here, but to start things off in 2019, here we go- There's no way that Cave starts over Buxton to start the season, assuming both are healthy. Buxton's floor is too high from his speed and defense alone (purely baseball speaking, not fantasy), and has wayyyy too high of a ceiling to bench without even giving him a shot in 2019. I do like Cave a lot and think he could be a sneaky good option if the playing time is there, but the guy that he is most likely to steal at bats from is Kepler, and even there. there would have to be a combo of Kepler playing poorly and Cave playing really well

On 10/30/2018 at 7:01 PM, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Wouldn't touch him with a thirty-nine-and-a-half foot pole. 

At any price? 

Because I don't think I'll have Buxton much if at all this year, but his ADP is down to 184. He went as late as 223 in at least one RW Mock Draft. At that price there just isn't enough risk for me to make the same statement about Buxton.

Buxton slid off a base in 2017. Why I mention that as significant is that if he didn't, he would've stolen 30 Bases in 30 Attempts. Not many people do that. 

The stat portion of anyone's brain will never comprehend Buxton. The stat portion of my brain doesn't comprehend being interested in someone who has been so bad. But he still is just special when you watch him just like.... RUN. This is a guy who was recruited by SEC schools (or at least Georgia) to play Wide Receiver. He's an explosive athlete, and getting on base is obviously correlated with being a flat-out good hitter, but players like Dee Gordon have found a way to exist. He doesn't make enough contact for that to be anything like a "comparison," but Buxton could have nuts BABIP in theory, and he could be a dynamite SB asset. 

He's probably never going to be a below-average hitter, in terms of the game of baseball (meaning he will remain worse, if that wasn't clear). But could he slap .235-.265, get 10 balls over the fence, and steal 40-50? Certainly possible. And with his Defense that might be a positive WAR player in real life as well. 

After pick 200 Buxton becomes interesting, depending on who else is on the board. 

• Like 6

I’ll bid him up in my auction league but will be watching who’s interested because I don’t want to waste precious dollars on him . Fool me once . Fool me twice . No facking way he fools me three times 

Guy is the fantasy baseball version of the Detroit Lions: "Next year is the year, I swear!"

Sincerely, a diehard Lions fan and multiple-time Buxton owner

• Like 1

He’s still only 25. I’m not ready to give up on him if the price is right. I’m not sure where his ADP will be come draft day but ideally  I’d love to get him as my 6th OF in 5-OF leagues. In that situation, I’d keep him on my bench to start the year. I could see giving him until early May to see what shakes out. I can understand the wide range of views on him and don’t really fault anyone for putting him on their dnd list.

Unless it's a deep dynasty league he should be able to be had at a price that can't hurt you this season. I had forgotten just how heinous his 2018 was with injuries and this bleeding eyes line: .156/.183/.200 in 28 games. Nowhere to go but up...right?

On 1/7/2019 at 3:04 PM, meh2 said:

He’s still only 25. I’m not ready to give up on him if the price is right. I’m not sure where his ADP will be come draft day but ideally  I’d love to get him as my 6th OF in 5-OF leagues. In that situation, I’d keep him on my bench to start the year. I could see giving him until early May to see what shakes out. I can understand the wide range of views on him and don’t really fault anyone for putting him on their dnd list.

And two years from now some will be saying he’s still only 27. Then two more years he’s still only 29 . Yawn !

On 1/6/2019 at 8:48 PM, cs3 said:

this-is-the-year.jpg

Agreed.

On 1/7/2019 at 1:44 PM, JJ1223 said:

Guy is the fantasy baseball version of the Detroit Lions: "Next year is the year, I swear!"

Sincerely, a diehard Lions fan and multiple-time Buxton owner

Hopefully he legally changes his name to Rodney Peete.

I guess I was too genious giving him bj upton ceiling a few years ago. looks like maybin 2.0.

I have never drafted Byron Buxton, this year will be different. I have never been bitten so I will make it my number one priority to draft Buxton on every team. I have this intuition that this is the year. I guess if I played in 8 team leagues he might not be a priority but since all of my leagues are 12 teamers he will get drafted. I will be hoping to land a Buxton. 

4 hours ago, shakestreet said:

I have never drafted Byron Buxton, this year will be different. I have never been bitten so I will make it my number one priority to draft Buxton on every team. I have this intuition that this is the year. I guess if I played in 8 team leagues he might not be a priority but since all of my leagues are 12 teamers he will get drafted. I will be hoping to land a Buxton. 

I hope so man. I’ve had him in a dynasty for a few years now and this is not how I’m envisioned his career at this point. 

I hope he put in the work this offseason to get where he needs to be. I know the twins had a program setup for him but not sure exactly what that means. I was hoping there would be an article saying Buxton worked out with some current/former players to help get his game on track.