Slatykamora

Byron Buxton 2019 Outlook

39 minutes ago, Miketrout009 said:

2 for 2 5 RBI, at his ADP 177, its hard not to take a chance at him.

Worse case scenario he goes 0.220 40 SB 10 HR, since he will play everyday. The ceiling is much higher.

Or he gets sent to AAA after two months because he is hitting under .200.

• Haha 1

34 for his last 35 in SBs.  If only he could steal first.  Horrific hit tool will always be downfall.  These elite athletes who are taken on ceiling usually falter on hit tool.  They can run, they play D, but they can’t hit.  At price point it’s not a bad investment but I wouldn’t expect him to magically learn how to hit overnight.  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Miketrout009 said:

Worse case scenario he goes 0.220 40 SB 10 HR, since he will play everyday. The ceiling is much higher.

That's not even close to the worst case scenario. Have you already forgotten what he did last year?? Well brace yourself because I'm going to remind you!

.156/.183/.200     5SB    0HR

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I picked him up in my dynasty league. I'm not ready to give up yet. His second half in 2017 showed that he could be a budding star (207 AB, .300 AVG, 11 HR, 13 SB). Last year was a lost year to a hairline fracture in his toe, and migraines. All reports are very positive so far this spring. Today was a good start. I get the guys that say he can't hit, because other than the second half of 2017 he hasn't. Buxton plays extremely aggressive in the OF, and he needs to relax a little to avoid the wall crash injuries. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he becomes the star he was supposed to be. He's only 25. 

2 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Is he really a lock to play everyday? 

Yes of course he is going to play everyday. Why would you think otherwise?

It's just that a lot of those days might be in Rochester!

When he's not hurt I mean.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Yes of course he is going to play everyday. Why would you think otherwise?

It's just that a lot of those days might be in Rochester!

When he's not hurt I mean.

Lol yea I meant with the Twins. He actually has to make the 25 man right? 

Sell while you can get low level minor leaguer .Wake me if he’s doing this toward the end of March off from some names that won’t be working at Walmart the first os April 

Edited by motown magic

Is this going to become the Spring Training overreaction thread?

• Like 2

I am not even overreacting. This guy bulk up 20 pounds of muscle in the off-season. That is commitment and I see great things ahead. He has the tools, now he needs to do it. 

• Like 3

There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I own Buxton in a dynasty and while It’s a nice start to Spring Training it’s hard to get excited since I’ve/we’ve been burned before. 

In a redraft I’d take a flier late in the draft but if he keeps hitting well in ST someone will reach for him. 

He has a lot of talent so there is huge potential. He bulked up a bit during the off-season and hopefully he spent a lot of time in the cage. 

Does anyone know what pitchers he hit homers off of? 

Edited by Under500Forever

37 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

Buxton is like a Thursday night with the boys.

You know you got work in the morning, you tell yourself eh I'll just have a pint, quick snack... 3 hours later you're 2 shots and 5 pints deep throwing your buddy in the bushes for fun. 

Buxton has contact issues, inconsistent approach, hasn't shown us much, and we say we're not interested... but by the end of spring all you see is the athleticism, the past hype, and thought it could magically be the year and we'll probably invest more than we should. 

Why? Because it will be fun as hell... and Shin Soo Choo will be our AM Tylonol.

The John Keats of fantasy FOMO poetry.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

Buxton is like a Thursday night with the boys.

You know you got work in the morning, you tell yourself eh I'll just have a pint, quick snack... 3 hours later you're 2 shots and 5 pints deep throwing your buddy in the bushes for fun. 

Buxton has contact issues, inconsistent approach, hasn't shown us much, and we say we're not interested... but by the end of spring all you see is the athleticism, the past hype, and thought it could magically be the year and we'll probably invest more than we should. 

Why? Because it will be fun as hell... and Shin Soo Choo will be our AM Tylonol.

Thank you for the great read Sir. 

• Thanks 1

even if you want to reach at pick 150 or so that's a hell of a payoff it he hits. (literally) 

b ham braun profar badar polonco eaton have little chance to do what buxton has/can do (I do like profar)

• Like 1

Just took a flier on him as a 5th OF, if it doesn't pay off he's easily benchable/droppable. 

The chance of a breakout is probably slim but I'll take a shot for what equates to an 18th round pick in a 12 team league.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Under500Forever said:

I own Buxton in a dynasty and while It’s a nice start to Spring Training it’s hard to get excited since I’ve/we’ve been burned before. 

In a redraft I’d take a flier late in the draft but if he keeps hitting well in ST someone will reach for him. 

He has a lot of talent so there is huge potential. He bulked up a bit during the off-season and hopefully he spent a lot of time in the cage. 

Does anyone know what pitchers he hit homers off of? 

Jalen Beeks (Rays)

Hunter Harvey (Orioles) 

• Sad 2