Slatykamora

Byron Buxton 2019 Outlook

13 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.

8 hours ago, Baur10 said:

znUS8uK.gif?noredirect

Refer to my sig, gents.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-sports/byron-buxton-says-he-fixed-his-swing-by-himself

Byron Buxton says he fixed his swing by himself

Byron Buxton's goal of having a big 2019 season is off to an impressive start this spring. 

The 25-year-old former No. 2 overall draft pick went 2-for-2 with a homer and five RBI in his spring debut on Saturday, and on Monday he went 3-for-3 with a two-run, bases-loaded double, an RBI single and a two-run homer

Add it up: Buxton is 5-for-5 with two homers and 10 RBI in two games. 

Buxton told reporters prior to arriving in Fort Myers, Florida for spring training that he added 21 pounds to his frame by working out twice a day during the offseason. He's bigger, stronger and reportedly just as fast. 

More importantly, he's confident. 

"He looks like he's having fun from the time he comes in the dugout pregame until we slap him five and he goes back in," Twins manager Rocco Baldelli said Monday. "He's obviously swung the bat really well, and I think it's a nice way to start the spring for him. He looks great."

To whom does Buxton owe credit for fixing his swing that was broken in 2018?

“The whole offseason, it was just myself,” Buxton said Tuesday, via The Athletic (paywall). “It’s my swing, my thought process, my thinking, everything with my swing now is me. I didn’t go to no hitting coach, I didn’t go work out with nobody, I worked out by myself, I hit by myself and that’s where it’s going to stay.

“I’m clearer now than I ever was.”

Buxton, who battled numerous injuries including a swing-hampering broken toe last season, says he's no longer using a leg kick and it's helped him simply step into the ball. 

Twins Daily's Parker Hageman has long been watching Buxton's ever-changing hitting mechanics. In 2017, when Buxton was tearing up MLB pitching during his best stretch as a pro, Hageman tracked five variations of Buxton's mechanics.

1. Leg kick, open stance, hand movement
  2. No leg kick, open stance, hand movement
  3. No stride, foot lift, closed stance, higher hand movement
  4. No stride, no foot lift, closed stance, lower hand movement
  5. Foot stride, closed stance, lower hands and less movement
  7. Buxton was terrible to start the 2017 season, but once he ditched the leg kick and reduced pre-swing movement he became a force in the middle of the Twins' batting order. 

Hageman believes Buxton's current swing is similar to the one he finished 2017 with, and that's nothing but good news for the Twins. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

1-2 with a walk and his 3rd homer of the spring today. Over the past 14 NFBC drafts in the last 3 days his ADP has climbed to 154 over that sample. It was around 190 a month ago. Save some for the regular season, kid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

here we go again... Don't bite....don't bite.

Draft now before pick 100....and you get free HBO

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Enjoy it guys... this is our feast... meaning until the reg season starts

• Like 2

I really like him, good down to earth dude. Hope he sticks it to the doubters and has a killer year. If he hits some and throws up a 6-7 WAR season... he will get some crazy headlines.

twins handled him so badly last year. Hit him 2 hole or something and just leave him alone for 160 games. See what happens 

11 hours ago, meh2 said:

1-2 with a walk and his 3rd homer of the spring today. Over the past 14 NFBC drafts in the last 3 days his ADP has climbed to 154 over that sample. It was around 190 a month ago. Save some for the regular season, kid.

He sure is going to make it hard on everyone on how soon to draft him isn't he? MY lg has 27 rounds. Told myself not before rd 20, but now here we go again?

10 hours ago, mevins31 said:

I really like him, good down to earth dude. Hope he sticks it to the doubters and has a killer year. If he hits some and throws up a 6-7 WAR season... he will get some crazy headlines.

twins handled him so badly last year. Hit him 2 hole or something and just leave him alone for 160 games. See what happens 

Even at his best Buxton doesn't take many walks, so hitting him 2nd would be a mistake.  His OBP is l likely going to top out around 310 to 330.  As a Twins fan I hope this is a sign of things to find, but it is still only spring training.  If I could get him at a discount, I'd buy for 20 to 30 SB and hope for more.  His defense will keep him on the field, but he's a risk for injury due to that defense too.  He's a great CF and aggressive so he is prone to injuries.

• Thanks 1

So what, 7 hole? 8 hole? Just hoping for top of the lineup so he’s not being expected to develop while his lineup protection is Mitch Garver

He wouldn't develop if he had Trout and Harper around him. He is what he is. A BIG TEASE !!

This cat is starting to get too much hype. I would have drafted him if he was going for 1 or 2 dollars, but he has been 4 or 6 in my drafts. Im out

Even in 2017. He had cliffs and valleys. He will probably take off this year. I constantly keep/draft guys a year to early. Go Bux Go! Go Bux Go! Hey fantasy player whaddayasay, Bux gonna break some hearts today.

Posted (edited)

Byron Buxton went 2-for-3 with two stolen bases and a run scored Monday in the Twins' Grapefruit League win over the Red Sox.

Both steals came against Christian Vazquez, who has one of the best arms of any catcher in the sport. Buxton is now batting .448 with a 1.451 OPS, four home runs, 13 RBI, and three steals in 12 games this spring. Perhaps a big breakout is coming in what will be his age-25 campaign.

Lol. This dude is raking this spring. I think ya gotta start paying attention a bit. Still only 25 . Maybe the light switch has finally clicked on

Edited by OrangeCrush

8 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

Byron Buxton went 2-for-3 with two stolen bases and a run scored Monday in the Twins' Grapefruit League win over the Red Sox.

Both steals came against Christian Vazquez, who has one of the best arms of any catcher in the sport. Buxton is now batting .448 with a 1.451 OPS, four home runs, 13 RBI, and three steals in 12 games this spring. Perhaps a big breakout is coming in what will be his age-25 campaign.

Lol. This dude is raking this spring. I think ya gotta start paying attention a bit. Still only 25 . Maybe the light switch has finally clicked on

Wake me up when he does this in the regular season, etc. etc.

17 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

At this point I’m just hoping for health. Just because he’s striking out 30% doesn’t mean he can’t go 15-30

Price is still right 

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Wake me up when he does this in the regular season, etc. etc.

I agree, when the ball starts moving he generally becomes one of the worst hitters in Major League Baseball.  I don’t have a lot of confidence he can hit in a regular season until he shows much different plate discipline.  Feasting on stretching out pitchers BP fastball and changeups as they condition arms for regular seasons does zero for me to move needle on excitement.  I’ll be watching for what kind of counts he’s working early in season before I get excited.

Edited by Cmilne23

For the price of almost nothing, I will bite but don't get fooled into expecting much of anything. Just a standard late round lotto ticket

Its a wise man who rules the stars. Its a fool that is ruled by them. Spring stats don't mean crap !!!!

2 minutes ago, motown magic said:

Its a wise man who rules the stars. Its a fool that is ruled by them. Spring stats don't mean crap !!!!

But you are comparing superstition and the limitations of exhibition stats?

I am taking a flyer, got some good deals on some players I wanted in one league and I neglected steals a little.  Scary that he's batting 9th.  Unacceptable - will hurt his counting stats.  One bright note, if Kepler hits a little bit, can easily score more runs because of his speed.

Call it what you want. Just remember this in June when a bunch of us tried to warn you .