Slatykamora

Byron Buxton 2019 Outlook

Yes those numbers would be tolerable . But keep mind two stats . 

If you looked at his projections a week ago did the rest of the season those numbers would have been higher . 

But given his current pace (last 10 games ) his numbers are somewhat padded . 

Lets see what the projections for the rest of the season look like a week from now . 

That good start helped those numbers 

He’s coming back to earth 

think we see different projections as he falls more every week 

49 minutes ago, motown magic said:

That good start helped those numbers 

He’s coming back to earth 

think we see different projections as he falls more every week 

I get what you're sayin and dont disagree at all. But if he has a good week, the projections will go up as well. Baseball is wild week to week. Thats why there is more volatility in h2h leagues over roto. Im just tryin to be positive and see the overall small sample size of 30 games instead of looking into a smaller sample of a small sample size I guess is what Im sayin.

40 minutes ago, motown magic said:

And I’m going by this guys history . Streaky but mostly trash.

Yes hes been trash BUT heres an optimistic stat. Today he hit his 14th double in 95 ABs. in 2017, he had 14 doubles the whole season in 460ABs. There are reasons to be optimistic. Thats 1 of them. Come get on the positive train :)

giphy.gif

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Cdub2k said:

In Points leagues his SBs aren't that big of a deal so in leagues like that he's cut worthy

Buxton is solid gold in netSB leagues. 

I thought I would bring this clown back up since the tread has cooled off . Speaking of cooled off in case you haven't been paying attention. The last 7 games

22 AB

5 Hits

1 sb

3 bb

1 rbi

4 k's

Batting average now down to .248

OBP down to .305

Still sitting on 15 doubles

Still sitting on 1 hr

Yes he has 8 steals but 4 came the first 10-12 games. Plus he's been caught 2 times. Still 75%

Byron Suxton, yeah I’m still holding and only playing him if winds blowing out 20mph or more. Or if the rest of my team has a day off.

• Like 2

What would it take for him to move up in the order? Cruz, Kepler and Schoop all out of the lineup and he's still stuck in the 9 hole. He's leading the majors in Doubles!

On 5/11/2019 at 10:08 AM, motown magic said:

I thought I would bring this clown back up since the tread has cooled off . Speaking of cooled off in case you haven't been paying attention. The last 7 games

22 AB

5 Hits

1 sb

3 bb

1 rbi

4 k's

Batting average now down to .248

OBP down to .305

Still sitting on 15 doubles

Still sitting on 1 hr

Yes he has 8 steals but 4 came the first 10-12 games. Plus he's been caught 2 times. Still 75%

He's gone 5 for 7 since you made this post. Keep bumping this thread every time he hits a little slump, his owners will appreciate it! 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Anyone think he'll move up in the order if Cruz is hurt? He's batting .276 stuck at the bottom of the order. I think if he moves up he could realistically end up around .280 35 SB 10-15HR 80 runs 70 RBI. That's not to bad for a 4th or 5th OF.

Edited by CJT
accidently hit send before i was done

12 minutes ago, neljak25 said:

What would it take for him to move up in the order? Cruz, Kepler and Schoop all out of the lineup and he's still stuck in the 9 hole. He's leading the majors in Doubles!

They are winning and he’s doing well. No reason to mess with that.

They will have to move the order around if Cruz is on the IL.

Good deal. I hadn't heard yet. I was hoping he'd be ok. never know with a wrist injury on a swing. I still think Buxton will hit his way up the order as it warms up. I think some of those doubles will turn into HR's.

42 minutes ago, CJT said:

Anyone think he'll move up in the order if Cruz is hurt? He's batting .276 stuck at the bottom of the order. I think if he moves up he could realistically end up around .280 35 SB 10-15HR 80 runs 70 RBI. That's not to bad for a 4th or 5th OF.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets a look there against lefties in the near future. He’s really having a solid season across the board though it hasn’t quite translated to fantasy. His exit velo, hard hit rate, launch angle, and number of doubles leads me to believe we’ll see some homers coming.

Amazing to me that this guy is batting ninth in this lineup.  Marwin Gonzalez should be ninth and Buxton should move up to sixth, at least.  He's on pace to break the MLB record for doubles ... hitting ninth!!!

If it wasn't for past struggles/disasters/crushing-disappointment he'd be looked upon more favorably.  Everything trending the right direction and there's maybe ten guys in the majors who might steal 40 bases without being horrific, Billy-Hamilton-esque black holes in every other category.  He's one of them.  

• Like 2

He's the 26th ranked OF on the player rater and only 65% owned on ESPN.

Buxton and Yelich are the only two guys in MLB with 8+ steals and over .800 OPS at the moment. Although granted, Buxton's .806 OPS is a far cry from Yelich's 1.198.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Buxton may have some stats you can cherry pick to compare to Yelich but that is a joke. I was surprised to see Buxton does lead the league in doubles and his average so far has been decent. you would figure he would have more stolen bases with that.

13 minutes ago, mlb2019 said:

Buxton may have some stats you can cherry pick to compare to Yelich but that is a joke. I was surprised to see Buxton does lead the league in doubles and his average so far has been decent. you would figure he would have more stolen bases with that.

Well, he is batting NINTH.  That's going to significantly cut down on everything, including stolen bases.

Another interesting note: Buxton has never stolen third in the majors.  With all these doubles, he's actually robbing himself of his own stolen base opportunities until he starts stealing third!

15 minutes ago, mlb2019 said:

There are only 6 guys in baseball with more steals than Buxton's 8, which is a 33 steal pace right now.

And obviously I wasn't comparing him to Yelich to suggest they have similar value. I only said they were the only two in baseball with .800+ OPS and 8 +steals.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Most of us paid barely anything for Buxton and steals are scarce as hell so not sure what the race to sell high is. Who are you going to replace his stolen bases with? 

Edited by loro1991
  • Like 1

Buxton is the fastest base runner in the MLB. having that many doubles would have some effect on the stolen bases.

36 minutes ago, loro1991 said:

Most of us paid barely anything for Buxton and steals are scarce as hell so not sure what the race to sell high is. Who are you going to replace his stolen bases with? 

I don't see anyone advocating to sell high here. If anything the article @abachar posted suggests he's a buy low target. His fantasy stats have actually been rather tepid while the underlying metrics are suggesting he's capable of much more, hence the buy low.

• Like 2