Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dodgerblues

20-year old Gregory Halman on pace for 40-40

2009: starts the year in AA, possible call-up to AAA around the all-star break, cup of coffee in Seattle.

2010: competes for starting job in spring training, probably starts in AAA and comes up after a month.

2-5 last night with two more doubles. Very impressive kid!

As an owner of Greg Halman in the deep keeper league I'm a member of, penning a piece about his possibly having a fatal flaw is not exactly fun. In wanting to believe in his speed/power combination, I try to overlook his propensity for striking out too often and not walking quite enough. However, he does have youth and athleticism on his side and could improve his ratios with further development.

Halman, an IFA from the Netherlands, is in his 4th professional season. Take a look at his numbers by age.

Age 17 - .258/.350/.449 with 1 SB in Rk

Age 18 - .259/.295/.509 with 10 SB in A-

Age 19 - .252/.312/.454 with 31 SB in A & A-

Age 20 - .275/.323/.532 with 29 SB in A+ & AA (current)

While these numbers look rather steady from year to year, Halman bombed to the tune of .182/.234/.273 line with an alarming 77/8 K/BB ratio during his first taste of full season ball in 2007. After his demotion and a 3rd round of short season baseball, he began to excel. His .307/.371/.597 explosion served as a springboard for his stellar 2008. Halman has even cut his caught stealing numbers down en route to an almost guaranteed 30/30 campaign.

Even with his current success, Halman has questions surrounding his overall game which need to be answered. With 162 K's in 2006 and another 140-150 expected this season, does Halman have the contact skills to allow his production to match his talent? His walk rate remains unimpressive, but a drop in strikeouts has improved his K/BB rate to just over 5/1 which is still very poor. Will Seattle continue to rush him through the system and deny him the opportunity to fully develop before he can fix his flaw?

Fortunately, he's still very young and his athletic ability is unmatched in the Seattle organization although Michael Saunders might argue that statement. 2009 should see his prospect rankings surge and he has an outside chance at the #1 spot within the organization. I won't bet against Halman, but he certainly warrants the Mike Cameron comparisons so many other power/speed players with high strikeout rates carry. While Cameron had a nice run as a #3/4 fantasy outfielder for a handful of years, few managers if any would cross their fingers hoping a player ends up being like that Mike.

BA has him ranked #1 in Seattle above Triunfiel and Aumont. Does everybody agree with this? Is he too risky to target him in my next draft?

His AFL #'s reiterate my thoughts on his K-rate and overall projections. 83 ab's.......2 bb's.........37 k's.........yikes!

He crushed lefties when making contact, but hit well under .200 against righties w/ a strikeout every other ab!

Halman's is the epitome of a Boom-Bust prospect. Personally, I like guys with good PD so I'm not as big a fan of Halman as others are. He's a good prospect though.

Started off awful this year and then got hurt. Finally got his average over 200 (.210) with a 6/10, 4 HRs, 6 RBIs in the past 2 games. Line to date:

.210, 20 HRs, 48 RBIs, 40 Runs, 5 SBs......the key negative is 111 Ks and 6 BBs

Hitting .326 past 10 games though