IlliniGuy76

Kris Bryant 2019 Outlook

I’m not sure I’d invest a top 3 (rounds) pick at this point.  I’d have to see some results first.  The mechanical changes worry me.  Guys who tinker with their swings a lot to offset pain can get into a lot of very bad habits.  He doesn’t run, and even before last year in 2017 he had a fully healthy 29/74 season.  Not sure if he’s really a fantasy stat stuffer, or more so a good real life OPS bat when going well.  This year should give us a lot more answers.

• Like 2

Yeah, I think I'd have to have him heavily discounted for this year. 

2 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

I’m not sure I’d invest a top 3 (rounds) pick at this point.  I’d have to see some results first.  The mechanical changes worry me.  Guys who tinker with their swings a lot to offset pain can get into a lot of very bad habits.  He doesn’t run, and even before last year in 2017 he had a fully healthy 29/74 season.  Not sure if he’s really a fantasy stat stuffer, or more so a good real life OPS bat when going well.  This year should give us a lot more answers.

This. We have a meaningful sample of what Kris Bryant is. He is not a first or second round guy. Add in the health concerns and decline. I need a heavy discount, wont take him before the 4th

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoHablaIngles said:

This. We have a meaningful sample of what Kris Bryant is. He is not a first or second round guy. Add in the health concerns and decline. I need a heavy discount, wont take him before the 4th

Then you won't take him.  He is already pre-season rated #28 on Yahoo.  And he will probably be taken in the second round in most redraft leagues.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Then you won't take him.  He is already pre-season rated #28 on Yahoo.  And he will probably be taken in the second round in most redraft leagues.

that is correct

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

honest question, are you buying him there if you have the chance?

5 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

honest question, are you buying him there if you have the chance?

I'm only in dynasty, not redrafts.  But if I were?  It would be a toss-up.  If I thought I could get Eugenio Suarez later I'd pass on Bryant in the second round.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Thank you for this. 

For those who didn’t care to read the article, it states that the injury was a bone bruise caused by a slide into first base against the Reds and he needed rest in order for it to heal. To our knowledge and from what he’s said, it’s nothing labrum or rotator cuff related and should be full strength for 2019 - so buy at his discounted price.

• Like 2

That's good to hear that bryant says he is healthy. That being said, corey seager said he was fully healthy last year too. I take these player proclomations at the the start of spring training with a huge grain of salt. 

And here's the thing, even if Bryant is in deed fully healthy.. I dont think his ADP is a discount. He's going at 30 in yahoo. 

Even before the shoulder injury last year, Bryant wasnt returning first or second round value

Edited by NoHablaIngles
  • Like 1

Bryant is very polarizing right now.

I agree strongly with NoHablaLngles. Player proclamations mean almost nothing. His ADP at 30 is very high for someone who completely bombed last year. If it was in the 40 range, I'd be all in, but as it stands, it's hard to justify. 

Does the fact that it’s his left shoulder assuage any concerns? I mean, yeah, you need both shoulders to swing, but doesn’t the right shoulder (for RHBs) generate most of the power?

1 hour ago, UberRebel said:

Does the fact that it’s his left shoulder assuage any concerns? I mean, yeah, you need both shoulders to swing, but doesn’t the right shoulder (for RHBs) generate most of the power?

I think it’s the other way around. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, UberRebel said:

Being afraid of pain in the left shoulder during the follow through handicaps the power stroke.

• Like 1

Sat, Feb 23

Kris Bryant went 2-for-2 with a two-run homer in the Cubs' win over the Brewers in their Cactus League opener on Saturday.

Advice: Bryant kicked off the spring with a mammoth dinger to left-center field off Brewers starter Chase Anderson. He also singled to left field in the third inning. The 27-year-old slugger, who suffered a left shoulder injury in late June and was plagued by lingering discomfort throughout the second half of last season, appears to be fully healthy and primed for a bounce-back campaign.

This is definitely a solid start to spring training considering the caution around his power. I personally am buying a bounce back, but the reassurance is nice to have. Will be worth monitoring as we enter draft season, although you might not be able to wait long if he starts hot. 

Another one handed follow through, another bomb.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

Man...that big head got in the way of the swing.

10 hours ago, 89Topps said:

This swing looked much more natural than the first one as well. Good sign. 

Where his ADP at these days? How much of a forward creep do we expect to see? I am very high on him, just feel that the reach to get him now, may cause a whole change in strategy on my end

2 hours ago, MichiganxTrumbull said:

Where his ADP at these days? How much of a forward creep do we expect to see? I am very high on him, just feel that the reach to get him now, may cause a whole change in strategy on my end

Here's a good resource for that.

https://playnfbc.shgn.com/adp

Looks like he's around 33-34.

Guy got drilled in the head last year on top of the bone bruise. He is a safe bet for elite OPS as his hit tool is on Joey Votto's level. The power is discouraging, and he's not coming at much of a discount, but he's up there with Rendon and Votto for safest OBP/SLG ratio bets you can have, with the potential to go off at any time. I had him last year and understand the frustration or hesitance, but his baseball IQ and talent pedigree are at the highest level.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, loro1991 said:

Guy got drilled in the head last year on top of the bone bruise. He is a safe bet for elite OPS as his hit tool is on Joey Votto's level. The power is discouraging, and he's not coming at much of a discount, but he's up there with Rendon and Votto for safest OBP/SLG ratio bets you can have, with the potential to go off at any time. I had him last year and understand the frustration or hesitance, but his baseball IQ and talent pedigree are at the highest level.  

Its not the talent or baseball iq that worries me. Its the shoulder.

Has there ever been mention of the issue related to his labrum? Or was it cryptic. I know it bothered me that they never gave a clear diagnosis last year.