IlliniGuy76

Kris Bryant 2019 Outlook

EVERYTHING locally from the Cubs, beat reporters who follow the Cubs etc. say he's completely healthy & is just going through a slump.  We shall see.....

9 hours ago, parrothead said:

Stick he is the exact type of guy the Giants need - RH power hitter - can play corner or LF - 

Dude, I would take anyone from the Cubs that can hit .250 at this point. Haha. 

Giants are sad. I might have to root for the Pads in September/Oct! 

9 hours ago, parrothead said:

Stick he is the exact type of guy the Giants need - RH power hitter - can play corner or LF - 

Dude, I would take anyone from the Cubs that can hit .250 at this point. Haha. 

Giants are sad. I might have to root for the Pads in September/Oct! 

Posted (edited)

Wind's blowing out 20+ MPH today and he's facing a lefty starter. Recipe for a slump buster

Edited by Del Rio
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Has Rendon leapfrogged ahead of Bryant at this point?

You ready to go there?

Absolutely, Pitchers have figured him out and he can't adjust, one of the most overrated guys in fantasy

59 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Has Rendon leapfrogged ahead of Bryant at this point?

You ready to go there?

Yes - honestly he leapfrogged him a couple of years ago.  Rendon is consistent as hell. Look at his last 3 years and compare to Bryant's.  Mind you Rendon missed like 26 games last year - and still had 24 and 92.

9 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

Yes - honestly he leapfrogged him a couple of years ago.  Rendon is consistent as hell. Look at his last 3 years and compare to Bryant's.  Mind you Rendon missed like 26 games last year - and still had 24 and 92.

Really? I'm pretty sure Bryant was taken ahead of Rendon in virtually every draft this year...

Just now, My Dinner With Andre said:

Really? I'm pretty sure Bryant was taken ahead of Rendon in virtually every draft this year...

Oh no I agree with you in terms of draft position.  I am talking leapfrogged in terms of actual/fantasy value and production.  That's what I meant.

My problem with trading away Bryant is that the projection systems love him.  Steamer has him #20 batter ROS.  Projected to get a helpful 7 or so steals, mid 20s HR and lots of R/RBIs with solid average.  All that adds up to value.  He may not give superstar numbers and may be overrated, but his cumulative production is going to be hard to get back in a trade.

8 minutes ago, bluefrogguy said:

My problem with trading away Bryant is that the projection systems love him.  Steamer has him #20 batter ROS.  Projected to get a helpful 7 or so steals, mid 20s HR and lots of R/RBIs with solid average.  All that adds up to value.  He may not give superstar numbers and may be overrated, but his cumulative production is going to be hard to get back in a trade.

Theoretically...

I'm stuck with him for a second year in a row. I bought into all the bounce back year talk and paid up for him again at auction.

Now I'm starting to make contingency plans at the 3B position in the event he never really snaps out of it. Can't believe I'm in this position again, it feels EXACTLY like last year when he wasn't that great even when he was healthy, and then injuries derailed his season completely. 

At this point he's becoming a guy who other owners will steer clear from in a trade. If I could get 75-80 cents on the dollar I'd probably take it, but I don't think I can even get that, and selling any lower than that would leave me with a lot of regret if he eventually did rebound and have a solid season. 

So I'm stuck. 

1 minute ago, pduce242424 said:

Theoretically...

Of course. But do those numbers really seem out of line?  Mid 20s HR, 7 SB, 180 R+RBI in the 3 spot of the Cubs lineup and .273 avg?  That's reasonable production expectation.  Sometimes when players go from potential 1st round to settling into more 3rd round value we think in our mind they are total fails, when they are still super useful. If someone wants to give 1st or second round value, I'd move him. Otherwise I think he's a hold. 

I'm no expert or anything, (didn't even sleep in a Holiday Inn Express), but my eyes see him having a line drive approach to the opposite field instead of the power stroke I thought I remembered him having earlier in his short career, not seeing him reaching the hr projections with that approach either... Can anyone shed some light? Has he always had that approach? I mean, I'll be happy with his numbers as a ci, but without the power, not so much as a starting 3b....anyway... 

We aren’t talking about a bad start anymore. We are talking about a shell of a former MVP over two years. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stickfig13 said:

We aren’t talking about a bad start anymore. We are talking about a shell of a former MVP over two years. 

It’s been three weeks.  Obviously the guy has had a torrid start,  but these over reactions are hallarious.   My advice is to trade him for pennies on the dollar and move on or wait til warmer weather.  

2 minutes ago, Baseball Or Bust said:

It’s been three weeks.  Obviously the guy has had a torrid start,  but these over reactions are hallarious.   My advice is to trade him for pennies on the dollar and move on or wait til warmer weather.  

So it's an overreaction to say I'm stuck with him, partly because I won't sell for pennies on the dollar, but it's good advice to say trade him for pennies on the dollar?

Riddle me that. 

26 minutes ago, Baseball Or Bust said:

It has been way longer than three weeks. He’s been mediocre for two years. 

20 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

So it's an overreaction to say I'm stuck with him, partly because I won't sell for pennies on the dollar, but it's good advice to say trade him for pennies on the dollar?

Riddle me that. 

Maybe I’m complaining about your complaining and am trying to remedy the situation for your sake.  I quoted you saying he’s a shell of his former self and I think that’s a bit of a overreaction three weeks into it.  

Just now, Baseball Or Bust said:

Maybe I’m complaining about your complaining and am trying to remedy the situation for your sake.  I quoted you saying he’s a shell of his former self and I think that’s a bit of a overreaction three weeks into it.  

It wasn't even me you quoted but I don't think it's an overreaction to say he's a shell of his former self when his former self was a ROY and MVP who had 30+ HR power and a .900+ OPS and his current self has 4 HR and a ~.700 OPS in his last 50 games played. 

8 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

It wasn't even me you quoted but I don't think it's an overreaction to say he's a shell of his former self when his former self was a ROY and MVP who had 30+ HR power and a .900+ OPS and his current self has 4 HR and a ~.700 OPS in his last 50 games played. 

Very fair points.  

14 minutes ago, Baseball Or Bust said:

Very fair points.  

It’s impossible to argue with his mediocrity. I bought the injury as the cause and I’m thinking the weather could be a factor, but it’s not looking up. Yet.