jfazz23

New York Yankees 2019 Outlook

12 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Well, you sensitive fellas certainly took it as a comment of some sort, so I guess a picture is worth at least several words.

Just expected more from a team with both the resources and the current position in the standings, particularly when so many other teams in the AL are clearing the field.  Not sure why that had to turn into a Yankees vs. Phillies thing.  I'd kill to have the "problems" the Yankees have.  Happ or CC would be a #2 starter for the fightin' Phils.

I hear you.  I think it was an unfortunate combination of: 1) the main trade candidates were priced too high (Boyd); 2) they were on teams that suddenly styled themselves contenders (Bum, Mets SP); and 3) they just weren’t interested in NY (Greinke).

It’s intensely frustrating, but apart from Greinke, I’m not sure there is a guy that got traded that I really wish the Yanks acquired.  Bauer has not only been wildly inconsistent this year, he’s also a headcase.  Maybe Stroman?  But I think everyone is still scratching their heads over that trade - including Marcus.

2 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I hear you.  I think it was an unfortunate combination of: 1) the main trade candidates were priced too high (Boyd); 2) they were on teams that suddenly styled themselves contenders (Bum, Mets SP); and 3) they just weren’t interested in NY (Greinke).

It’s intensely frustrating, but apart from Greinke, I’m not sure there is a guy that got traded that I really wish the Yanks acquired.  Bauer has not only been wildly inconsistent this year, he’s also a headcase.  Maybe Stroman?  But I think everyone is still scratching their heads over that trade - including Marcus.

Yankees may win the division but will go further with those arms.

6 minutes ago, MrWannaBee said:

Ok.  I’m just attempting to explain why they didn’t acquire them.

12 minutes ago, MrWannaBee said:

I left out the not. Will not go further.

• Thanks 1

Here’s a way to improve your pitching staff: spend some of that cash that you have on starting pitchers. Corbin was too expensive? Give me a break. He would be the Yankees best starting pitcher right now and it wouldn’t even be close. Yet the Yankees don’t have any issues bringing back a 36 and a 39 year old pitcher, praying they still have some magic left. Who cares how good your bullpen is if your starting pitchers struggle to make it through 5 innings? 

So what excuse will Cashman have next year to not go after Cole? Because he’s going to be expensive. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sine_cera said:

Here’s a way to improve your pitching staff: spend some of that cash that you have on starting pitchers. Corbin was too expensive? Give me a break. He would be the Yankees best starting pitcher right now and it wouldn’t even be close. Yet the Yankees don’t have any issues bringing back a 36 and a 39 year old pitcher, praying they still have some magic left. Who cares how good your bullpen is if your starting pitchers struggle to make it through 5 innings? 

So what excuse will Cashman have next year to not go after Cole? Because he’s going to be expensive. 

the Corbin non-signing was indefensible. There were several notable posters on here who were fine with it and even suggested the Happ signing was just as good or better. 

18 minutes ago, absknicks said:

the Corbin non-signing was indefensible. There were several notable posters on here who were fine with it and even suggested the Happ signing was just as good or better. 

Hindsight. I have to admit you were right the Yankees should have signed Patrick Corbin, I didn’t think Happ would be this bad. His last three years prior to 2019 were actually pretty good. I figured a rotation of Severino, Tanaka, Paxton & Happ could get the job done.

Nobody could match up with Astros Verlander & Cole then add Grienke . 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Sine_cera said:

Too expensive, that simple.  Oh he’ll “go after” him, but he probably won’t get him.  I really hope I’m wrong.

Edited by BMcP

Posted (edited)

As a fan of arguably (ha, not arguably absolutely) the most disgraceful major pro team in sports.  I’m actually really enjoying this Yankee team more than most teams I’ve watched over the years.  When anyone has got hurt some castoff has risen up and seemingly played at elite level long enough to point where said elite player wasn’t even missed.  Seeing a manager like Boone rip that ump and give the “my guys are savages in that box” quote was awesome.  In Seattle I get to listen to Scott Servais circle jerk “effort” in 12 run blowout losses.  Total world class loser manager.  Yankees get a rap for “buying” teams but no matter what happens this year this team wasn’t bought.  This is an amazing effort all around.  

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

As a fan of arguably (ha, not arguably absolutely) the most disgraceful major pro team in sports.  I’m actually really enjoying this Yankee team more than most teams I’ve watched over the years.  When anyone has got hurt some castoff has risen up and seemingly played at elite level long enough to point where said elite player wasn’t even missed.  Seeing a manager like Boone rip that ump and give the “my guys are savages in that box” quote was awesome.  In Seattle I get to listen to Scott Servais circle jerk “effort” in 12 run blowout losses.  Total world class loser manager.  Yankees get a rap for “buying” teams but no matter what happens this year this team wasn’t bought.  This is an amazing effort all around.  

This was a really thoughtful post.  Thanks @Cmilne23!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, to_be_quite_frank said:

This team is different man

Think how many people on those three NL teams cited would have hit 15 or more homers if they added in playing at Camden Yards as much as the Yankees do.

40 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Think how many people on those three NL teams cited would have hit 15 or more homers if they added in playing at Camden Yards as much as the Yankees do.

FYI

Boston Red Sox have only 18 ...  lol 

• Haha 1

Look at the line-up playing for the last week. I would say Judge, Didi,  LeMahieu should be regulars. The other 6 not so much. And Judge is really not hitting very well. There's some magic going on here (similar to last year's Boston team).

On 8/8/2019 at 2:51 AM, Cmilne23 said:

cashman GM of the year

Voit, Urshella, Tauchman.  didnt pull the trigger on corbin (smart)  got a guy like maybin whos having a career year.  had faith in German.  i guess you can knock him for not going harder for Verlander/Cole but you can knock pretty much every team except Houston.

At the behest of our moderators: Aaron Judge has not always had exemplary plate discipline.  For reasons I’ve already elaborated.

• Thanks 1

On 8/8/2019 at 6:14 PM, exm said:

Look at the line-up playing for the last week. I would say Judge, Didi,  LeMahieu should be regulars. The other 6 not so much. And Judge is really not hitting very well. There's some magic going on here (similar to last year's Boston team).

This its looking likely that they will be in the ship, but my Indians are also surging. This season has been great! 

On 8/9/2019 at 9:00 AM, jfazz23 said:

didnt pull the trigger on corbin (smart) 

Yeah real smart as Happ, Paxton and Sabathia have been stellar signings\trades lol.  You can praise Cashman all you want for the offensive moves he has made, but his pitching decisions over the years have been nothing short of abysmal imo.  How did Gray work out?  How about Vazquez not once but twice?  How about Carl "Buttock's Injury" Pavano?  And the list goes on.   Cashman would not know a good starting pitcher if Cy Young himself came back to life and fell on him imo.  All the offense looks great now as we beat up on the Os and others.  If they fail to win the pennant because they run into a buzz saw in Houston made up of Verlander\Cole\Greinke\Miley and their starters implode in said series costing them the pennant, it will end up being a lost season regardless.  The old cliche that pitching and defense wins pennant is still true last I saw.  Hopefully it does not come back and bite us in October because our GM and what passes for pitching development in the Yankee system have not developed a top of the line starter out of their system since Andy Pettitte in 1995.

39 minutes ago, BMcP said:

At the behest of our moderators: Aaron Judge has not always had exemplary plate discipline.  For reasons I’ve already elaborated.

I said he has always had really good plate discipline, which he has. You then cited his 95 PA in MLB in 2016 (and omitted the 410 PA in AAA) and his K% in 2017 as evidence to the contrary. 

1) Having a high K% doesn't mean you have poor plate discipline. In fact, a lot of guys with great plate discipline strike out a lot because they go deep into counts and see a lot of pitches. There's guys like Willians Astudillo who almost never strike out yet have terrible plate discipline. When you're trying to determine if a player has good plate discipline, look first to BB% and O-Swing%, not K%. 

2) in 2017, you referenced Judge's 30.7% K rate as evidence he didn't have great plate discipline. He had an 18.7% BB rate and .422 OBP that season. He deserved the MVP. Can't you see how silly that argument is once you take a step back and cool down?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, absknicks said:

I said he has always had really good plate discipline, which he has. You then cited his 95 PA in MLB in 2016 (and omitted the 410 PA in AAA) and his K% in 2017 as evidence to the contrary. 

1) Having a high K% doesn't mean you have poor plate discipline. In fact, a lot of guys with great plate discipline strike out a lot because they go deep into counts and see a lot of pitches. There's guys like Willians Astudillo who almost never strike out yet have terrible plate discipline. When you're trying to determine if a player has good plate discipline, look first to BB% and O-Swing%, not K%. 

2) in 2017, you referenced Judge's 30.7% K rate as evidence he didn't have great plate discipline. He had an 18.7% BB rate and .422 OBP that season. He deserved the MVP. Can't you see how silly that argument is once you take a step back and cool down?

1.  Why would I include his minor-league stats when speaking of his MLB career?

2. He struck out around half his ABs in 2016.  Are you construing that as “good” PD?

3. So he walked on average about half the time he struck out in 2017?  A skill he he’s not come close to repeating in 2019? Yes, I feel comfortable stating he has struggled with his plate discipline over the course of his career.

Just now, BMcP said:

1.  Why would I include his minor-league stats when speaking of his MLB career?

2. He struck out around half his ABs in 2016.  Are you construing that as “good” PD?

3. So he walked on average about half the time he struck out in 2017?  A skill he he’s not come close to repeating in 2019? Yes, I feel comfortable stating he has struggled with his plate discipline over the course of his career.

1) We were talking about his plate discipline as a skill throughout his career, not just MLB. 

2.)  Again- he had 495 PA in 2016, and the 410 in AAA were far more representative of his career skillset than the 95 you keep harping on that came in MLB.

3.) Any GM in baseball would take a guy who strikes out 30.7% of the time and walks 18.7%. An 18.7% walk rate is insane. Judge also posted an elite walk rate last year (15.7) and is posting another elite walk rate this year (16+%). His plate discipline has always been very good, and anyone with a basic understanding of advanced metrics and baseball could tell you as much.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, absknicks said:

1) We were talking about his plate discipline as a skill throughout his career, not just MLB. 

2.)  Again- he had 495 PA in 2016, and the 410 in AAA were far more representative of his career skillset than the 95 you keep harping on that came in MLB.

3.) Any GM in baseball would take a guy who strikes out 30.7% of the time and walks 18.7%. An 18.7% walk rate is insane. Judge also posted an elite walk rate last year (15.7) and is posting another elite walk rate this year (16+%). His plate discipline has always been very good, and anyone with a basic understanding of advanced metrics and baseball could tell you as much.

1.  “We” were not - if you were, understood, but I was merely looking at MLB performance.

2. Keep referring to the minors, that’s fine.  I assumed you were referring to his MLB career when talking about his plate discipline.

3. No one - including myself - claimed Cashman was silly to invest in him.  You accused me of not understanding advanced metrics - I proved that you were the one who didn’t understand  (with respect to strikeout rate, in this instance).

Edited by BMcP

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

1.  “We” were not - if you were, understood, but I was merely looking at MLB performance.

2. Keep referring to the minors, that’s fine.  I assumed you were referring to his MLB career when talking about his plate discipline.

3. No one - including myself - claimed Cashman was silly to invest in him.  You accused me of not understanding advanced metrics - I proved that you were the one who didn’t understanding  (with respect to strikeout rate, in this instance).

You're still stuck on the very incorrect notion that having a high K% means you have poor plate discipline. That indicates you lack a basic understanding of the metrics and what constitutes good and bad plate discipline. 

• Like 1