Slatykamora

Victor Robles 2019 Outlook

39 minutes ago, MichiganxTrumbull said:

Are we moving on from him in 10 team re-drafts?

really thought we would get at minimum 260 with speed

yeah. especially in a 10 team re-draft. there has to be players like Pence, Avisail Garcia, Schwarber, Alvarez, ect. even in a 12 team league. 

In points leagues I can see the case for moving on.  In 3 OF roto where your SBs are already top third, maybe.  Otherwise, I still think he's a bench and hold.  In the kind of leagues where dropping Robles would even be a consideration, I don't think Pence or Yordan is unowned, and I would take him over every one of the other names on that list.

• Like 1

He looked really good last night at the dish. 

His first AB was a line out to CF that could have been a hit. Dyson is just so fast and got a good jump.

2nd AB was a 2-strike sac fly to fairly deep LF

3rd AB he broke his bat on a groundout

4th AB he he had a 2-strike hit past the 3B to score Taylor.

Posted (edited)

the panic in here is classic. would advice not to drop no matter what (outside picking someone up with buxton like impact ROS or a top prospect that's still unowned in the shallowest leagues.)

robles - 9 sb 9 hrs 38 runs 28 rbis 234 avg

players 1- 6 sb 9hrs 28runs 30 rbis 294 avg

that's pham hitting in the middle of tb lineup with a couple more abs

Edited by colepenhagen

2 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

the panic in here is classic. would advice not to drop no matter what (outside picking someone up with buxton like impact ROS or a top prospect that's still unowned in the shallowest leagues.)

robles - 9 sb 9 hrs 38 runs 28 rbis 234 avg

players 1- 6 sb 9hrs 28runs 30 rbis 294 avg

that's pham hitting in the middle of tb lineup with a couple more abs

Whats dumb as hell (considering I own both) is that Pham’s OBP is like .400 and his counting stats are meh. That lineup is just underwhelming. It sucks that Robles hits so low but I guess it means he’s in front of trea and eaton. 

But robles hasn’t done anything in HR/SB in a while. He’s gone cold on both fronts 

I’d say the panic is justified.  I mean, he’s in danger of going below a .700 OPS.  Remember when his slugging percentage was .475 and we were all impressed?  It’s now .407.

This could all change going forward, of course. But I don’t have a crystal ball.  

And I’m only talking about this particular year.  Obviously, you shouldn’t be dropping him in a keeper league.

player 2- 11 hrs, 6 sb, 31 rbis 264 avg

not that much different than robles. and this guy was top 2 pick

Just now, colepenhagen said:

player 2- 11 hrs, 6 sb, 31 rbis 264 avg

not that much different than robles. and this guy was top 2 pick

Did you forget like half your comment? Lol

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/10/2019 at 11:00 AM, street sharks said:

because bunts get lumped in with the rest of his actual hits

His FB/LD Exit velo is 89.9. Which is tied for 289th out of 355 players. 

This blaming the bunts for his lack of numbers narrative has got to stop. Still love the kids future outlook. Yet, He's been bad in quality of contact, rate of contact and PD. Tri-fecta of bad hitting. He will figure it out, but will it happen this year?

He's been 2018 Scott Kingrey since April.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 1:56 PM, street sharks said:

8 homers and 9 sb isn't exactly easy to find on the wire

22 days later and he's added 1 HR and 0 SB. 15/67 walk to strikeout rate is underwhelming for the plate discipline he had in the minors. Time to cut in 12 team redraft for me.

• Like 1

Hit a HR today.

Nats’ color commentator said he spoke to the hitting coach, Kevin Long, yesterday.

He said Victor had been seeing 85% of pitches on the outer half since April so this week they started moving Victor closer to the plate slightly. It’s the same adjustment Daniel Murphy made years ago.

So far so good with a HR today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

First good news in 2 months?  Although it hardly seems worth bumping the thread for.  Are you related to Victor Robles, by any chance?

22 minutes ago, 20Duval904 said:

Hit a HR today.

Nats’ color commentator said he spoke to the hitting coach, Kevin Long, yesterday.

He said Victor had been seeing 85% of pitches on the outer half since April so this week they started moving Victor closer to the plate slightly. It’s the same adjustment Daniel Murphy made years ago.

So far so good with a HR today.

Here’s the article about Murphy’s adjustment with Kevin Long with standing closer to the plate.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mlb.com/154732828-daniel-murphy-enjoying-new-hitting-approach.amp.html

12 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

First good news in 2 months?  Although it hardly seems worth bumping the thread for.  Are you related to Victor Robles, by any chance?

I’d say you couldn’t be more wrong. Any kind of tweak, followed by positive results, is worth mentioning. I appreciated it. Feel free to go away if you’re not interested 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Man, I’ll take any scrap I can get.  I’ve actually held.  Now to steal more than one base in a month.

24 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I’d say you couldn’t be more wrong. Any kind of tweak, followed by positive results, is worth mentioning. I appreciated it. Feel free to go away if you’re not interested 🤷🏽‍♂️

It takes a big man to admit when he’s wrong, so I’m gonna go ahead and offer my apologies for that post.  It was ill-advised and made in bad faith.  I want to be able to frequent this thread from time to time and contribute to the Victor Robles discussion.  Above all else, I just want to be able to point and laugh at him from a distance.  I’m just kidding.  He’s on my waiver wire, and supposing he gets hot and actually starts stealing bases, I might pounce on him again.  As it is now, he was a wasted draft pick, albeit not a high one.

• Like 2

Seems like such an obvious thing to stand closer to the plate. Why was he standing so far off the plate to begin with? (I don't actually know how far he was standing but it sounds significant)

He needs to get more aggressive and stay that way, at the plate and on the basepaths. Play with a chip on his shoulder. He's way better than what he's been showing.

2 hours ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Ironically, Javy Baez (if Yellich didn't exist) would be all the rage for MVP... he wen't two months w/out a bump... (doesn't hang w/ my man Otis Nixon or Ron Washington apparently) 

Half empty, half full?

Robles will be fine, he's a kid w/ proven pedigree, a solid body of work collectively given his age, and minimal to no ego. Guys like him battle through and figure it out! 

See Baez, Javy! (Kingery was signed for millions before playing in the Biggs, had a larger sample of suckage, and is all the rage currently... patience w/ the babies pays off!)

He should get as close to the plate as possible, like Rizzo does. Just hover over the friggin thing. He'll be able to pull more pitches, get on base more, more infield/bloop singles, whatever.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

It takes a big man to admit when he’s wrong, so I’m gonna go ahead and offer my apologies for that post.  It was ill-advised and made in bad faith.  I want to be able to frequent this thread from time to time and contribute to the Victor Robles discussion.  Above all else, I just want to be able to point and laugh at him from a distance.  I’m just kidding.  He’s on my waiver wire, and supposing he gets hot and actually starts stealing bases, I might pounce on him again.  As it is now, he was a wasted draft pick, albeit not a high one.

Kudos for manning up, (I'm now BFF w/ LarryDavid after a rocky start) and if Robles is available, grab him regardless of league dynamic. 

Even if he sits on your bench in a shallow league, if he catches fire (see Albies, Ozzie) he can erase his slow start in a week when prorated. Ideally, and I'm sure longingly by the manager and WAS brass... he slots into the 2 hole between Turner and Rendon on a team that loves to run! He is IMHO, the lotto ticket w/ the guaranteed power number correct. Grab that s--- out of the trash and waive it proud when the year ends.

Maybe it's just this surge of incredible youth, but man have we all (guilty) become impatient w/ the development of blue chip prospects... let alone one's w/ proven success albeit SSS. This kid is going to ball out soon enough, if you don't have him active that's fine... but if you can stash him till then, in a world of no SB's... he could and should be the golden ticket soon enough. 

Edited by LarryChip10
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bobby Blue said:

Seems like such an obvious thing to stand closer to the plate. Why was he standing so far off the plate to begin with? (I don't actually know how far he was standing but it sounds significant)

He needs to get more aggressive and stay that way, at the plate and on the basepaths. Play with a chip on his shoulder. He's way better than what he's been showing.

He already gets HBP a ton (10 on the season). So maybe why he backs off? Not sure...weird for sure.