Slatykamora

Victor Robles 2019 Outlook

He’s back in the 8 hole killing his SB potential. They just sacrifice with the SP behind him or if there’s 2 outs, they don’t want him running.

Its maddening 

Made an adjustment recently to move closer to the plate - it’s paying dividends!

15 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

He already gets HBP a ton (10 on the season). So maybe why he backs off? Not sure...weird for sure.

It’s been a 14 hour day, but I just read that totally wrong and giggled for a bit... 

I’m a sick puppy!!! 😁

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Hey, but he homered again - 3 run shot.  

True, but to be fair, It was off pivetta. 

Edited by Cesare13
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

He was already known for being closer to the plate to maximize plate coverage and get on base thru beanings. It's a weird adjustment because it's basically who he was suppose to be in the first place.

As alluded too, he may been backing off recently for whatever reason. Which obviously would lead to struggles because that not the kinda of hitter he is.

Edited by Slatykamora

6 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Believe it was off Alvarez. But it was a hanging breaking ball. 

2 minutes ago, High&Inside said:

Oh..my mistake. So it WAS off a major league pitcher.  My apologies.

16 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

He already gets HBP a ton (10 on the season). So maybe why he backs off? Not sure...weird for sure.

He has 105 career HBP's in his young pro career, over 5% of his PAs. He gets hits more some other hitters walk. Major league caliber fastballs being thrown with more aggressive command of the inside may have more intimating, I guess? After getting 100 times, you'd think you'd no longer be afraid of getting hit.

21 minutes ago, High&Inside said:

They were pumping him curveballs because Pivetta struck him out on one before. Then Ramos got strike 1 on a curve.

Then he hung one and Victor mashed it. No doubter off the bat.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Hope you held onto him as stated... he’ll be fine, talent + opportunity usually prevails! 

Get hot kid! 

Edited by LarryChip10
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

He has 105 career HBP's in his young pro career, over 5% of his PAs. He gets hit more some other hitters walk.

And then two more HBP tonight?  Quite the recipe for success with this guy.  

33 minutes ago, 20Duval904 said:

1/2 and an RBI triple with 2 HBP

Also made a great catch to close the game out.

6 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

And then two more HBP tonight?  Quite the recipe for success with this guy.  

Yuppp. Now he's starting to look like the guy we were expecting in the off-season. He's maximizing his plate coverage so he can be aggressive. He's never had high walk rates and never will because the HBP buffs his OBP.  It's shades of early career Startling Marte. Except has a more ideal launch angle than Marte ever did.

9 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

Yuppp. Now he's starting to look like the guy we were expecting in the off-season. He's maximizing his plate coverage so he can be aggressive. He's never had high walk rates and never will because the HBP buffs his OBP.  It's shades of early career Startling Marte. Except has a more ideal launch angle than Marte ever did.

now if he could only use his +++ speed to steal some bags ... run Victor run!

• Like 1

Just left the game in the top of the 2nd. Went down to a knee in CF while not involved in any plays

He walked off rubbing his eye and looked sick, if I had to guess. Like he was dazed and light headed, or something.

Hope he’s ok.

Posted (edited)

That was the weirdest thing.  He didn’t even move - but he was crying

Edited by BMcP

9 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Hope that’s true. It would make sense too. Definitely looked like he was light headed and weak. 

Interesting note and why there’s so much optimism...

Since May 1, his K rate is 20.1% and walk rate is at 6.5% (both better than his season long numbers when you include April).

And his BABIP has only been .257 over that span.

He’s starting again tonight and hitting 8th, killing any SB potential. (Thanks Davey).

Ultimately as the long term 2 hole hitter and new adjustments (closer to the plate) plus more experience, he looks like a 5 category producer in a big way.

On 6/20/2019 at 5:39 PM, 20Duval904 said:

He’s back in the 8 hole killing his SB potential. They just sacrifice with the SP behind him or if there’s 2 outs, they don’t want him running.

Its maddening 

Happened again today. This is the worst.

1 hour ago, street sharks said:

Happened again today. This is the worst.

Next year when he’s batting 2nd every day he’ll get 35 steals and all will be right in the world 

I just read something on Yahoo about his exit velo being very low. Right around the Billy Hamilton range... is that reason to be concerned? I know he has hit some home runs but they made it sound like those are rare hard hit balls

9 minutes ago, Chewy47 said:

I just read something on Yahoo about his exit velo being very low. Right around the Billy Hamilton range... is that reason to be concerned? I know he has hit some home runs but they made it sound like those are rare hard hit balls

On 6/10/2019 at 10:27 AM, daethfromabove1979 said:

What is with his hard hit % of only 22%, that is terrible. I'm going to keep him around for a bit longer because the counting stats are respectable but his slash line leaves a lot to be desired - 235/309/419 is pretty gross.

On 6/10/2019 at 11:00 AM, street sharks said:

because bunts get lumped in with the rest of his actual hits