Slatykamora

Victor Robles 2019 Outlook

7 minutes ago, summersoff7 said:

not sure what this guy's problem is, just not very good right now.  Add to that he doesn't steal any bases.  a near drop for me.

You're not wrong about everything but the latter.  Wish I played in a league where people were that impatient with extremely talented players.

12 minutes ago, summersoff7 said:

not sure what this guy's problem is, just not very good right now.  Add to that he doesn't steal any bases.  a near drop for me.

He’s 21 and has an .891OPS on the year and he’s just not very good right now?

• Thanks 1

Hopefully it sticks, and isn't just a one time thing because Eaton is resting...

How bout a 3-5 with 2 SB and 2 runs scored today to cement himself as the regular leadoff batter the rest of the year? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, reichl555 said:

How bout a 3-5 with 2 SB and 2 runs scored today to cement himself as the regular leadoff batter the rest of the year? 

Five home runs

17 minutes ago, Call me Red said:

Well...not great. 

Nope. Bright side - no one did particularly well. The 2Ks though are a likely example of why they're not comfortable putting him up there long term.

On 4/8/2019 at 3:59 PM, 89Topps said:

Brian Dozier is not going to be DFAd. 😂

Still feel as strongly about this? 😂😂😂

>.200 on the season and only justifying his roster spot with defense which should take a step back with an injured toe

3 hours ago, Nightmare130 said:

Still feel as strongly about this? 😂😂😂

>.200 on the season and only justifying his roster spot with defense which should take a step back with an injured toe

Yea, I feel pretty comfortable assuming they're not going to DFA a guy in April they're paying $9M.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, 89Topps said:

Yea, I feel pretty comfortable assuming they're not going to DFA a guy in April they're paying $9M.

See troy tulowitski this past off-season where the team ate 30+ mil

3 minutes ago, Nightmare130 said:

Maybe they DFA Dozier at some point, who knows, but regardless it's not happening anytime soon.  They didn't bring him in to give up on him less than a month into the season.

I fully expect him to be there past the All-Star break at least, especially since he is known to be a better 2nd half player (even if it didn't exactly happen last season).  He somehow already looks like a shell of his former self, but it'd be a huge shock if he didn't get a really long leash.

1 hour ago, Nightmare130 said:

Was Tulo one season removed from being a 5 win player?  C'mon.

In any case, this has derailed and really has little to do with Robles, so I'll abandon ship on this tangent at this point.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

With Rendon getting the day off, Robles is up to the 2-hole today.  Hopefully it goes better than when he batted leadoff for Eaton...

Whether Martinez continues to be dumb or not, this is something that should actually have a chance to stick.  Dozier obviously isn't going to sniff the top third of the lineup again anytime soon, and there's no reason to bat Rendon 2nd when it just exposes how bad the rest of the lineup is after Soto (aside from a decent catching duo).  I'd be shocked if it did stick, but again, there's no good reason for it not to.

Edited by KilloWertz
  • Like 1

We can keep blaming the manager for keeping the kid buried in the lineup (which I agree with to a point)... But that K% is at 31% and he needs to get that under control to gain entry to the top of the lineup without injury to someone else.

10 minutes ago, High&Inside said:

We can keep blaming the manager for keeping the kid buried in the lineup (which I agree with to a point)... But that K% is at 31% and he needs to get that under control to gain entry to the top of the lineup without injury to someone else.

No doubt the K rate is bad, as he is basically striking out anytime he doesn't get a hit right now.  Still, their lineup is laughable outside of Catcher after Soto, so he's still a better option above them than having nobody to drive in Soto (and obviously Rendon at times).  Nothing against Kendrick either, but he's not a middle of the order guy either.

13 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

No doubt the K rate is bad, as he is basically striking out anytime he doesn't get a hit right now.  Still, their lineup is laughable outside of Catcher after Soto, so he's still a better option above them than having nobody to drive in Soto (and obviously Rendon at times).  Nothing against Kendrick either, but he's not a middle of the order guy either.

He certainly has been this season

Finally, Robles is taking advantage of batting high in the lineup and showing that he deserves to be up there.  A bases clearing 3-run double that would have been a grand slam if he didn't hit it to the deepest part of the park, steals 3rd right after, then gets a hit his next time up and steals 2nd.  So far, 2-3 with 3 RBIs and 2 SBs with 4 innings to go.

• Like 4

His last at bat, bases loaded, 3-1 count. Ball is about to hit him inside on the hands and he turns and it luckily (unluckily) hit the very tip of the bat instead of his hand. to count for a strike.

Would've had a walk RBI - but instead struck out on the next swing.

Great game for Robles - hopefully he can stick in the 2-hole for a week - they know he's not bad, dont know why they are putting Dozier over him there.

Seeing him put up a double, single, 2 sb, 3 rbi and a r has to raise the confidence some right?

6 hours ago, NolanRyan said:

His last at bat, bases loaded, 3-1 count. Ball is about to hit him inside on the hands and he turns and it luckily (unluckily) hit the very tip of the bat instead of his hand. to count for a strike.

Would've had a walk RBI - but instead struck out on the next swing.

Great game for Robles - hopefully he can stick in the 2-hole for a week - they know he's not bad, dont know why they are putting Dozier over him there.

Well, oddly enough, I guess that is a rare time when I'm happier with the strikeout than him getting an RBI...

Dozier actually isn't hitting there anymore.  It was Rendon before he got hurt.  As I've said already in here, it makes the most sense to keep Robles up there and move everybody down a spot to spread out their lineup a bit.

5 hours ago, AHF said:

Seeing him put up a double, single, 2 sb, 3 rbi and a r has to raise the confidence some right?

You would think.  This is MLB though, so you never know.  Hopefully it did though...

13 hours ago, Del Rio said:

Expect him to be back in the 9-hole tomorrow.

back at 2 today

spacer.png

(still no rendon though)

• Like 1