Slatykamora

Victor Robles 2019 Outlook

Another good game in the 2-hole though.

It will be interesting to see what happens once Rendon comes back.  If I was betting, I'd say Robles drops back down to 9th unfortunately, but crazier things have happened.  He clearly deserves a shot to stick in the 2-hole though.  We'll see...

How many wins have they had while he batted 2nd? I think that’s what will be looked at. I think the kid has the tools to hit anywhere in any lineup. Vic and Juan are going to terrorize that division for many years!

27 minutes ago, Krambone said:

How many wins have they had while he batted 2nd? I think that’s what will be looked at. I think the kid has the tools to hit anywhere in any lineup. Vic and Juan are going to terrorize that division for many years!

Doesn't matter. Martinez is playing 4D chess out here.

Martinez should slot Robles in the 2 hole and put scrub Dozier 9th

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, jb_power said:

Martinez should slot Robles in the 2 hole and put scrub Dozier 9th

It really is a no brainer 

• Like 1

the 31.1 K% is concerning, and so is .396 BABIP with only 21.1 hard hit%.

4 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

the 31.1 K% is concerning, and so is .396 BABIP with only 21.1 hard hit%.

His exit velocity is also one of the worst in the majors.  He actually ranks well below average in pretty much every advanced hitting metric.  His sprint speed is off the charts though and might account for the high babip, along with the fact that he doesn’t hit into a shift.   A lot of his prospect luster is based on elite defense.  However,it’s very possible to be a fantasy star without even average metrics.  Dee Gordon was a top 50 pick for years with similar batted ball stats.  Robles is faster than Gordon, definately hits for more power and will play ina. Better park and lineup than Gordon has so it’s not all doom and gloom.

3 hours ago, Del Rio said:

Still batting 2nd tonight even with Rendon back in the lineup

th-5.jpeg

• Haha 1

As we all already knew, Robles is kinda fast.  Stole 2nd and 3rd in the first inning, and then made it all the way to 3rd after hitting a ball to the SS and him botching the play.  Robles is 0-2, but hard to complain too much when he's now up to 7 SBs on the season...

• Like 1

spacer.png

anyone know if bunts are factored into batted balls? might explain why everything is blue as he's been bunting a lot

15 minutes ago, street sharks said:

spacer.png

anyone know if bunts are factored into batted balls? might explain why everything is blue as he's been bunting a lot

I'm fairly certain they are. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, High&Inside said:

I'm fairly certain they are. 

Ya they are. He's got at least 5 bunts recorded at 40 mph exit velocity. He also has 4 balls hit over 108 mph so he has a decent top level output. I don't think the exit velo is as much a concern as the K rate. Just has to put some more balls in play and he'll be around .800 OPS probably. 

• Like 2

Well, the good and the bad....  Bad that he was sitting today so I didn't play him.  Good that he came in after Taylor got hurt and hit his 6th HR of the season after going 0-8 in his last 2 games.

The K's are still out of hand overall, dragging his average down, but it's hard to complain otherwise with 6 HR's and 7 SBs...

Forgive me if this isn't the best place to ask this question, but are most people sticking with him or thinking about selling? I only ask since Turner comes back this month and then Robles gets sent back to the 9th spot with Eaton batting leadoff. I don't like it, but it seems to be what WSH wants to do and only way it changes is if Eaton gets hurt, which is very possible. Just thinking his outlook could take a big hit if that all happens and we're just waiting for Eaton to get hurt. Or is that an overreaction?

Posted (edited)

Is there a reason he can't hit 5th or 6th?  He seems to have some decent pop to drive in runs.  It's not like he's Billy Hamilton or something.

Edited by Bill Blazejowski

Not looking very good. Extremely low BB% and a high K%. He should steal enough to remain fantasy relevant, but he currently posseses a league-average bat. 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 7:32 AM, LosPadres said:

Forgive me if this isn't the best place to ask this question, but are most people sticking with him or thinking about selling? I only ask since Turner comes back this month and then Robles gets sent back to the 9th spot with Eaton batting leadoff. I don't like it, but it seems to be what WSH wants to do and only way it changes is if Eaton gets hurt, which is very possible. Just thinking his outlook could take a big hit if that all happens and we're just waiting for Eaton to get hurt. Or is that an overreaction?

A bit of an overreaction. Anyone selling him now would not get fair market value, imo. Keep in mind that so far he hasn't been as good in the 2-hole as compared to the 9-hole. Small sample but there's a marked difference:

17 GS batting 2nd: 1 HR,   7 R, 1 2B, 5 RBI, 5 SB, .185/.250/.246/.496 (.224 babip)

17 GS batting 9th:  3 HR, 14 R, 5 2B, 7 RBI, 3 SB, .283/.338/.550/.888 (.400 babip)

• Like 1

Shades of Buxton.  One day I look up and this guy has a 95 weighted runs created figure, which is crap.  The steals are nice, but he’s killing me, all the same.  But it’s early.  I’ll hang in there for a while.

6 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Shades of Buxton.  One day I look up and this guy has a 95 weighted runs created figure, which is crap.  The steals are nice, but he’s killing me, all the same.  But it’s early.  I’ll hang in there for a while.

He is a future star.  Just have to stay patient. 

1 hour ago, reichl555 said:

He is a future star.  Just have to stay patient. 

Yeah, and he's not in danger of struggling to stay above the mendoza line for several years like Buxton had been up until this season.  The plate discipline going in the toilet this season is surprising considering he wasn't striking out like this in his late stint in the majors last season, but I'm not really looking to sell.  Especially not in a keeper league unless I was getting a Top 50 player...

Weighted runs created now up to 104 after homering in two straight games.  BB% still disturbingly low at 4.2%, but slugging now up to .475, which is awesome for a potential 30 SB player.  “Shades of Buxton” was based on combination of low wRC & OBP (to go along with the fact that he can hold his own in a race vs a cheetah).  I’m glad that Robles seems to have a batting average floor in the .260 range.  

Is he not a good defensive player?  Negative 3.8 rating on fangraphs, holding back his overall WAR at 0.4.

57 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Is he not a good defensive player?  Negative 3.8 rating on fangraphs, holding back his overall WAR at 0.4.

I wouldn't say he's bad. More his youth shows at time where makes bad plays on the ball or seemingly isn't in the game mentally. This is most clearly seen on the bases, mannnnn has he had a lot of bad plays on the base paths.

• Thanks 1