Slatykamora

Victor Robles 2019 Outlook

25 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Trea bae is back soon. Probably means Robles is going back to the 9th spot

It's possible, which would be ridiculous since Eaton has done basically nothing this season in the leadoff spot.  He always gets hurt, but is usually a beast for the short time he's playing (at least the last two seasons).  This year his counting stats aren't very good and he's not even walking as much as he used to, which would be the only real reason to consider keeping him up there (his usual good OBP).

The smartest scenario in my opinion, even if Robles' OBP isn't very good either, is to put Turner in the leadoff spot and leave Robles in the 2-hole.  Then just put Eaton 9th.

Maybe, just maybe the Nationals are aware that Robles has a .475 slugging percentage & the 6 slot will be in play.  Why does he have to be in a table-setter type slot when his walk rate is bottom 10% in the bigs?

Leads the team in HRs. Anything lower than 5th would be dumb. So I fully expect him to bat 8th.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You’re right, 5th is good, especially with Soto being a lefty.  They had Howie Kendrick in that slot today.  It looks like Howie is on something with that .560 slugging percentage.

• Like 1

There was a lot of angst about Robles' spot in the order to start the season. Then stuff happened and he was batting in the 2 spot and producing. 

Stuff can happen again or maybe it won't - if he produces he'll be productive (a la Yogi). That was my attitude when I drafted him, remains my attitude now.

• Like 1

I don't care where he bats if he is productive. the nationals hitting stinks bad at times.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mlb2019 said:

I don't care where he bats if he is productive. the nationals hitting stinks bad at times.

True, but 9th is awful because he'll get no counting stats.  Even if he hits good, too many of those hits would end up being empty ones.  2nd or somewhere in the middle is obviously ideal because of the counting stats.  Being a good table setter isn't as important as it used to be if you have speed and pop.

We'll likely see where he ends up tomorrow, with returning to the 9th spot probably not being as much of a lock as it was before the injuries vaulted him up the lineup.  Obviously I'm not trading him in my keeper league regardless of where he ends up in the lineup.  It's just better of course if he has even a decent spot in the lineup rather than back to 9th.

Still batting 2nd tonight with Turner back, but we have to wait until tomorrow to know if this is going to be permanent since Eaton isn't in the lineup tonight.

38 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Still batting 2nd tonight with Turner back, but we have to wait until tomorrow to know if this is going to be permanent since Eaton isn't in the lineup tonight.

1)Based on absolutely no proof, I’d think Robles makes a better 6 than Eaton and Eaton makes a better 1 than Robles.  

2) Eaton has pretty much been entrenched as a lead off man whenever he plays.

3) wasn’t there some weird time where Turner was  6? (Different manager)

not that any of this matters and there’s not a thing we can do about it. But yeah, 6 or 9 would suck.

33 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

1)Based on absolutely no proof, I’d think Robles makes a better 6 than Eaton and Eaton makes a better 1 than Robles.  

2) Eaton has pretty much been entrenched as a lead off man whenever he plays.

3) wasn’t there some weird time where Turner was  6? (Different manager)

not that any of this matters and there’s not a thing we can do about it. But yeah, 6 or 9 would suck.

I posted this yesterday, but this season Eaton hasn't been anywhere near the table-setter he has been in previous years.  For whatever reason, his walks are down.  Leaving Robles 2nd and putting Eaton 9th I think is the best thing they could do, but we'll see tomorrow what the manager actually decides on.

I don't think 6th would be awful, as he would still have enough RBI opportunities and could still steal whenever he wanted.  It would obviously hurt his runs, but it would still be better than 9th for everything across the board (besides maybe SBs, which play everywhere but 8th).

• Like 1

Hbp in the wrist,  According to Twitter.Removed from game. Uh oh.

1 hour ago, Cesare13 said:

Left FOREARM according to mlb.com.  Saw the video,it very clearly looks like a forearm.  I’m only a pretend doctor,but I’d imagine that’s way better than a wrist.  Check it out.

https://www.mlb.com/news/victor-robles-exits-after-hit-by-pitch

Yeah, it looks like it hit him just above the wrist.  Granted the players aren't doctors, but he said he was fine.  It's possible they just took him out as a precaution, but still, I'd expect them to take him for x-rays.  Hopefully it's nothing, although the initial impression from the video is he escaped anything serious since it didn't look like it hit him in the wrist.

Still, I do have to agree with the one announcer (their color guy I believe) that his initial reaction to it wasn't good, but it didn't look like it was anything serious once he got to first.  Hopefully the results are good because I'm sure nobody can afford to lose him, even if he hasn't stolen a base in a while.

9 minutes ago, Sun Tzu said:

Nats beat writer:

Hmm but this one says he has wrist confusion

5 hours ago, DJSatane said:

"wrist conFusion"?

Yeah it’s when the wrist actually thinks it’s an elbow. Generally not serious, but something to monitor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, DJSatane said:

"wrist conFusion"?

hay wrist, straw wrist, hay wrist, straw wrist

During the Civil War drill sergeants repeatedly found that among the raw recruits there were men so abysmally untaught that they did not know left from right, and hence could not step off on the left foot as all soldiers should. To teach these lads how to march, the sergeants would tie a wisp of hay to the left foot and a wisp of straw to the right; then, setting the men to march, they would chant, “Hay-foot, straw-foot, hay-foot, straw-foot”—and so on, until everybody had caught on. A common name for a green recruit in those days was “strawfoot.”

Dodged a major bullet it appears.

Guessing he sits today and maybe even on Sunday to rest. And he should be good to go Monday or early next week.

So, in other words, he could be back as soon as tomorrow's game.  👍

Robles back in the lineup today... batting 9th. 😡

Yeah, because they have so many great options hitting in front of him for him to be buried in the lineup again... 🙄

Davey Martinez is excited to have an additional table-setter in the 9 hole (something he picked up from Joe Madden) but he is missing the forest here because Vic will rarely ever get more than 4 plate appearances.  Some scrub hitting 6th or 7th will get more action over the long run.  This isn’t exactly rocket science, correct?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1