Slatykamora

Victor Robles 2019 Outlook

2 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Robles back in the lineup today... batting 9th. 😡

Yeah, because they have so many great options hitting in front of him for him to be buried in the lineup again... 🙄

I predict eaton will go down soon 🙃🙃

How do you guys see his stats looking at the end of season? 

I thought he'd be hitting for a higher BA but he's at .242 right now

3 minutes ago, street sharks said:

How do you guys see his stats looking at the end of season? 

I thought he'd be hitting for a higher BA but he's at .242 right now

.250,20,33 with 135 or so combined runs/rbi.  Thats extrmely useful as is,but thats a conservative estimate and could improve with injuries to other players.

• Like 1

He’s a bust and on my bench until he moves up in the order permanently. There’s too many other outfielders putting up better counting stats across the board.

1 minute ago, Fantasy_Goat said:

He’s a bust and on my bench until he moves up in the order permanently. There’s too many other outfielders putting up better counting stats across the board.

8 homers and 9 sb isn't exactly easy to find on the wire

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, street sharks said:

8 homers and 9 sb isn't exactly easy to find on the wire

You’re right, I’m probably more venting than anything but there are at least a half dozen or so that are close to his numbers sitting there. I’m considering starting Mercado over him merely because of where Mercado is batting in the order now.

Edited by Fantasy_Goat

10 minutes ago, Fantasy_Goat said:

He’s a bust and on my bench until he moves up in the order permanently.

"Bust" seems like the wrong word for a guy who was drafted as OF36 but has produced OF21 value according to ESPN's player rater.  Sure, he's cooled off lately -- OF50 over the last 30 days -- but I can't see the case for benching except in shallow 3 OF formats, particularly considering that he seems to have had more success at the bottom of the order than at the top:

image.png.01b2c43f9e74e4bf1bf8c8c0b9991e61.png

image.png.d22b3dc7f8d4d07b84d42b04429efdf9.png

• Like 4

Not even really considering benching on my 5 OF team.  The steal/homer combo is just too valuable.

3 minutes ago, Fantasy_Goat said:

Hard to stomach seeing him batting 8th sandwiched between Brian Dozier and the pitcher. 

It's a joke. Lower in the lineup than Kendrick, Suzuki, Dozier... absolute joke.

35 minutes ago, smeeze said:

It's a joke. Lower in the lineup than Kendrick, Suzuki, Dozier... absolute joke.

He's been hitting 221 the past month, and 242 on the year... Its not a joke, he's just been awful after a good first few weeks.

@tonycpsu hes been firmly on my bench for a couple weeks. The power speed hasn't produced much, just 5 HR and 2 SB while he's absolutely tanked your average or OBP and provided 9 rbi in that time... He's been quite easy to replace. Spot started hom a few times but since May 8th he's hit 173 with a 660 ops and 2 hr, 1 sb... Its a bad bad rut... I don't cut him, just bench and wait for better days as OF are plentiful.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Agreed.  And, that's why I'll be surprised if Martinez makes it through the year.  Dude is clearly, in over his head.  

I knew this was the case, when he brought a camel to Spring Training in 2018, as some sort of pre-school lesson, of getting over the hump.  If I was the GM, I would've fired him on the spot.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

hes been firmly on my bench for a couple weeks.

In a long season, you can always find weeks-long stretches where some unspecified waiver grab / reserve player is outperforming someone you penciled in as a starter.  That's not really newsworthy.

At the same time, I think people overestimate their ability to time slumps / binges.  Some of this depends on whether you play daily or weekly, but even in daily, you're usually going to eat at least 2 or 3 of the bad games before you sit him, and then you're probably going to miss some solid production as he pulls out of the slump.  Rarely are things so obvious that you can sit him to protect yourself from the bad without missing out on the good.  In just a ~2 week sample, it really only takes one multi-homer game or a 3 for 4 with 2 SB to eclipse the production of the caliber of player most people are likely to have as a replacement.

In daily leagues of a certain depth, I can see the case for sliding him to the bench in certain matchups, but that's as much as I'll concede here.

7 minutes ago, Goatstain3 said:

Agreed.  And, that's why I'll be surprised if Martinez makes it through the year.  Dude is clearly, in over his head.  

I knew this was the case, when he brought a camel to Spring Training in 2018, as some sort of pre-school lesson, of getting over the hump.  If I was the GM, I would've fired him on the spot.

All 3 of those guys have been better the past month. Why is it crazy to start your better hitting players higher in the order? Kendrick is hitting 300+ the past week, 2 weeks, month, and season... Suzuki 300 past 2 weeks and 288 past month... Dozier has been 20-30 points higher the past week, 2 weeks, month... Robles is hitting 222 the past week, 211 the past 2 weeks, 222 the past month.

I hate to break it to you guys but you have to adjust your fantasy teams to real life play and not expect managers to cater to your fantasy team.

Robles deserves to be burried 8th and will likely stay there until he works through his issues. Put him on the bench or eat the futility in average, obp, rbi, etc... 

If you are blaming the team or the manager you've got your head in the sand.

10 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

All 3 of those guys have been better the past month. Why is it crazy to start your better hitting players higher in the order? Kendrick is hitting 300+ the past week, 2 weeks, month, and season... Suzuki 300 past 2 weeks and 288 past month... Dozier has been 20-30 points higher the past week, 2 weeks, month... Robles is hitting 222 the past week, 211 the past 2 weeks, 222 the past month.

I hate to break it to you guys but you have to adjust your fantasy teams to real life play and not expect managers to cater to your fantasy team.

Robles deserves to be burried 8th and will likely stay there until he works through his issues. Put him on the bench or eat the futility in average, obp, rbi, etc... 

If you are blaming the team or the manager you've got your head in the sand.

Dozier is a warm pile of vomit.  He's been in decline for last 24 months.  The Nats would be better served, giving that PT to someone that might actually, be part of a future.  Signing him was dumb enough.  Continuing to play him as he plays hot potato with the Mendoza line, is even dumber.

I think the right word to describe Victor's season so far would be "disappointing".  I don't think many would have thought he'd be so K prone so far, especially since he wasn't in his brief stints prior to this season.  At least a decent average with plenty of SBs seemed like nearly a given.

Still, it's way too early in the season to call him a bust.  He actually had a decent 3 game stretch until last game's 0-4, taking walks and actually getting some XBHs.  Also, I've continued to ignore all of the people saying that he won't be very good this season because his statcast stats aren't very good so far.  Between bunting and using his speed to his advantage, not being a statcast darling isn't exactly shocking.

Once again, I can't sugarcoat it too much.  He has definitely been a disappointment to an extent (mainly the low batting average and higher than expected K-rate), especially for people that were expecting bigger things (an early favorite for NL ROY), but the season is still young enough.  I know some people would wonder if he's going to be another Byron Buxton (prior to this season), but Robles has at least been better than he ever was so far, whether that means much or not.

4 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

"Bust" seems like the wrong word for a guy who was drafted as OF36 but has produced OF21 value according to ESPN's player rater.  Sure, he's cooled off lately -- OF50 over the last 30 days -- but I can't see the case for benching except in shallow 3 OF formats, particularly considering that he seems to have had more success at the bottom of the order than at the top:

image.png.01b2c43f9e74e4bf1bf8c8c0b9991e61.png

image.png.d22b3dc7f8d4d07b84d42b04429efdf9.png

25 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

I think the right word to describe Victor's season so far would be "disappointing".  I don't think many would have thought he'd be so K prone so far, especially since he wasn't in his brief stints prior to this season.  At least a decent average with plenty of SBs seemed like nearly a given.

Still, it's way too early in the season to call him a bust.  He actually had a decent 3 game stretch until last game's 0-4, taking walks and actually getting some XBHs.  Also, I've continued to ignore all of the people saying that he won't be very good this season because his statcast stats aren't very good so far.  Between bunting and using his speed to his advantage, not being a statcast darling isn't exactly shocking.

Once again, I can't sugarcoat it too much.  He has definitely been a disappointment to an extent (mainly the low batting average and higher than expected K-rate), especially for people that were expecting bigger things (an early favorite for NL ROY), but the season is still young enough.  I know some people would wonder if he's going to be another Byron Buxton (prior to this season), but Robles has at least been better than he ever was so far, whether that means much or not.

Can you further explain why a guy being drafted as a low-end OF3 (36th OF), yet performing as an OF2, would be considered “disappointing”? 

Would you agree that the only ones who are disappointed likely had unrealistic expectations? 

9 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Can you further explain why a guy being drafted as a low-end OF3 (36th OF), yet performing as an OF2, would be considered “disappointing”? 

Would you agree that the only ones who are disappointed likely had unrealistic expectations? 

The low batting average and higher K-rate, like I said in my post. 😉

To go further into it though, regardless of where he was drafted and where he was ranked, people would have expected a decent enough batting average along with possibly elite SB production.  He's been solid in SBs, but definitely disappointing with the low(ish) batting average and being on pace for 159 Ks.  The SB production should be even better if he was able to get on base at even a decent rate.  I don't think it was unreasonable to have expectations of him putting up a legit ROY caliber season, which he hasn't so far.

I'm not saying he sucks or that he's been awful.  I've stuck with him all year in my keeper league.  Hopefully he'll get better as the season goes along, but he's had too many games of basically doing nothing regardless of where he's ranked right now.  My actual expectations for him this season was a legit ROY caliber season.  He has not done that so far, and I doubt he'd even be in the conversation right now.

6 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

The low batting average and higher K-rate, like I said in my post. 😉

To go further into it though, regardless of where he was drafted and where he was ranked, people would have expected a decent enough batting average along with possibly elite SB production.  He's been solid in SBs, but definitely disappointing with the low(ish) batting average and being on pace for 159 Ks.  The SB production should be even better if he was able to get on base at even a decent rate.  I don't think it was unreasonable to have expectations of him putting up a legit ROY caliber season, which he hasn't so far.

I'm not saying he sucks or that he's been awful.  I've stuck with him all year in my keeper league.  Hopefully he'll get better as the season goes along, but he's had too many games of basically doing nothing regardless of where he's ranked right now.  My actual expectations for him this season was a legit ROY caliber season.  He has not done that so far, and I doubt he'd even be in the conversation right now.

Right. So you wanted this Robles with a higher batting average and even more SBs. So, top 12 OF expectations. Kinda my point 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Right. So you wanted this Robles with a higher batting average and even more SBs. So, top 12 OF expectations. Kinda my point 🤷🏽‍♂️

Nope.  Not what I said.  Higher batting average and more SBs doesn't mean I think he would be a Top 12 OF.  I don't think anybody expected him to have 8 HRs at this point in the season.  Drop that down to about half or so, raise the batting average, and give him a few more SBs and that doesn't mean he's a Top 12 OF.  Even if that somehow translates to Top 15 (depends on the player rater, where SBs can actually inflate the ranking), I don't think it was unreasonable to hope for something around .280 with 35-40 SBs, which (once again) would be a ROY caliber season.

A huge part of robles’ expected value (at least on these forums)  came from the “certainty” that Eaton would get injured.  That pretty much cements Eaton for 155 games.  Owners were given a gift when turner got injured. He didnt go crazy awesome or anything, but I was pleased with his production. Barring another injury those counting stats are gonna suck. And batting 8th is so much worse than 9th.  

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

He was billed as a hit over power type and he's been the opposite and we are not sure the power output is remotely sustainable. Leaving him nothing but SBs in the 9 hole in the long run.

Its not un-realistic at all to be disappointed. It's foreboding towards the rest of his season. Unless you play in this special roto league that ends in May.

He's hitting like Scott Kingrey was last year. Yes, more HR/SB juice so far, bur will these HR/SB paces keep up with his current hitting?

Steamer had a .274 BA projection. 

Edited by Slatykamora

is it safe to say he hasn't lived up to his expectations this season?