wisegeeks

LA Lakers 2018-2019 Season Thread

16 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

Interesting.   Lakers win against Portland, everything is fine.  Both teams start B2B.   Second game, Portland wins by 30 against Minnesota.  Lakers ...   they lose to Toronto without their best player.  In convincing fashion.  

It is time to turn things around or thicks will get really tricky.  Last year 47-35 record was enough for 8th place.  Assuming this year is the same, Lakers need to go 43-29 the rest of the way.   That is what concerns me.    

Lakers are my 3rd favorite NBA team, after Spurs (just  because they play as a team) and Raptors (me being from Canada).    I still think that trading Vlade  for Kobe was terrible trade for Lakers :P

Minnesota team without Butler, Teague, and Rose :P. All of your statements are invalid with that Kobe comment lol I kid but seriously Vlade for kobe a bad trade?!

Lakers have spent the entire season playing down to the level of the competition. Now in a virtual tie with the Atlanta Hawks, well into Q3. 

This is how NOT to play against bad teams.

14 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

Lakers have spent the entire season playing down to the level of the competition. Now in a virtual tie with the Atlanta Hawks, well into Q3. 

This is how NOT to play against bad teams.

breking away now

9 minutes ago, thrilla1nManila said:

breking away now

With Laker starters (and Chandler) playing against ATL bench (and Prince). That is a weak bench.  

6 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

With Laker starters (and Chandler) playing against ATL bench (and Prince). That is a weak bench.  

I take that back they caught up lol

2 minutes ago, thrilla1nManila said:

I take that back they caught up lol

Exactly. What playoff team lets Vince Carter, Alex Len, and Trae Young completely outplay them?

2 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

Exactly. What playoff team lets Vince Carter, Alex Len, and Trae Young completely outplay them?

I'm surprised they didn't run plays for Ball down low. Big height differential between him and Trae

2 minutes ago, thrilla1nManila said:

I'm surprised they didn't run plays for Ball down low. Big height differential between him and Trae

Agreed. Another example of misusing Lonzo. But the defense is a bigger problem than the offense. 

Edited by hornrimmed_rambis
edit
  • Sad 1

Honestly expected them to lose this game with how the last one went, with Portland up next, and with how young this team is. They'll be lucky to steal this one.

AND, Vince Carter can still get up, ladies and gentlemen. Leave it to the Lakers' defense to uncover that fact.

1 minute ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Vince Carter playing good D on Lebron at 41. 

Not really, Lebron is getting anywhere he wants and the help d is collapsing.

• Like 1

Chandler!!!!! GW block

but real talk. Lonzo and Ingram gtg. They don't fit with bron. 

Edited by thrilla1nManila
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, thrilla1nManila said:

Chandler!!!!! GW block

They're 21 and getting paid pennies >:|

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thrilla1nManila said:

Chandler!!!!! GW block

Man, it's tough to look at this objectively. Wouldn't it be nice if we could just play LeBron as super 6th man?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, miasma16 said:

They're 21 and getting paid pennies >:|

you got a point.

im just getting a little impatient here both as owner and fan lol. 

Edited by thrilla1nManila
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, thrilla1nManila said:

you got point.

im just getting a little impatient here both as owner and fan lol

Ingram is disappointing. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

Man, it's tough to look at this objectively. Wouldn't it be nice if we could just play LeBron as super 6th man?

not gonna happen

I think Bron has to play more like Kawhi and KD and play off the ball like he said in the off season. You gtta let  he young ones build chemistry and confidnece. Lebron had the talen to adjust. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

They have a LONG way to go if they are going to be a threat of any kind this year. They are catching a lot of teams at the right time. They caught the Mavs on a 3rd in 4 nights and the Blazers in the middle of a 5 in 7. Kings on the second of a b2b and the Wolves in the middle of their drama. This team is not consistent. Part of that is youth. Part of it is a deep roster and a coach that can't shorten the rotation. I don't watch too much Lebron regular season games, but for the first time he looks old to me. I am sure he has another gear so maybe I am wrong. They probably need another 10 games before they hit their stride, but the upside is concerning because I don't think they have the defensive upside needed to be elite. 

1 minute ago, thrilla1nManila said:

you got a point.

im just getting a little impatient here both as owner and fan lol. 

They're still good value to have on the team though. I've been saying it since the day they got Lebron, they should split him and Ingram up as much as possible so that Ingram can prop up the bench. Lonzo is fine, his shooting continues to improve and he's a very good passer and defender (and rebounder, because Javale sucks at rebounding and they need all the team boards they can get). The team is made up well, they just need to replace Lance with someone that can shoot and play defense. But they're not winning anything this year anyway, it's all about next year.

• Like 1

Just now, miasma16 said:

They're still good value to have on the team though. I've been saying it since the day they got Lebron, they should split him and Ingram up as much as possible so that Ingram can prop up the bench. Lonzo is fine, his shooting continues to improve and he's a very good passer and defender (and rebounder, because Javale sucks at rebounding and they need all the team boards they can get). The team is made up well, they just need to replace Lance with someone that can shoot and play defense. But they're not winning anything this year anyway, it's all about next year.

I don't think the core of this roster has anything close to championship upside. Next year's roster is going to look very different IMO. 

3 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

I don't think the core of this roster has anything close to championship upside. Next year's roster is going to look very different IMO. 

I think that Lebron plus a bunch of dudes getting paid nothing plus a superstar/two stars would have championship upside most any era of the NBA. Now? Still championship upside probably, but it's borderline. Remember that Ingram/Lonzo/Kuzma/Hart are all on rookie contracts and will get better very quickly. I think that a second round chokejob next year followed by a ring in 2020-21 is very possible if they win free agency this offseason. Lot of ifs though. And yeah, to clarify, this team never had a chance at a ring this year. Lebron knows it, too, and has all but publicly acknowledged it several times.

Edited by miasma16

8 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

I think that Lebron plus a bunch of dudes getting paid nothing plus a superstar/two stars would have championship upside most any era of the NBA. Now? Still championship upside probably, but it's borderline. Remember that Ingram/Lonzo/Kuzma/Hart are all on rookie contracts and will get better very quickly. I think that a second round chokejob next year followed by a ring in 2020-21 is very possible if they win free agency this offseason. Lot of ifs though. And yeah, to clarify, this team never had a chance at a ring this year. Lebron knows it, too, and has all but publicly acknowledged it several times.

Assuming they bring in a superstar, you have to realize that whatever growth Ingram, kuzma, lonzo, Hart make will be muted and stifled by on that comes with playing with lebron and a second star. Hart is the only one that I can see slide into a 2 way role player. With Lonzo it will depend on his shot. Whatever defensive development kuzma flashed early on has disappeared. I do not see Ingram fitting a role with 2 superstars and Ball. I am trying to project out which is tough, especially when I will admit this isn't my preferred team to track, but the young, cost controlled players are going to need to simultaneously grow and defer to veterans. Sounds tough. Sounds like something lebron hasn't really had to deal with. Kyrie developed into a star. None of these young Lakers have that Kyrie upside IMO. The stars will be imported. Lebron will want consistent, dependable veterans. 

But none of this really matters...if the warriors stay healthy and intact this Lakers team/core has almost no chance of competing with them.