wisegeeks

LA Lakers 2018-2019 Season Thread

As a lifetime lakers fan, who hasn't played fantasy basketball in over a decade:

1) they will be fine. They are young, new (to each other) and need more time to gel.

2) they messed up letting randle leave. He hurt anyone in the paint on offense and defense. I understand the game has changed and he isn't able to hit threes hut there is something to be said about demoralizing your opponent physically. If I.owned an nfl team there would be a 400 pound halfback doing what randle did for the lakers.

3) way too early to complain about London, Ingram or anyone else.

4) my crazy advice? Tell each young guy to start the game with a three. You made it? You shoot a three on the next five possessions. You missed it? Next ten. I want each of these young bucks (and yes this is directed at the original young buck M.A.G.I.C you on the court) to get that mojo.

5) i never appreciated how good lebron was until he joined.

6) kuz: more skyhooks please.

7) lonzo is great at everything but shooting. Guys like that are valuable to any team. Vision, hustle, defense, love it all.

• Like 1

A LeBron-led team having lazy syndrome on defense!? Hmm...

And before someone gets uppity and in their feelings, just sit down and grab a cold beer or something. I like LeBron as much as the next person, but his effort on defense during the regular season is pretty glaring. But he hasn't cared about defense in like 5 years or so, so who really cares.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, thrilla1nManila said:

not gonna happen

I think Bron has to play more like Kawhi and KD and play off the ball like he said in the off season. You gtta let  he young ones build chemistry and confidnece. Lebron had the talen to adjust. 

I totally agree but think it is so hard for him. Hes so good, i think he cant comprehend why others arent as good as him. It would be like you or i joining a fiffh grade league for 15 years starting at 17.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

Assuming they bring in a superstar, you have to realize that whatever growth Ingram, kuzma, lonzo, Hart make will be muted and stifled by on that comes with playing with lebron and a second star. Hart is the only one that I can see slide into a 2 way role player. With Lonzo it will depend on his shot. Whatever defensive development kuzma flashed early on has disappeared. I do not see Ingram fitting a role with 2 superstars and Ball. I am trying to project out which is tough, especially when I will admit this isn't my preferred team to track, but the young, cost controlled players are going to need to simultaneously grow and defer to veterans. Sounds tough. Sounds like something lebron hasn't really had to deal with. Kyrie developed into a star. None of these young Lakers have that Kyrie upside IMO. The stars will be imported. Lebron will want consistent, dependable veterans. 

But none of this really matters...if the warriors stay healthy and intact this Lakers team/core has almost no chance of competing with them. 

So it's worst case scenario across the board for the Lakers no matter what? OK. 

You're a Philadelphia 76ers fan, as you've mentioned before. You guys just traded for Jimmy Butler, congrats. @thezing1, how do you think your team will stack up against GSW should they make the Finals? 

2 minutes ago, Kaboom said:

So it's worst case scenario across the board for the Lakers no matter what? OK. 

You're a Philadelphia 76ers fan, as you've mentioned before. You guys just traded for Jimmy Butler, congrats. @thezing1, how do you think your team will stack up against GSW should they make the Finals? 

Dude, why do you have to do this? I didn't attack anything with the Lakers. Just chill. I can have and express an opinion about teams outside of the sixers. I also feel the Sixers have zero chance versus the warriors. I never said a thing about the Sixers either so keep the thread on the Lakers. 

18 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

Assuming they bring in a superstar, you have to realize that whatever growth Ingram, kuzma, lonzo, Hart make will be muted and stifled by on that comes with playing with lebron and a second star. Hart is the only one that I can see slide into a 2 way role player. With Lonzo it will depend on his shot. Whatever defensive development kuzma flashed early on has disappeared. I do not see Ingram fitting a role with 2 superstars and Ball. I am trying to project out which is tough, especially when I will admit this isn't my preferred team to track, but the young, cost controlled players are going to need to simultaneously grow and defer to veterans. Sounds tough. Sounds like something lebron hasn't really had to deal with. Kyrie developed into a star. None of these young Lakers have that Kyrie upside IMO. The stars will be imported. Lebron will want consistent, dependable veterans. 

But none of this really matters...if the warriors stay healthy and intact this Lakers team/core has almost no chance of competing with them. 

Lonzo is up from 30% from 3 last year to 34 so far. As I've said in numerous threads, it can take guys years in the NBA to learn to shoot NBA 3s, but I'll wait until they do, and Lonzo seems to unquestionably have the potential to knock them down.

Kuzma is going to suck on defense for all eternity. If he's starting for the Lakers while they're trying to win championships, they have a huge problem.

I think what they need to do with Ingram is that when they bring in that superstar (who will almost certainly be someone that plays some 3) it'll need to be someone that can play the 2 a bit. They can just roll Lebron/Ingram/Jimmy? for 100+ minutes per game and keep 2 of them on the floor at all times. I understand that that level of advanced mathematics may be too much for Luke's brain to manage, but it seems pretty basic to me. If they get another 3/4 like Kawhi, there will be some issues.

The mental will continue to be a problem, and they will have to develop and learn to defer. Easier said than done, sure. And I agree that there is no Kyrie. But in its way, that might be good. I always thought that Ingram had potential as a great Pippen type, a guy that could score 20 or so per game and do everything else well, including defend. Whoever LA brings in will need the ball in his hands. Lonzo has proven he doesn't need that, and I think Ingram is capable of doing the same. Again, lot of ifs, but the Magic era really couldn't be going any better, if you ask me, and if they do well this offseason, then I can't ask for any more. If it doesn't result in championships because something falls through, then that's just sports for you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Lonzo is up from 30% from 3 last year to 34 so far. As I've said in numerous threads, it can take guys years in the NBA to learn to shoot NBA 3s, but I'll wait until they do, and Lonzo seems to unquestionably have the potential to knock them down.

Kuzma is going to suck on defense for all eternity. If he's starting for the Lakers while they're trying to win championships, they have a huge problem.

I think what they need to do with Ingram is that when they bring in that superstar (who will almost certainly be someone that plays some 3) it'll need to be someone that can play the 2 a bit. They can just roll Lebron/Ingram/Jimmy? for 100+ minutes per game and keep 2 of them on the floor at all times. I understand that that level of advanced mathematics may be too much for Luke's brain to manage, but it seems pretty basic to me. If they get another 3/4 like Kawhi, there will be some issues.

The mental will continue to be a problem, and they will have to develop and learn to defer. Easier said than done, sure. And I agree that there is no Kyrie. But in its way, that might be good. I always thought that Ingram had potential as a great Pippen type, a guy that could score 20 or so per game and do everything else well, including defend. Whoever LA brings in will need the ball in his hands. Lonzo has proven he doesn't need that, and I think Ingram is capable of doing the same. Again, lot of ifs, but the Magic era really couldn't be going any better, if you ask me, and if they do well this offseason, then I can't ask for any more. If it doesn't result in championships because something falls through, then that's just sports for you.

Fair enough and I agree with kuzma 100%. Lonzo just needs consistency. I think luke needs confidence in the system to plug any 5 players in at any time. The idea of having a second unit or bench mob seems a bit outdated to me. Hart is the key IMO. Faster he gets 30 mpg the faster he learns to impact the game when his 3 point shot isn't falling and develops chemsitry with all teammates. I just don't understand why he isn't getting minutes right now. 

My take isn't about the shortcomings of teams like the Lakers so much as the dominance of the warriors. The warriors core and the way they play unselfish basketball and defense is just so far beyond what almost every team can achieve. No one can compete with the warriors (assuming health and no suspensions) because they have limited weaknesses and they can exploit every other teams weaknesses. 

• Like 3

when I drafted lonzo I envisioned his play making relationship with lebron would be the same as harden and cp3 in which they take turns running the offense. Ideally this needs to happen cause what scares me the most is Lebron overexterting himself. Last time a 34 yr old super star  did this in 2013 we all know what happend * knocks on wood*. I don't want to go through that again as a fan. Lebron has to preserve himself. We know he's a beast. He's a walking 40-10-10 guy.  I think it's beneficially long term than bron allows the young ones to step up and the young ones need to improve game by game. We need lebron and there is no one outside of Davis we can get that is actually better than him.

Edited by thrilla1nManila

11 minutes ago, thrilla1nManila said:

when I drafted lonzo I envisioned his play making relationship with lebron would be the same as harden and cp3 in which they take turns running the offense. Ideally this needs to happen cause what scares me the most is Lebron overexterting himself. Last time a 34 yr old super star  did this in 2013 we all know what happend * knocks on wood*. I don't want to go through that again as a fan. Lebron has to preserve himself. We know he's a beast. He's a walking 40-10-10 guy.  I think it's beneficially long term than bron allows the young ones to step up and the young ones need to improve game by game. We need lebron and there is no one outside of Davis we can get that is actually better than him.

In some circles, some say Durant he passed or on his way to passing Lebron as better than him, and he can opt out this summer. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, thrilla1nManila said:

kawhi kd even klay would be better to have than him at this point 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

In some circles, some say Durant he passed or on his way to passing Lebron as better than him, and he can opt out this summer. 

some say? kd has been head and shoulders better than lebron for years now, especially when u factor in defense. 

• Like 1

A tense postgame scene unfolded in the Los Angeles Lakers locker room at Oracle Arena on Saturday following a 115-101 loss to the Golden State Warriors, when coach Luke Walton challenged several players because of their selfish approach to the game and they went back at their coach, sources told ESPN.

Interesting, which sports agency leaked the info and want Walton to be fired. I guess it will be Jeannie/Rob against Magic/LBJ for Walton`s future. Soon we will find out who is the boss of that franchise at the moment.

For fantasy purposes is better Luke to go, because his rotations are mess, but for the team - i am not sure anymore that he is the problem. I don`t want some clown like Lue to pretend to be the coach. That`s the Lakers, for God sake!

7 minutes ago, LivingOnTheEdge said:

And Magic thought D'angelo Russell was the problem.

Don`t forget T. Bryant, who was waived, because... Well, maybe some day we will learn the reason.

The Lakers are an absolute crap show right now.. but I admit, I am a LeBron fan and not a Lakers fan so I'm not sure if this stuff was going on before he arrived or not?

Starting to think it may be a LeBron effect.. and that kills me to say it.  Last year was nothing but turmoil in Cleveland and this year not a peep.

16 minutes ago, Padilla814 said:

The Lakers are an absolute crap show right now.. but I admit, I am a LeBron fan and not a Lakers fan so I'm not sure if this stuff was going on before he arrived or not?

Starting to think it may be a LeBron effect.. and that kills me to say it.  Last year was nothing but turmoil in Cleveland and this year not a peep.

The Lakers haven't been relevant since 2012.  As soon as they drafted Lonzo, traded away Russell, and brought in an unproven coach in Walton, the writing was on the wall.  This is just a young and previous lottery team put in the spotlight combined with a win-now drive due to LeBron's arrival.  Every veteran who signed on this year did it because LeBron joined them and they were expecting wins.  LeBron's biggest failing with the Cavs was getting his friends stupid high salaries and destroying their roster flexibility.  This same roster without LeBron is the 3rd worst team in the west, so people shouldn't pretend that the lakers would be great sans LeBron.     

4 hours ago, Padilla814 said:

another point to consider is the reasons why LeBron left Miami. 

"Win I title in for Cavs"  is one, but not the only reason imo.   After Miami got beaten to submission by Spurs, I wonder if LBJ tried to  run the franchise in the  same way he did with Cavs later. We can guess what Riley said.

On the side note, I wonder how many Lakers fans were expecting them to be behind Kings in standings after 50 games?  Looks like playoffs are becoming pipe dream

I am waiting to see the drama that unfolds when Davis arrives.  He will not resign until 2020 when he can get the most money.  That will be a full season with Lebron.  IMO, the lakers will need to choose between Lebron or AD at that time.  Lebron loves to play with stars who will sacrifice their own stats for the benefit of his (ie. Wade and Bosh).  When he has players who are unwilling to sacrifice, mayhem unfolds (See Kyrie and to a lesser extent Love early on).  If AD does not bend the knee and give up his own game for the benefit of Lebron, the fallout will be inevitable.  Why do you think George and Kawhi didn't want to play with him?  Imagine the Lakers being the one that ended up with a one year rental after giving up a starting five and picks because he hates playing with Lebron?  If the lakers trade Lebron then what?  Davis is on a mediocre non-playoff team in a big market...versus the mediocre small market team he was on in a city that loved him.

4 hours ago, Padilla814 said:

I am Lakers fan and don`t like LBJ at all, but i have to admit that the problems started way before his arrival. The signing is just the finish of what became the franchise in the recent years. They made two big mistakes (for me that`s the biggest from the the long, long list) - hiring Pringless instead The Zen Master back in the days and hiring Magic instead The Logo. Jeannie doesn`t care at all, whether the team will be first or second or last. The contract with Time Warner gave her so much money and power for next 2 decades, that she can do what she likes without someone to ask her for responsibility. She won the war with her brothers, the media is behind her, the fans are, the money come, so - no problem. I was so happy when she fired Jumbo and thought that this would be the start of new era, but... Now, with LBJ in town the new war inside is secured. The first argue is Walton, because Jeannie and Rob are behind him, but Magic and LBJ want to replace him. Full circus! I wouldn`t care if they signed LBJ 6 years ago, but now, didn`t make sense at all from basketball perspective. They signed him only for the money, that will come with him, but he wants to get another ring and i don`t know how will that happen, when he is one injury away from putting the team in the grave. Magic lives in the past, wants Showtime 2 and signs LBJ, who prefers halfcourt offense. No logic at all. The only thing that unite all of them are the money. And now LBJ`s buddies make new scandal in the team, to show that Walton should be fired (by the way he is bad coach, but i prefer him instead some "yes sir" type that LBJ wants). Neither of the important persons in this team is on the same page.

The answer to your question is in my opinion the fault is not on LBJ. The fault is on the people who brought him in the team. If they were like Jerry West for example, the team would be different, but i doubt that LBJ would want to sign with LAL in that case :lol:.

So, Bullock is Axel Foley, who comes from Detroit and saves the day with Lakers making the playoffs.

The best way to build a team is to be patient. The best way to destroy a team is to be desperate. And i think someone is/are desperate. That reminds me Jimbo...

On 2/3/2019 at 3:34 AM, Padilla814 said:

Of course it's the Lebron effect.

There's always going to be more noise around the Lakers than the typical franchise but even with Lonzo and Lavar it wasn't that much. It was about developing the young guys and trying to snag a few talented guys in free agency. Now that Lebron is in LA everyone is on the trade block, the coach is on the edge of getting fired, tension is in the locker room, and there's more drama than at any other moment in Lakers history. Sound familiar? Lebron is the most overrated "leader" in the history of the game and KD was right. The environment is toxic season after season.

Lebron is expected to be in the finals every damn season but the problem is everyone but him is held accountable. So when the team isn't in contention everyone but him gets the blame. Despite him missing near 40% of the season and taking games off because of load management the young core is trash? The same young core that finally hit their stride and beat OKC and was going to beat another western conference playoff team in Houston before Lonzo went down. Do people really expect them to seamlessly transition and adjust the game after Lebron leaves? Then half the team gets thrown in trade discussion and their confidence clearly tanks.

The goat my a**. Lebron isn't even top 5. He is an incredible individual player and no doubt he is top 3 all time in that regard but that's it. He makes his teammates better...except when he doesn't and it's their fault so they all get traded. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Lebron is expected to be in the finals every damn season but the problem is everyone but him is held accountable.

Well, when you play like he does in the Finals...

The issue is the Lakers weren't a very good team without him, so they weren't going to be good enough to be great in the West with him.  That's all there is to it.  I feel like a lot of people are overthinking this.  I get why NBA talking heads are: it's their job.  I get why big time Laker or LeBron fans are, too.  But the rest of us?  The Cavs probably wouldn't have made the Finals if they were in the West the last few years either.  

32 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Of course it's the Lebron effect.

There's always going to be more noise around the Lakers than the typical franchise but even with Lonzo and Lavar it wasn't that much. It was about developing the young guys and trying to snag a few talented guys in free agency. Now that Lebron is in LA everyone is on the trade block, the coach is on the edge of getting fired, tension is in the locker room, and there's more drama than at any other moment in Lakers history. Sound familiar? Lebron is the most overrated "leader" in the history of the game and KD was right. The environment is toxic season after season.

Lebron is expected to be in the finals every damn season but the problem is everyone but him is held accountable. So when the team isn't in contention everyone but him gets the blame. Despite him missing near 40% of the season and taking games off because of load management the young core is trash? The same young core that finally hit their stride and beat OKC and was going to beat another western conference playoff team in Houston before Lonzo went down. Do people really expect them to seamlessly transition and adjust the game after Lebron leaves? Then half the team gets thrown in trade discussion and their confidence clearly tanks.

The goat my a**. Lebron isn't even top 5. He is an incredible individual player and no doubt he is top 3 all time in that regard but that's it. He makes his teammates better...except when he doesn't and it's their fault so they all get traded. 

The only reason this Lakers/Lebron stuff is "news" all season long is because everyone is bored all of the time and there needs to be a storyline created to fill in the talk shows for sports day in and day out in November-February. It is just stupid. Of course this Lakers roster was going to do nothing in terms of winning a championship. You can't honestly say that you are going to compete with Curry/Klay/KD/Dray/Boogie with Lonzo/KCP or Hart or Ingram/Lebron/Kuzma/McGee or Tyson....come on....that is absurd. The youth and immaturity is on display when the team faces adversity. This only gets worse in the postseason. And Lebron has little patience for this when it hits the postseason.

I think the roster construction was either short sighted or built for this moment. Playmakers/distributors are cool to pair with Lebron before the ASG, but when it comes crunch time or playoff time Lebron dominates the ball. In crunch time it isn't going to every be Lonzo facilitating. It will be Lebron because it has always been Lebron (after his first Heat Finals experience). The youth talk, IMO, was all to increase value at trade deadline. You know Lebron doesn't care about developing Ingram and Hart and Lonzo if they hesitate on the big stage. His window is closing. He wants it to stay open as long as possible. He trusts AD or Kyrie way more than any of his teammates. 

The only thing that I kind of disagree with the Lebron Effect is that you kind of know what he is. You know he is selfish in the sense that he only wants to be on rosters that can compete. He only wants to be with owners that will pay whatever it takes to field a competitive team. He only wants everything from everyone until he knows that whatever that equals isn't good enough to win and he moves on. But in the process he acts as the GM, coach, and star player. And I have zero issue with that for the most part because he knows a lot about losing and what it takes to win and that isn't a swipe at Lebron. He has so much experience in the Finals and losing that he knows how it will play out before it even starts. Or he knows the best odds to winning with the hand he is bringing to the Finals. Some call it selfish (it probably is), but the guy knows what gives him the best chance to compete in the Finals and he isn't afraid to voice that or make it happen behind the scenes. I don't think that is a bad thing because you know that is what you get when you sign him. You are just betting on Lebron and overlooking what that actually means for a franchise post-Lebron. 

Side note, I think this Lakers team has unrealistic expectations. They aren't that great of a roster and they have dealt with massive injuries. It is unfair for this roster and youth to overcome all of the injuries and play at a peak level. They just aren't good enough to do that.