wisegeeks

LA Lakers 2018-2019 Season Thread

.. bye bye zubac. what r u doing magic 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bhkim814 said:

.. bye bye zubac. what r u doing magic 

After he waived T. Bryant, i am not surprised at all. By the way, he makes room for the real GOAT - Melo (not LaMelo).

Adrian Wojnarowski:

The Clippers are trading Mike Muscala to the Lakers for Michael Beasley and Ivica Zubac, league sources tell ESPN.

The deal opens a roster spot and gives the Lakers a chance to sign a player in the buyout market. Muscala gives Lakers some shooting too.

The Lakers plan to evaluate the full buyout market once it takes shape, but Carmelo Anthony is expected to be among the considerations too, league sources tell ESPN.

It is official now: Kings are better run franchise than Lakers.

Edited by Gile Pile

Man, if this is all the Lakers do and they go out and sign Melo that is a pretty bad look. They are just bringing Lebron a pal and compromising the development of their youth, again. Make a plan and stick to it. Even if they land Kanter they didn't move the needle. If we have learned anything over the past 3 months it is that the NBA no longer needs Carmelo Anthony in it. I will give it to Magic and the Lakers...this is good entertainment. 

Just now, thezing1 said:

Man, if this is all the Lakers do and they go out and sign Melo that is a pretty bad look. They are just bringing Lebron a pal and compromising the development of their youth, again. Make a plan and stick to it. Even if they land Kanter they didn't move the needle. If we have learned anything over the past 3 months it is that the NBA no longer needs Carmelo Anthony in it. I will give it to Magic and the Lakers...this is good entertainment. 

You are not right. I think Zubac will be developed good in LA... True, in the Clippers, but Magic and Co. helped the kid as they just shipped him out of the circus. So, in the end, they develop the young guys really good - just look at another young C - T. Bryant. The kid is already starter in NBA. Kudos to Magic!!!

6 minutes ago, montanski said:

You are not right. I think Zubac will be developed good in LA... True, in the Clippers, but Magic and Co. helped the kid as they just shipped him out of the circus. So, in the end, they develop the young guys really good - just look at another young C - T. Bryant. The kid is already starter in NBA. Kudos to Magic!!!

Well, that is one way to find the positive in it. All of this means nothing if they land AD in the offseason, but they sure seem to be on the wrong side of the momentum right now. 

Just now, thezing1 said:

Well, that is one way to find the positive in it. All of this means nothing if they land AD in the offseason, but they sure seem to be on the wrong side of the momentum right now. 

No way they land AD this summer. It`s obvious that Pels will not trade him to Lakers. Kawhi is between West and Ujiri. KD is between another ring and The Curse of Knicks. And Magic will tell us, that the future is bright, if you don`t want to play for us, you are not good enough, we will make a splash in 2068 FAgency and etc... The only thing, i am curious to see, is the name of the next coach.

• Like 1

I'll give the Lakers brass this much, they finally.... finally.... pushed their chips in for a second superstar.  The issue for them is it may be too late.  Their big 3 young guys have all seen their trade values erode over time with Ball and Ingram erosion being the worst.  A lot of folks argued when they wouldn't trade Ingram for PG or Ingram and Kuzma for Kawhi as it being smart as they would just grab those guys in free agency and it would be at no cost.  Welp, this plan of keeping cap space has already cost them Julius Randle.  It's now cost them Zubac, who was an advanced metric darling, and now comes a summer of desperation for them. 

They have to land someone, whether it's another run at Kawhi in UFA or hoping no one will beat their package (which just got worse with no Zubac) for AD this summer.  If they walk away this summer with Boogie and Kemba, that's gotta be a disappointment for them if they missed out on 3 legitimate top 15ish players in the game.  There is still time, make no mistake.  And there are still moves to make, so people shoveling dirt on their grave right now are reacting prematurely.  But, there has to be some disappointment in LA right now.  There has to be some anxiety by Magic and Pelinka..... they need to get a deal done for a legit 2nd superstar who can propel them into contender status and perhaps even take over as the primary guy in a couple of years.  Lebron is only getting older.....

20 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

they will no land AD in the offseason. Not until after 2019/2020 season.  They cannot improve their offer.

Unless NO really wants Muscala...

Yeah, I might just go be a Bucks fan. Being bad as a franchise is something one can put up with. Even incompetence is somewhat manageable but this is something else. This is the Los Angeles Lebrons now.

"Quit making this about thinking these guys are babies because that's what you're treating them like," Johnson said. "They're professionals. All of them. And this is how this league works. They know it, I know it -- that's how it goes.

I don't disagree at all, but it's hilarious how the same people that defend the Lakers here were ****ting on the Celtics for their "treatment" of IT.  Like either everyone is a pro and it's no hard feelings or the Celtics and Lakers and every other team are dickheads and no one wants to sign with them.  To try to portray it as one way for some teams and another for others is just plain dumb.

• Like 1

Anyone who saw how the youngsters responded to jeers during the Lakers-Pacers game and then again today how they played against the 76ers and LBJ's body language easily realizes significant damage has been done.  They may be professionals but they are human beings as well.  Most people don't respond well to be considered expendable by their employer.  It is one thing to hear of a trade of one or two players for a superstar.  It is another when they basically say the whole team other than LBJ isn't comparable to a single player.  

LBJ looked dismayed today.  I understand his desire to move to LA.  However, I believe he underestimated the lack of talent on this team and the fragile nature of its players.

• Like 2

With any organization in any field, morale of your employees  is vital for the success.  You can have skilled employees, but if they are not motivated and just going through the motions  success is very difficult to achieve. 

Johnson was asked whether the New Orleans front office -- run by general manager Dell Demps and executive vice president Mickey Loomis -- acted in good faith from the time Davis' trade request became public until the deadline passed without a deal. Johnson replied flatly, "No."

With his comments has  he  alienated the Pelicans management?  Assuming that Lakers will try to make a deal this summer for AD, I am not sure that's a good move.

8 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

With his comments has  he  alienated the Pelicans management?  Assuming that Lakers will try to make a deal this summer for AD, I am not sure that's a good move.

Magic is staring to look foolish. Can't get his way so complain complain.

Between him and bronbron  lakers are in for a rough few years.

I think people sensationalize way too much existential dread and life crises into a bunch of millionaires throwing an orange ball into a hoop.  Players in the league want stability, money, and fame.  Everyone in an organization is tradeable (e.g. DeRozan, Gasol), and either way you swing it, the players continue to amass ridiculous quantities of wealth and notoriety no matter where they play.  If players want to sulk and play poorly because they're less valuable than Anthony Davis, then they're just diminishing their future earnings and stability, paradoxically.

On the team front, Pelicans will pursue whatever nets them the most return and future team growth.  If at the end of the trade season this summer the Lakers have the best residual offer, then they'll take it.  They're not going to turn down the best offer because Magic Johnson complained.

2 hours ago, Kriggly said:

I think people sensationalize way too much existential dread and life crises into a bunch of millionaires throwing an orange ball into a hoop.  Players in the league want stability, money, and fame.  Everyone in an organization is tradeable (e.g. DeRozan, Gasol), and either way you swing it, the players continue to amass ridiculous quantities of wealth and notoriety no matter where they play.  If players want to sulk and play poorly because they're less valuable than Anthony Davis, then they're just diminishing their future earnings and stability, paradoxically.

On the team front, Pelicans will pursue whatever nets them the most return and future team growth.  If at the end of the trade season this summer the Lakers have the best residual offer, then they'll take it.  They're not going to turn down the best offer because Magic Johnson complained.

This is an extremely ignorant statement. Depression has been discussed in depth by players already and that money doesn't buy happiness. People also want to be wanted and respected just as much as all that other stuff. It doesn't matter how much you make if your employer doesn't value you at all you will not want to be there anymore. Expecting money to make humans into robots is a joke. 

• Like 2

I see both sides to it.  Yes, they are millionaires, so financially if they handle their money wisely they are set.  But just like fans, they are still human beings with emotions.  Money doesn't equate to happiness. Just like a regular 9 to 5, it can be demoralizing if you feel you are not appreciated/wanted by your employer if you care about your job and take pride in what you do.

But at the same time, sports is a competition.  And you don't get to the top unless you are highly competitive.  So while we should definitely be sensitive to people and know that everyone does not handle adversity in the same way, guys that were in the trade talks should want to prove the Lakers wrong.  Go out, play as hard as you can, and be the best player you can be instead of sulking. That would be my mindset - turn it around and use it as motivation. 

The greats in any sport use anything they see as disrespect or a slight (true or untrue) as motivation to destroy their opponent.  You think if guys like Jordan, or in football guys like Brady, were in trade rumors they would sulk?  Brady still uses being picked in the 6th round as motivation.     

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Anyone who saw how the youngsters responded to jeers during the Lakers-Pacers game and then again today how they played against the 76ers and LBJ's body language easily realizes significant damage has been done.  They may be professionals but they are human beings as well.  Most people don't respond well to be considered expendable by their employer.  It is one thing to hear of a trade of one or two players for a superstar.  It is another when they basically say the whole team other than LBJ isn't comparable to a single player.  

LBJ looked dismayed today.  I understand his desire to move to LA.  However, I believe he underestimated the lack of talent on this team and the fragile nature of its players.

Lakers are 3-6 without Ball in the first 9 games.

They were also 3-6 without Lebron in the first 9 games.

They were actually starting to find their footing WITHOUT Lebron when Lonzo was in. People don't understand that when an offense is built around a player it takes time for a team to adjust when that player leaves. They just beat a great OKC team and were going to beat another top 10 team if Lonzo didn't go down giving them a 3 game win streak. Not only that, but Kuzma also missed some time. They were actually 5-5 in games with Kuzma, Ingram, and Lonzo playing. This isn't even taking into account having to adjust to playing without Lebron. 

So no the team isn't terrible. I'd be willing to bet that if Lebron didn't come and they stayed healthy they would be over 500. After all, that was their record without Lebron with all of them playing. Not only that, they were actually being extremely competitive in the West before Lebron got injured. 

Everything got ruined because Magic got played by the Pelicans and also because Lebron has a toxic effect on the locker room with his demands. It's that simple. GMs tend to cave into his demands and then this happens. This team is in serious trouble. They should have traded for PG13, not signed Lebron, and then signed AD in 2020. They'd have Lonzo, PG13 at 30, Kuzma, and Davis at 28 with the potential to sign another solid guard. Imagine Lonzo, Kemba, PG13, Kuzma, and Davis. Something like that.

10 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Lakers are 3-6 without Ball in the first 9 games.

They were also 3-6 without Lebron in the first 9 games.

That is some magical combinations of numbers...:lol:

I'd love it if skip bayless prediction comes true that lebron misses playoffs this season. Shannon thought he was so delusional but i thought he was prolly right as well.

• Like 1

Lakers body language against Hawks is terrible.  Except LeBron, others just don't look to interested in the game

Lakers would've had a better record right now if they resigned Randle and never signed Lebron.