wisegeeks

LA Lakers 2018-2019 Season Thread

3 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

How about Zubac instead of Javalee?

Or T. Bryant?

I bought a Laker NBA League pass on October, my first time since Kobe's final year, and have watched every game this season. After this Phoenix lost, i am done. No playoffs for Lebron and the Lakers this year.

Yep. Lost season for them now brought about by the King and Magic. How about we start enumerating what went well and what went wrong for them for the entire season?

What went wrong?

1. Their FA signings during the off-season were terrible - KCP, Rondo, Lance, Beasley, JaVale?

Magic said he watched closely how LeBron plays. I don't know how he missed the critical fact that LeBron needs shooters around him.
Their initial argument was Ingram, Kuz, KCP and Josh Hart have good 3PT% hovering 35% to 40%
Well, in today's league, those ain't good enough.

Blame who? Lakers Management

2. Confused priorities. What was the top-most priority? Win? Develop young core? Sell young core?

Luke Walton's coaching style exhibited the un-decisiveness on player rotations, who starts, who closes, etc
Had there been a clear direction or goal from the Lakers management on what they want to happen, would Luke settle on a more fixed rotation?
Unless your name is LeBron James, it was hard to approach every game not knowing when are you going to play and what is expected of you.
With the 1-year deals signed by Rondo, Javale, Lance, Beasley - did they expect them to really take on a mentoring role?
This guys are also looking to get paid next year.

Blame who? Luke Walton, Lakers Management

3. How the trade deadline was managed.

This was one of the worst team management / player management that ever happened during a trade deadline.
Imagine, the entire team outside LeBron being made available for trade to get Anthony Davis.
And then requesting this same group of guys to play with passion and professionalism.
Had this been a "real team" - I would understand expecting professionalism.
But you're talking to 4-5 guys on one-year deals and another 4-5 guys who are still trying to carve their path in the NBA.
I think this all comes down to the fact that Magic and Rob are in the hands of LeBron James.

Blame who? Lakers Management, LeBron

There's a lot more factors but we could probably start talking about these..

• Thanks 1

Walton is in way over his head. Lebron and the front office bit more than they could chew. All of those weird preseason acquisitions were unwarranted. Lebron and co were banking on davis. He couldn't get his usual midseason help so here we are now. Shouldve stayed in the east lebron. 

They need a second superstar and Lonzo is underrated. They were never going to win this year anyway, so while shocking this is not horrible for them. I think the bad signings we're because they knew they had no chance this year. Lakers goal once again is to get a second star. 

1 hour ago, wisegeeks said:

Yep. Lost season for them now brought about by the King and Magic. How about we start enumerating what went well and what went wrong for them for the entire season?

What went wrong?

1. Their FA signings during the off-season were terrible - KCP, Rondo, Lance, Beasley, JaVale?

Magic said he watched closely how LeBron plays. I don't know how he missed the critical fact that LeBron needs shooters around him.
Their initial argument was Ingram, Kuz, KCP and Josh Hart have good 3PT% hovering 35% to 40%
Well, in today's league, those ain't good enough.

Blame who? Lakers Management

2. Confused priorities. What was the top-most priority? Win? Develop young core? Sell young core?

Luke Walton's coaching style exhibited the un-decisiveness on player rotations, who starts, who closes, etc
Had there been a clear direction or goal from the Lakers management on what they want to happen, would Luke settle on a more fixed rotation?
Unless your name is LeBron James, it was hard to approach every game not knowing when are you going to play and what is expected of you.
With the 1-year deals signed by Rondo, Javale, Lance, Beasley - did they expect them to really take on a mentoring role?
This guys are also looking to get paid next year.

Blame who? Luke Walton, Lakers Management

3. How the trade deadline was managed.

This was one of the worst team management / player management that ever happened during a trade deadline.
Imagine, the entire team outside LeBron being made available for trade to get Anthony Davis.
And then requesting this same group of guys to play with passion and professionalism.
Had this been a "real team" - I would understand expecting professionalism.
But you're talking to 4-5 guys on one-year deals and another 4-5 guys who are still trying to carve their path in the NBA.
I think this all comes down to the fact that Magic and Rob are in the hands of LeBron James.

Blame who? Lakers Management, LeBron

There's a lot more factors but we could probably start talking about these..

1.  The idea which was pushed via the media was Magic, Ugly Rob Lowe, and others pushed a different idea on an aging Lebron.  To acquire other guys who could shoulder the playmaking load so Lebron could play off the ball more and in the post.  He wouldn't have to exert as much energy as a 34 year old in initiating offense and could pace himself better.  This obviously turned out to be a terrible idea.  Why?  Because Lebron was never going to change his game until Father time dictates he does.  He wants and actually needs the ball in his hands.... and frankly, who could blame him?  He's maybe the best passer in the league and has been playing this way all of his life.  It was an interesting idea Magic and ugly Rob Lowe had, but some ideas sound good in theory but can't be implemented.  They should have loaded up with a couple more shooters instead of Lance or even Rondo, who has been inconsistent.  But remember, they needed guys who would play on one year contracts.  Reggie Bullock was a nice addition, just too late....

2.  I don't think there was ever confused priorities.  The idea was always to play and develop the young core so they could be used as trade fodder..... lambs to be slaughtered if you will.  Magic and Ugly Rob Lowe may have had misplaced ideas about developing their youngsters (although I doubt it), but Lebron never had any doubts.  His idea has always been to go out and get a couple of other established stars to play with.  When the Lakers were spurned by PG13, they turned to trying to leverage Kawhi Leonard to LA by media narratives.  When that failed, they played out a few months and then tried to do the same thing with Anthony Davis.  To date their ploys haven't bore any fruit, but the summer of 2019 was always their best chance to get a couple more superstars.  It all rides on this summer.  The roster was constructed to try and thread the eye of a needle by getting young and old to mesh.... it appears it's failed, although they have a couple more weeks to try and get it together.

3.  Leadership from Magic and Lebron through the deadline has been embarrassing, especially Lebron.  If/when they miss the playoffs, this will be a small part of his career narrative, but it's a blight nonetheless.  Lebron likes to think of himself as the GOAT and as the best leader in basketball the last couple of decades.  He's neither, but there's no shame in not being.  He and Magic (and ugly Rob Lowe) simply misplayed their hand.... badly.  And now they have to deal with the fallout.  They make millions of dollars, they'll be okay, don't cry for them.  Again, this summer is everything.  If they swing and miss, then odds of a Lebron/Lakers championship reduce drastically.

There are a lot of people to blame in this mess.  Lebron, for his lack of leadership and inability (to date) to get any UFA of note to want to play with him, Magic for wiffing on PG13 and signing this motley crew.  Klutch Sports (Lebron and Rich) for misplaying their hands on Kawhi and AD so extraordinarily.  The young players for not playing hard all the time.  Walton does deserve some blame, but everyone knows Lebron is a coach killer, he was really handed a losing hand.  Jeannie Buss for insisting Lonzo Ball was taken over Tatum or Fox.  A lot of blame to go around....

• Like 3

Compared to Lakers, Kings are model franchise  😀

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

Compared to Lakers, Kings are model franchise  😀

Compared to Lakers management duo, GarPax look like great brain trust. At least, they got King Otto 😁

When LeBron signed with Lakers, did he get "no trade clause" in his  contract?    If no, Lakers should trade him

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

When LeBron signed with Lakers, did he get "no trade clause" in his  contract?    If no, Lakers should trade him

He probably does, and from what I’ve read, some fans are thinking it would be best to trade Lebron. Remember the original key goal after Kobe retired was to actually build through the draft. 

What they have tried to do, is build through the draft, not develop the players properly and then trade them away. If you look at the list of who the Lakers have drafted if the AD trade would of went through, they would have traded:

Clarkson

Lonzo

D’Angelo Russell

Julius Randle (Left during RFA)

Ingram

Kuzma

Hart

Who just last year, were playing decently.

47 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

He probably does, and from what I’ve read, some fans are thinking it would be best to trade Lebron. Remember the original key goal after Kobe retired was to actually build through the draft. 

What they have tried to do, is build through the draft, not develop the players properly and then trade them away. If you look at the list of who the Lakers have drafted if the AD trade would of went through, they would have traded:

Clarkson

Lonzo

D’Angelo Russell

Julius Randle (Left during RFA)

Ingram

Kuzma

Hart

Who just last year, were playing decently.

Zubac and Moe Wagner too....

It's over boys.

Let's continue the post mortem discussion

How big of a stain is this on Lebron’s legacy?  First time in the tough west and he’ll outright miss the playoffs.  

How much does this lower the value of players the Lakers are trying to trade?  If Brandon Ingram and Kyle Kuzma can’t win with LeBron, does anyone really want to give up “stars” for these guys?

On 3/3/2019 at 5:55 PM, Gile Pile said:

As a long time laker fan I agree that I would actually like to see them part ways with Lebron if possible.
If they could make it work with him in the short run and make a run at the championship then great, but if not I feel like his presence is not healthy for the future of the organization.

Lebron is to blame for any of this mess? Can’t believe people are saying this. People are forgetting that LBJ put this team on his back and carried them to the 4 seed. It is not his fault that he went down because of injury and the team suck to a point that there is no recovery. Stop blaming LBJ just because it is the popular thing to do by the media. 

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, ginocan said:

Lebron is to blame for any of this mess? Can’t believe people are saying this. People are forgetting that LBJ put this team on his back and carried them to the 4 seed. It is not his fault that he went down because of injury and the team suck to a point that there is no recovery. Stop blaming LBJ just because it is the popular thing to do by the media. 

Saying that moving on from him could be better for the future of the franchise (indeed largely because the rest of the roster around him is just not ready to compete right now) is not the same as blaming him for their current standings. I never said "the lakers are bad this year because Lebron is on the team".

Edited by qpeeters

45 minutes ago, ginocan said:

Last time I checked playoff seeds are determined at the end of the season, not in December.  

Also, this Lakers team was constructed  with LBJ input,  so it is his fault. You cannot take all the credit and zero blame

Weren't winning it all this year anyway, goal was to get a 2nd star at all costs, still the plan, dont think them missing is a big deal honestly except for the Lebron legacy narrative and public image in being the great laker franchise, in actual basketball implications this doesnt mean squat unless it keeps them from getting a 2nd star which is possible but i highly doubt it holds any merit to FA's like AD who i still think they end up getting at which point this season will become much less of a big deal in hindsight 

• Like 1

Lakers can't win without Ball. 

7 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

How big of a stain is this on Lebron’s legacy?  First time in the tough west and he’ll outright miss the playoffs.  

How much does this lower the value of players the Lakers are trying to trade?  If Brandon Ingram and Kyle Kuzma can’t win with LeBron, does anyone really want to give up “stars” for these guys?

I mean how big of a stain do you want it to be?

This will be Lebron's only 3rd time missing the playoffs.

Kobe missed it 5 times and Jordan 2 times.

7 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Tbf their starting lineup played less than 20 games together due to injuries and when they were all healthy they were 5th in the West. It's still too early to tell.

Also, keep in mind:

Pope, Ball (to an extent) and Hart

all regressed for some odd reason.

Ingram was putrid for half a season. Only bright point to this whole season was Kuzma stepping up, and Beasley for that week he shot over 60%.

"He talked with Johnson about finding playmakers and guys known for their toughness, which effectively resulted in a roster lacking in shooting and floor spacing. The Lakers went out and got players who fit that description -- who were willing to play on one-year deals."

- Ramona Shelbourne on LeBron

12 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Also, keep in mind:

Pope, Ball (to an extent) and Hart

all regressed for some odd reason.

Ingram was putrid for half a season. Only bright point to this whole season was Kuzma stepping up, and Beasley for that week he shot over 60%.

all regressed after a ball-dominant diva arrived 😆

Kuzma's basically been the same guy he was last year, no real improvement