Flyman75

Whit Merrifield 2019 Outlook

Merrifield was very good in 2017, and then followed up with a 2018 that made believers out of the remaining doubters. And now he enters 2019 with eligibility at 1B, 2B, and OF in Yahoo leagues. 

Things really picked up for Whit in the second half. Over his final 80 games (July-Aug-Sept), he hit .317-56-8-36-29. The runs were nice because he only scored 32 in his first 78 games, so it was good to see the lineup behind him finally start driving him in. The up-tick in RBI was also appreciated. 

One of the things that was debated prior to last season was Merrifield's power, after hitting 19 in 2017. I still don't think he's a 20HR guy, though I wouldn't be surprised to see him get there. It will take much more consistency, however. Of his 12 HR in 2018...3 came in a 5-game stretch in April, and 5 came in August. As of now, I expect him to reach the 15-18 HR mark, but I could see him getting to 20 or better if he can stay away from those LONG streaks without a HR. His fly ball% dropped significantly, as did his HR/FB% and ISO. I guess we'll see if those numbers bounce back closer to 2017 levels. 

His calling card is SBs, and I feel like the 45 was a surprise for almost everyone. I don't expect him to replicate that number in 2019 simply because 16 of those came in September when he decided he wanted the SB title and was racing Mondesi. I guess he could get there if he has the same level of motivation, but I feel pretty sure the Royals are going to want him to be more selective until they are eliminated from contention...so mid-way through April, I guess? Lol. 

Merrifield's BB% almost doubled (4.6 to 8.6), and his Hard Hit% increased 6.3% (taking all 6.3 from Med Hit%). His LD% jumped up a good bit, and his GB% dropped. 

Personally, I think a good season from Mondesi will help Merrifield in a couple of ways. 

Thoughts on the Whitster for 2019? 

my thought is that hes basically jose altuve but a round or 2 cheaper. im gonna grab him wherever i can

On 11/2/2018 at 7:02 PM, jfazz23 said:

my thought is that hes basically jose altuve but a round or 2 cheaper. im gonna grab him wherever i can

Whoa I think that's jumping the gun a little. He strikes out a lot more and still never had a BA well Above .300 and never hit more than 20  HR and plays on a much worse offensive team.

2 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

Whoa I think that's jumping the gun a little. He strikes out a lot more and still never had a BA well Above .300 and never hit more than 20  HR and plays on a much worse offensive team.

Hell steal more than altuve imo...not sure altuve is a 20 hr guy either

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

He'll steal more than altuve imo...not sure altuve is a 20 hr guy either

Oh yeah I agree.  He will more than double Altuve's steals again next season.  Last year in a straight up 5x5 on Yahoo Merrifield was ranked as #26 overall (including pitchers) at season's end and Altuve ended at #65.

Yes Altuve had an "off year" but who is to say this isn't Altuve's new normal either?  Altuve only stole 17 bases.  And his power was down too.

Last year's 5x5 stats:

Altuve hit .316 with 12 homers and 17 steals.  He had 61 RBIs and scored 84 Runs.

Merrifield hit .304 with 13 homers and 45 steals,  He had 60 RBIs and scored 88 Runs.

Add in his triple eligibility -- 2B, 1B and OF -- and I'd take Merrifield over Altuve this season.  Altuve right now is the player that has to prove something; not Merrifield.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2

.Altuve was hurt and Merrifield wasn't..therefore Altuve had fewer games and plate appearances.  ALtuve strikes out less and has a more thorough track record.  He plays on a better team,  and will usually score over 100 runs. Merrifield, even with the breakout only had 88 runs.

• Like 1

Just something to consider: 

Merrifield will be 30 to start 2019 and it may not matter , but I think it should be kept in mind when taking him early for 45 50 SB. 

1 hour ago, zstlj said:

Just something to consider: 

Merrifield will be 30 to start 2019 and it may not matter , but I think it should be kept in mind when taking him early for 45 50 SB. 

low mileage and no leg problems like altuve.  plus his team runs.

dont think u bank on 45 but i think 30 is fair

• Like 2

I think when you draft you always need to be aware of where you are getting your SBs. There are the elite first round guys who contribute everywhere (Trout, Betts, Ramirez, Lindor, Bregman, Yelich, Turner). After that there are elite steals players who don't contribute as much in other places. The key in the draft if you miss on those top guys is to accquire players in those second tier that can outproduce their ADP. Merrifield HAS to be at the top of that list. Someone mentioned Jose Altuve but 2 rounds cheaper. I actually agree with that. Would not be shocked if he outperforms Altuve.

Basically the idea here is that drafting Merrifield has to be very specific to your team build. 

On 11/4/2018 at 10:44 AM, KingJoffrey said:

.Altuve was hurt and Merrifield wasn't..therefore Altuve had fewer games and plate appearances.  ALtuve strikes out less and has a more thorough track record.  He plays on a better team,  and will usually score over 100 runs. Merrifield, even with the breakout only had 88 runs.

Things kicked into another gear for Merrifield in the second half. As long as he stays healthy, I think Merrifield is a good bet for 100+ runs in 2019. There's no disagreeing with the fact that Altuve Ks less and plays for a better team. I guess the bigger question, if we're going to compare the two, is whether or not Altuve gives us a healthy 150 games in 2019. 

Altuve played with a really bad knee last year.   He has had surgery and is expected to be ready for spring training. 

I'm expecting Altuve to regain his form and put up numbers closer to what we are used to seeing maybe less SB's going forward.

He's so good when healthy.

I love him for 2019 even if he doesn't match his 2018 numbers. A lotta folks are still sleeping on him and brushing off 2017/2018 as flukes.

The guy will be really cheap in comparison to the potential upside he offers. If the Royals are even improve just slightly on offense, he could see even better RBI and runs numbers in 2019.

• Like 1

[...] Whit is the pure definition of a baseball player. He can run, hit, catch, and throw. Put him in CF, RF, 2B, 1B, it doesn't matter. It's a shame he is being wasted on that crummy KC team, who are wasting Whit's prime years trying to rebuild. They should do this guy a favor and trade him. He's 29 and he plays baseball hard so now is the best years he has, send him to a contender. He's one of the most fun players to just WATCH play baseball....right up there with Harrison Bader, Mookie Betts, Mike Trout, Ronald Acuna, and a few others. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

13 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

[...] Whit is the pure definition of a baseball player. He can run, hit, catch, and throw. Put him in CF, RF, 2B, 1B, it doesn't matter. It's a shame he is being wasted on that crummy KC team, who are wasting Whit's prime years trying to rebuild. They should do this guy a favor and trade him. He's 29 and he plays baseball hard so now is the best years he has, send him to a contender. He's one of the most fun players to just WATCH play baseball....right up there with Harrison Bader, Mookie Betts, Mike Trout, Ronald Acuna, and a few others. 

i agree. KC should trade him.  his value is at his highest right now.  KC wont compete for another 2 or 3 years...get a good prospect while u can.

3 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

i agree. KC should trade him.  his value is at his highest right now.  KC wont compete for another 2 or 3 years...get a good prospect while u can.

I agree, but doesn't sound like that's the case:

"Sam Mellinger of the Kansas City Star reports that the Royals aren't interested in trading Whit Merrifield at this time."

Just now, LoGo said:

I agree, but doesn't sound like that's the case:

"Sam Mellinger of the Kansas City Star reports that the Royals aren't interested in trading Whit Merrifield at this time."

yea i read that too

boston would be a great fit for him.  he can leadoff and they can hit mookie 2nd or 3rd