Sign in to follow this  
CooL

2019 Keeper League Central

55 minutes ago, not an nfl scout said:

oh yeah, i didnt know it was only 5 to keep. i guess thats what i would do too? who's your wrs?

TY and Juju. But QBs get more points in that league. Dont ask lol

Who would you keep for next year. Only 2.

1st round Barkley 

2nd round Zeke (last year I will be able to keep him.)

8th round Sony Michele 

10th round Mack

8 hours ago, Trade Monster said:

1st round Barkley 

8th round Sony Michele 

10th round Mack

Zeke is an easy lock in the 2nd round. I would say it depends where you draft for barkely but I would go with both. theyre both almost a lock for 20+ points a week and youd have 2 out of the top 5 RBs in the league who each touch the ball 300+ times.

8 hours ago, Trade Monster said:

1st round Barkley 

8th round Sony Michele 

10th round Mack

Yep, this shouldn't even be a thought.   Those young guys are good, not great RB's, and have usage question marks.    There's a clear top 5 RB board already for 2019 and you've got two of em.   Short of getting a completely lopsided trade offer, that's your move.   

On 12/28/2018 at 10:12 AM, CooL said:

Switching up the discussion a little here...

What's the most common keeper format?

Seems like a lot of leagues discussed here allow you to keep somebody for three years, at one earlier round per year.  Isn't that pseudo dynasty?  So if you got Kamara, you've got a first round pick for three years.  Same with James Conner this year.  My league is one and done, meaning they go back to the pool if already kept one year.  Seems more fair.

Are there common rule restrictions?  Some leagues here allow keeping of first round picks.  In my league, anybody drafted in the top 25 picks is not keeper eligible.  Along with the first rule up above, it ensures that everybody has a fair shot at getting top talent.  I'd hate to play in a league where somebody has Gurley and Kamara locked up before the season even starts.

What is the maximum amount of keepers leagues have?  I think if it's anymore than 3, then you're again looking at pseudo-dynasty.

We do 2 keepers. Players drafted in the first 3 rounds are ineligible. Keeper cost is the round he was drafted in minus 3 rounds. So if a player was drafted in the 4th, he would be your 1st round pick if kept. Following year he is ineligible to keep. No maximum number of years or anything. Keepers are declared and slotted into the draft as that owners pick for that round, so its really easy for everyone to determine value and if he is eligible from year to year.

Free agent and WW pickups are slotted as 8th round picks if elected as a keeper. If the player was drafted and then dropped, his original draft position remains his round number for determining keeper cost the following year. So a 1st round pick dropped for a season long injury could not be grabbed later on for an 8th round keeper the next year.

This seems to provide enough value for keepers, and cycle players quickly enough as well.

1 hour ago, Onion said:

We do 2 keepers. Players drafted in the first 3 rounds are ineligible. Keeper cost is the round he was drafted in minus 3 rounds. So if a player was drafted in the 4th, he would be your 1st round pick if kept. Following year he is ineligible to keep. No maximum number of years or anything. Keepers are declared and slotted into the draft as that owners pick for that round, so its really easy for everyone to determine value and if he is eligible from year to year.

Free agent and WW pickups are slotted as 8th round picks if elected as a keeper. If the player was drafted and then dropped, his original draft position remains his round number for determining keeper cost the following year. So a 1st round pick dropped for a season long injury could not be grabbed later on for an 8th round keeper the next year.

This seems to provide enough value for keepers, and cycle players quickly enough as well.

I really like this "drafted round - 3 rounds" idea.  It ensures that top talent will always be available in the draft, since you'd really need great value to keep a 4th round pick as your 1st rounder.  And you also have the one year and done rule as well.  I'm going to suggest that for my league next year.

James Conner will be a first round pick next year and until otherwise, so for those leagues where it's just "round-1" without any term limits, it is a huge advantage for years to come.  Now I know those that play in these types of leagues will say that it really puts more emphasis on mining for talent, speculative adds, etc., and they enjoy it and it's part of the game.  But sometimes the worst player in your league will luckbox their way into a gem and then how is that rewarding astute analysis?

Guys I love for 2019 and beyond (besides super obvious names)

-Daesean Hamilton - Reminds me so much of Antonio Brown in that they both use their feet to get open, and have fantastic hands.  More athletic than you think.

-Lamar Jackson - Going to be a top 10 fantasy QB for the rest of his career.  A full offseason as QB1 for the Ravens will have him in much better sync with his receivers.

-Deon Cain - Colts are still starving for a WR2, and he will fit the bill when healthy in 2019.

-Kevin White - There's a reason he was a top 10 pick, and he'll get to take the Robert Woods path to relevance as someone else will give him a shot in free agency.

-Corey Davis - Marcus Mariota should be much better in year 2 of LaFleur's offense.  It will still be a run-heavy attack, but Davis will be soaking up 125+ targets, IMO.

-Kalen Ballage - New MIA staff will need to recognize that he's the best back on the roster

-Damien Williams - New deal shows he's the guy in a very RB-friendly offense

How do you guys adjust value in keeper auction leagues? Our league just went to 1 keeper this year and Im wondering if there is some sort of general formula that can be used to see how much of a bump the top end guys left should get.

Posted (edited)

I think this is obvious but just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. 

Keep 1 in a 12 man 0.5 ppr league

Sony Michel (7th)

Kerryon Johnson (7th)

Julian Edleman (7th)

Melvin Gordon (2nd)

Michael Thomas (6th) - current keeper

Edited by Shaggz235

4 hours ago, The Answer said:

How do people feel about d’onta foreman and Lamar Miller?   

I can see them splitting some work next year, but miller would still get more touches as of now 

1 hour ago, Shaggz235 said:

I think this is obvious but just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. 

Keep 1 in a 12 man 0.5 ppr league

Sony Michel (7th)

Kerryon Johnson (7th)

Julian Edleman (7th)

Melvin Gordon (2nd)

Michael Thomas (6th) - current keeper

I think I would lean with Gordon here, provided upon your analysis of the keeper options for other owners, that you don't think you'd be able to either get a better RB than Gordon in the draft OR redraft Gordon himself.

Thomas is certainly a solid keeper, and losing only a 6th rounder for him is a steal...but if you then are stuck with no elite RB's, you've put yourself in a bind. I think a WR of Thomas' potential is more likely to be available via draft, than a RB of Gordon's potential.

Now if you have a great 1st round draft pick and think you can get a better RB or redraft Gordon, then I would say Thomas. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, RUGOO said:

I can see them splitting some work next year, but miller would still get more touches as of now 

I believe Miller is a free agent. 

Edit - 2020

Edited by ajs723

20 hours ago, Corleone said:

I think I would lean with Gordon here, provided upon your analysis of the keeper options for other owners, that you don't think you'd be able to either get a better RB than Gordon in the draft OR redraft Gordon himself.

Thomas is certainly a solid keeper, and losing only a 6th rounder for him is a steal...but if you then are stuck with no elite RB's, you've put yourself in a bind. I think a WR of Thomas' potential is more likely to be available via draft, than a RB of Gordon's potential.

Now if you have a great 1st round draft pick and think you can get a better RB or redraft Gordon, then I would say Thomas. 

I realized after reading your response that I misstyped, Gordon is actually a 1st round keeper. However I won the league this year so I would be picking 12th then 13th. 

I don't think Gordon would fall to me, but in my league over the past few years there have been a few owners to reach for players so it might be possible depending on other keepers. If I could get someone like Connor and David Johnson at 12/13 and still be able to get thomas in the 6th I think that would be pretty decent.

9 minutes ago, Shaggz235 said:

I realized after reading your response that I misstyped, Gordon is actually a 1st round keeper. However I won the league this year so I would be picking 12th then 13th. 

I don't think Gordon would fall to me, but in my league over the past few years there have been a few owners to reach for players so it might be possible depending on other keepers. If I could get someone like Connor and David Johnson at 12/13 and still be able to get thomas in the 6th I think that would be pretty decent.

Gotcha. Based on your thoughts about other owners and the possibilities of who you think may be available, and the difference between losing your 1st rounder rather than 2nd, as of right now I think I'd go with Thomas.  

Posted (edited)
On 1/2/2019 at 2:39 PM, nromn said:

How do you guys adjust value in keeper auction leagues? Our league just went to 1 keeper this year and Im wondering if there is some sort of general formula that can be used to see how much of a bump the top end guys left should get.

We have a fairly complicated way of doing this. It get's a little confusing, but it seems to work pretty well.

• If you paid $3 or less = cost $10 to keep
  • If you paid $4 to $22 = add $7 to the cost
    • If you paid $23 or more = add 30% to the original draft cost (round to the nearest dollar)
    • Waiver wire pickups may be kept for the subsequent season with the following stipulations

If a player was originally drafted the keeper cost will be the average of the draft price and the FAAB pickup price plus the applicable markup.  For example, Player is drafted at $50 and subsequently tears ACL, gets dropped, and is picked up by another team for $10 off of waivers (rounding to the nearest whole dollar).  His keeper cost will be $30 plus 30% markup for the next season.  However, if the waiver price exceeds the draft price, the waiver price will be utilized as the keeper cost (plus applicable markup).

A player must be on your roster prior to the trade deadline and remain on the roster through the end of the season to be eligible as a keeper. (This is to prevent players who didn't make the playoffs from blowing up their roster and grabbing good players that are hurt or on IR late in the season)

Edited by wonderbread
  • Like 1

Haven't done a keeper (just dynasty/redrafting here) but you could always just add 10-15% to the cost from the previous year

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bhawks489 said:

Haven't done a keeper (just dynasty/redrafting here) but you could always just add 10-15% to the cost from the previous year

Thanks, that’s the number range I had in mind. I didn’t know if anyone had something more sophisticated though.

• Like 1

We do original draft cost for the first 3 years you keep they player. Then they go up $10 for the 4th year and stay at that price through year 6. Then for year 7 they go up $20 additional.

It looks like this if you drafted a given player for $20.

Year 1: $20

Year 2: $20

Year 3: $20

Year 4: $30

Year 5: $30

Year 6: $30

Year 7: $50

Etc.

I'm not sure if I'd use that formula if we could only keep one player though. 

No way in hell I am keeping Jackson after this debacle 

On 12/3/2018 at 11:24 PM, CooL said:

I've never understood the "you can't keep waiver/free agents".  Seems like this rule penalizes those who find those waiver gems.  Say Phillip Lindsay.  Likely not drafted.  But whoever picked him up is going to have an outstanding keeper.

I disagree.

One of the "skills" involved in FF is to have the foresight to DRAFT possible studs-in-the-making...or at least to be mindful to draft a good handcuff or rookie.

Picking up a breakout guy on the waiver wire usually requires you to have a crappy previous week, thereby giving you a top shot at the breakout player.

I can't be the only one that finds this very annoying. :P

1 hour ago, Stratocasters said:

I disagree.

One of the "skills" involved in FF is to have the foresight to DRAFT possible studs-in-the-making...or at least to be mindful to draft a good handcuff or rookie.

Picking up a breakout guy on the waiver wire usually requires you to have a crappy previous week, thereby giving you a top shot at the breakout player.

Or that you have enough FAAB remaining and strategize your finances to bid enough to get him. Or since you mentioned foresight "skills"...having the foresight to pick a guy up off the wire before he breaks out. Why would that count any less than drafting a possible "stud-in-the-making"? Many times, I've looked for a potential breakout guy and found one on the wire before he's really done anything...and before it looks like he's going to have the opportunity. 

On 12/28/2018 at 1:49 AM, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Every Gurley owner made it to the championship game this year. 

Both my big money leagues the Gurley owner was bounced before championship game. 

2 hours ago, Stratocasters said:

I disagree.

Yeah, I guess it really boils down to roster size. Small benches make it way to hard to hold onto a guy that you know you aren't starting any time soon. What's worse is if you don't have an IR spot, and you have a stud rookie rb that goes onto IR (Guice, or Kerryon)