StarlinCastro

Ronald Acuna 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, 20Duval904 said:

 

If he doesn’t, he’s gonna be really close.

 

He’s stolen 7 bags in a week recently, so I’ll say he gets there.

I’ll say he misses because his stupid manager kept him out of leadoff spot for first month. That will be the difference 

2-3 bags short 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snitker messing with the psyche of his best player seems like overkill..  Could have chewed him out, but pulling him?  This kid plays full bore whenever I've seen him.  An unnecessary show-up by the manager.  Hope it doesn't affect him now.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the kid, but it wouldn't be necessary if he wasn't walking to first on a ball-in-play. You can't do that. Any leaders on the team are surely in the manager's corner and I'm not sure exactly how Acuna could possibly think he was in the right on this one. It's no big deal unless he makes it a big deal, and to his credit, he seems like he's taking ownership of it. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AJdude said:

Snitker messing with the psyche of his best player seems like overkill..  Could have chewed him out, but pulling him?  This kid plays full bore whenever I've seen him.  An unnecessary show-up by the manager.  Hope it doesn't affect him now.

 

 

 

He likes to linger sometimes which is okay when it's a no doubter but for iffy ones like this, you gotta hustle.   Some of the beat writers are saying that Snitker has previously talked to him about this. If that's true, pulling him was totally warranted. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Huge Braves and Acuna fan and it was absolutely the right call on Snitker's part.  Not only was the watching and trot to first ridiculous, a huge opportunity was missed to have runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs and Albies up.  Plus Fried was battling his tail off against the best hitters in baseball and didn't need that buzzkill of an inning.  

Luckily Braves won and I think this little incident will wind up being a positive for Acuna and the team in the long run.  

 

Edited by Palmetto08
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Bonus game @Coors today! Against a relatively unknown SP. Hopefully a nice way to start the week off.

Edited by OaksterDan
Grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hitting 192 the last two weeks, can't afford for him to slump this close to the playoffs 😩 let's hope he picks it back up for September! Relatively easy matchups the rest of the way (Minus two series vs Washington) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#SnitkerEffect

Embarrassing your best player for no reason by pulling him from the game instead of just chewing him out has derailed this kid's season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, AJdude said:

#SnitkerEffect

Embarrassing your best player for no reason by pulling him from the game instead of just chewing him out has derailed this kid's season.

 

Meh, he's tired. If you watch him, he's late on all fastballs, even ones as slow as 91-92.  Whole offense has been slumping, they recently had a 80 somethings wrc+ Seems like he just needs a breather.  If getting pulled from a game derails his season, that says more about Acuna than it does Snit.  What Snit did was not unreasonable at all. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, AJdude said:

#SnitkerEffect

Embarrassing your best player for no reason by pulling him from the game instead of just chewing him out has derailed this kid's season.

Anyone who’s “season is derailed” because of a benching for lack of hustle doesn’t have the mental fortitude to make it to the majors, let alone be its best player.  I doubt that’s the reason.  And if it is somehow, the manager was still in the right.   Young superstars can’t learn bad habits that will rub off on the rest of the team.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys are technically correct, but he is still only 21 years old.  I was still pouting at work at 31 when I felt slighted.  Could be a factor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, ty5592 said:

Getting tonight off. Hopefully this gets him going again 

It won't.  Snitker ruined his season by trying to alpha dog/show up his generational talent two weeks ago.  It sucked the joy out of the kid.  Was playing so loose and carefree and this clown Snitker comes along to "teach him a lesson" in the most egregious way possible by yanking him out of the middle of the game for making the mistake of watching one of his blasts.

Well, he sure is playing the game the right way now.  And OPSing .650.  

Much better than occassionally hot dogging it and OPSing .900, eh Snitzky?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, AJdude said:

It won't.  Snitker ruined his season by trying to alpha dog/show up his generational talent two weeks ago.  It sucked the joy out of the kid.  Was playing so loose and carefree and this clown Snitker comes along to "teach him a lesson" in the most egregious way possible by yanking him out of the middle of the game for making the mistake of watching one of his blasts.

Well, he sure is playing the game the right way now.  And OPSing .650.  

Much better than occassionally hot dogging it and OPSing .900, eh Snitzky?

 

 

 

LOL this is such a lame take.  You realize it wasn't a blast right?  It was a single.  You don't watch balls that aren't for sure out.  You hustle your a** out of the box and then jog if it clears.  You also realize this is on Acuna if he's truly pouting and ruining his season because of getting pulled mid-game? So lame. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 4catztoomany said:

 

LOL this is such a lame take.  You realize it wasn't a blast right?  It was a single.  You don't watch balls that aren't for sure out.  You hustle your a** out of the box and then jog if it clears.  You also realize this is on Acuna if he's truly pouting and ruining his season because of getting pulled mid-game? So lame. 

LOL hey right now my theory lines up....I would love to be proven wrong in the next four weeks.  But when you are doing something with unadulterated joy, and then a buzzkill authority figure comes along and embrasses you for doing it, human nature exacts a toll for that.  Especially in a sport like baseball that requires so much intangible factors like state to be successful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AJdude said:

LOL hey right now my theory lines up....I would love to be proven wrong in the next four weeks.  But when you are doing something with unadulterated joy, and then a buzzkill authority figure comes along and embrasses you for doing it, human nature exacts a toll for that.  Especially in a sport like baseball that requires so much intangible factors like state to be successful.

If your theory carries any weight, I missed the boat to sell Acuna. It was only a matter of time before the slightest bump in the road knocked him off course. You can't give the kid special treatment; he'll walk all over everybody in the organization for the next ten years. When's it start being a problem? When he's 25, lazy, blasting teammates in the media, and openly asking to be traded? You know how you train puppies to not jump, bite, and be obnoxious because at some point, it stops being cute. That's the case in all walks of life; you can't let him get away with something Charlie Culbertson, for example, can't. It'll fracture the clubhouse and lead to a mess. Snitker did right by the organization and by Acuna. He's just in a brief slump and will be fine.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hanghow said:

If your theory carries any weight, I missed the boat to sell Acuna. It was only a matter of time before the slightest bump in the road knocked him off course. You can't give the kid special treatment; he'll walk all over everybody in the organization for the next ten years. When's it start being a problem? When he's 25, lazy, blasting teammates in the media, and openly asking to be traded? You know how you train puppies to not jump, bite, and be obnoxious because at some point, it stops being cute. That's the case in all walks of life; you can't let him get away with something Charlie Culbertson, for example, can't. It'll fracture the clubhouse and lead to a mess. Snitker did right by the organization and by Acuna. He's just in a brief slump and will be fine.

You're right, but my real point-well, two-are these:

1)  Couldn't this have waited until after my fantasy season was over and 

2) Yes, but to me, pulling a guy mid-game is the ultimate embarrassment.  Bench him for the next game if that's the tack he wanted to take.  Embarrassing him mid-game carries with it lingering psychological after effects, which are now manifesting themselves in his performance subsequently.  Yes, we can all make the argument that if he can't handle that he shouldn't be a big leaguer etc.  Fine.  Maybe that's true.  But he's also a 21-year-old kid who probably has never been disciplined in such a harsh manner and is it worth employing that form of discipline-so public and humiliating-on a kid who plays care free and loose- rather than a quieter behind the scenes sort that could have sent the same message in a less humiliating way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Team Dynasty said:

Two more stolen bases today. 36 HR & 33 SB now on the year. Does he get to 40/40? I think so. 

Hope so but think he misses. Pretty cold right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, AJdude said:

You're right, but my real point-well, two-are these:

1)  Couldn't this have waited until after my fantasy season was over and 

2) Yes, but to me, pulling a guy mid-game is the ultimate embarrassment.  Bench him for the next game if that's the tack he wanted to take.  Embarrassing him mid-game carries with it lingering psychological after effects, which are now manifesting themselves in his performance subsequently.  Yes, we can all make the argument that if he can't handle that he shouldn't be a big leaguer etc.  Fine.  Maybe that's true.  But he's also a 21-year-old kid who probably has never been disciplined in such a harsh manner and is it worth employing that form of discipline-so public and humiliating-on a kid who plays care free and loose- rather than a quieter behind the scenes sort that could have sent the same message in a less humiliating way.

 

So this doesn't have anything to actually do with the game? its strictly on your fantasy season, got it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crotchcrickets said:

yea not quite sure he gets to 40 SBs.  gotta get on base to steal.

 

True, but I think it's safe to assume (and may be evidenced by his two SBs yesterday) that he is actively gunning for 40-40 at this point. We know earlier in the season he said he was aiming for 30-30, so those milestones are definitely on his radar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.