sngehl01

Alex Bregman 2019 Outlook

Incredible 2018 after a pretty slow start to the season. 1 HR and 9 2B in his first 34 games. After that? 

123 games, 42 2B, 30 HR, 93 R, 91 RBI, 74 BB, 66 K, 7 SB, .295/.400/.581 slash line. 169 wRC+

Comparing his #'s for the last year and a half put him right up there with the elites of the game. He's going to cost an early pick in 2019 (likely the back end of the first round). The SS/3B eligibility make that a bit safer of a pick, as it gives some flexibility later in the draft. Never a bad thing. 

Steamer has a pretty pathetic projection for the kind, in my opinion. 

The projection : 150 games, 25 HR, 94 R, 86 RBI, 11 SB, 11.5% BB%, 13.2% K%

I think you can buy him as a high floor, high ceiling guy. My "somewhat reasonable" expectation would be 

.285 batting average, 28 home runs, 100 runs, 90 RBI, 10 SB. I think that's a near floor across the board, but with upside as a .300/35/110/100/15 guy for standard 5x5 scoring, with a shot to maintain a .400 OBP, but obviously more likely to be around .380. 

• Like 1

stud and im willing to take him in the first round ahead of the likes of story, baez, machado etc

Springer Bregman combo...ahhh

Bregman is top 10 IMO. 42 doubles is incredible. 

I don't think his "floor" is exactly that high.  He goes through lapses where he is just terrible, like the aforementioned start of 2018 and lots of times during 2017.  But of course that 2nd half of 2018 has catapulted him into elite status.  Absolutely carried me in one league.  His upside is way more important than his floor.

Edited by KingJoffrey

10 hours ago, zstlj said:

Springer Bregman combo...ahhh

Bregman is top 10 IMO. 42 doubles is incredible. 

That was in that last 123 games. Had 51 doubles on the season. 

10 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

I don't think his "floor" is exactly that high.  He goes through lapses where he is just terrible, like the aforementioned start of 2018 and lots of times during 2017.  But of course that 2nd half of 2018 has catapulted him into elite status.  Absolutely carried me in one league.  His upside is way more important than his floor.

How many guys truly have a high floor if he doesn't? 

He played 157 games. His first 78 he batted .272/.376/.490 with a wRC+ of 142. The dude was hardly killing anyone the first "half." He still had 13 homers, 48 R, 47 RBI in that sample. 

Guy has a career .282/.366/.500 line. You can slice up his "bad" times all you want, but he's a developing player who has overcome some slumps. 

With his batted ball profile, plate approach, great lineup around him, and ability to steal bases absolutely makes him a high floor guy. It doesn't mean he's a lock to return first-round value (who is, really?). 

• Like 1

Plate discipline skills are elite, probably best in the league other than maybe Mookie, JoRam, or Votto. He lost 7 steals from 2017 to 2018, which might be alarming but I'm willing to overlook it. Hitting in an elite lineup, duel-eligibility,  INCREDIBLE plate skills, and gains in 3 consecutive seasons... He could be an MVP next season. 

Personally the top of my draft would go Trout, Mookie, Ramirez, Lindor, but anytime after that I can justify Bregman in that Machado/Turner/Arenado/Martinez range.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Saucy said:

Plate discipline skills are elite, probably best in the league other than maybe Mookie, JoRam, or Votto. He lost 7 steals from 2017 to 2018, which might be alarming but I'm willing to overlook it. Hitting in an elite lineup, duel-eligibility,  INCREDIBLE plate skills, and gains in 3 consecutive seasons... He could be an MVP next season. 

Personally the top of my draft would go Trout, Mookie, Ramirez, Lindor, but anytime after that I can justify Bregman in that Machado/Turner/Arenado/Martinez range.

agree with this 100% and im throwing yelich in that bregman/machado range too

• Like 1