Sign in to follow this  
KingJoffrey

Mallex Smith 2019 Outlook

Just traded today for Mike Zunino and Guillermo Heredia with a few minor leaguers involved.

What am I missing that the Rays would be willing to make this sort of deal?

Mallex smith provided sneaky good value in both fantasy and real life with a  .367 OBP and 40 SBs.  The defense was a little below avg by some metrics.  But Zunino was terrible last year.  

Mariners not known for being a big running team, wonder if this hurts or helps Mallex.  

At this point, I think Delta maintains a daily flight just to shuttle players back and forth between the Mariners and Rays.

I think he's going to run.  You don't acquire a weapon like that and not use it, especially if you're rebuilding and don't care if it hurts your record a little bit.  The problem I have is the lineup.  Rays somehow cobbled together the 6th highest wRC+ in baseball last season, while Seattle's looking to sell anything that's not nailed down.  I'd temper expectations for R and RBI, but it depends on how creative Dipoto gets with selling off his pricier assets.

56 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

Just traded today for Mike Zunino and Guillermo Heredia with a few minor leaguers involved.

Mallex smith provided sneaky good value in both fantasy and real life with a  .367 OBP and 40 SBs.  The defense was a little below avg by some metrics.  But Zunino was terrible last year.  

Mariners not known for being a big running team, wonder if this hurts or helps Mallex.  

Good question, and I hate to employ the logical fallacy of an appeal to authority, but the Rays are a very smartly run franchise.

We may be underestimating Zunino's defense and how terrible the catcher position is and may be overestimating Smith's value during the HR revolution. 

Welcome to baseball hell young man.  You thought playing in front of 17 people in Tampa was bad?  Wait until you don’t sniff the playoffs your whole career.  Hope you can get out of here sooner than later you didn’t deserve this.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, svdude said:

Opens up things for Meadows in TB too.

That was my first thought too.  Yeah this move helps Austin Meadows' playing time greatly.   And Mallex should get more playing time too since wasn't Guillermo Heredia like Seattle's third outfielder or something?  Maybe I'm wrong.  All I know about Seattle outfielders are Haniger and Dee Gordon.  And it sounds like Dee is on the trade block too.

And Cmilne23, at least Mallex can see the sky with a RETRACTABLE roof out your way.  Nature.  Fresh air.  The Trop is not only the ugliest stadium since the old Minnesota Baggydome but also it looks like the darkest and most gloomy on TV anyway.  Also, no catwalks!  That is one thing for you to hang on to out there.  No catwalks in Seattle!  Now THAT would be the final straw.

How many teams has Mallex been on in his short career?  Atlanta was one but I keep thinking there was another team too.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

Smith had a terrific 2nd half and is only 25.  His plate discipline improved tremendously in the 2nd half posting a 38/24 K/BB ratio, a .311 AVG (.390 OBP) and he stole 24 bases.  A full season of that kind of production makes him very valuable in today's AVG and steals starved leagues.  He was going to bat leadoff for Tamps so R would be decent.  It remains to be seen where he bats for Seattle.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

Zunino is an elite defender, and the Rays are catcher needy and must think Meadows is ready.

7 minutes ago, Saucy said:

Zunino is an elite defender, and the Rays are catcher needy and must think Meadows is ready.

Meadows did okay in his short stint in the majors last year hitting .287 in 179 ABs.  I don't know how many of them were with the Pirates and how many with TB but I know TB sent him down to the minors to put a brake on service time some but he was up at the end of the season.  Mallex is a speed guy only basically while Meadows is a future "all round" guy.   Not superman by any stretch but a nice balance.  6 homers and 5 steals in those 179 ABs mainly with the Pirates.

Since Dee Gordon is on the trade block then Mallex is their Dee replacement it looks like.  Guess they are hoping he will be Dee Lite.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory