svdude

Austin Meadows 2019 Outlook

Looks like the trade of Mallex Smith should open up a starting spot in the OF for Meadows.

Steamer has him at .264 with 17 HR and 16 SB in 134 Games.  

Excited to see what he will be able to do with full time AB's.  Where does he bat in that lineup?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

I'm sure they will still find a way to keep him down for more "seasoning"

He already has 178 AB's at the major league level even after Tampa Bay kept him down some after trading for him so I don't see why he doesn't break camp with them Opening Day at this point post-Mallex Smith.

Does the signing of Garcia potentially impact his PT? I can't imagine that being the case since Garcia is not a good fielder, and he seems like a barely serviceable DH. Meadows has major sleeper potential if hes given the PT. 

Steamer projections seem to think the Garcia signing will impact all the TB OF's.  Projected games after signing - Kiermeier 115, Pham 110, Meadows 104.  Can't recall what they were before (130-140 range I think), but they have gone down quite a bit.  

1 hour ago, klove42 said:

Does the signing of Garcia potentially impact his PT? I can't imagine that being the case since Garcia is not a good fielder, and he seems like a barely serviceable DH. Meadows has major sleeper potential if hes given the PT. 

I really like Meadows this yr - wont go over a late rd flyer though as I just dont trust TB to keep him with the team and give him the full time job he deserves....good news is he should be cheap and if he does I see a lot of upside

1 hour ago, Big Tuna said:

I really like Meadows this yr - wont go over a late rd flyer though as I just dont trust TB to keep him with the team and give him the full time job he deserves....good news is he should be cheap and if he does I see a lot of upside

Why don't you think TB will give the shot to Meadows? 

I’m really high on Meadows this year given the playing time. There’s a lot to like in his profile as a high contact, good speed, increasing power outfielder. The Rays running out Pham, Kiermaier, Meadows gives them one of the best outfields in the AL imo. 

Meadows contact rates is one of the things I’m most excited about. He struck out at a decent clip (20%) last year but I think that’s higher than we will see in 2019.  He only swung and missed 7.7% of the time and had great contact rates on balls in the zone, and he doesn’t chase much. As a high BABIP guy with some speed he should easily reach .280 this year in near full time ABs, 450+. Add on 17+ HR and 15+ SB (which he had a great success rate on in 2018 between AAA/MLB) and he’s going to be pretty solid. 

I cant see a scenario that 1) all the Rays outfielders stay healthy 2) they bench him for Garcia and whoever is DH’ing. He may sit v tough LHP but in dailies you wouldn’t roll him out anyway. 

Is there any reason that he wouldn't get full p/t??

1 hour ago, lavaman said:

Not that I can see. I mean KK, Pham, Meadows easily gives them their best shot to win. Garcia will DH and get some starts in the OF but none of the 3 starters (meadows included) are the picture of health so I think some via attrition. 

5 hours ago, lavaman said:

Brandon Lowe

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Lowe is a 2B first and foremost.

General manager Erik Neander said Lowe is in the mix of outfielders competing for a spot on the Rays' Opening Day roster, Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports.

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2019 at 9:01 AM, svdude said:

Steamer projections seem to think the Garcia signing will impact all the TB OF's.  Projected games after signing - Kiermeier 115, Pham 110, Meadows 104.  Can't recall what they were before (130-140 range I think), but they have gone down quite a bit.  

I think Avi will DH primarily 

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Lowe is a 2B first and foremost.

Roster resource has him as 2B/LF. So maybe OF is an option. There's quite a few guys that do 2B/OF

• Like 2

On 1/25/2019 at 10:01 AM, svdude said:

I can't see Pham only playing 110 games if he's healthy, he's their best hitter, Streamer is off on this one

Avisail Garcia is nothing. I’m not worried about a player that I don’t think has a very good chance of doing much. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taobball said:

Avisail Garcia is nothing. I’m not worried about a player that I don’t think has a very good chance of doing much. 

It was an odd move to see the Rays, as such a highly analytical org, go after him. I’m thinking they must see something that they can unlock. I wouldn’t imagine that he takes away any at bats for Pham or Meadows this year other than vs the occasional lefty for Meadows or KK. Meadows actually had reverse splits last year interestingly. 

I really think Meadows has a chance to slightly break out this year and put up some solid numbers. I’ve always been a big fan of his hit tool and felt that he was going to be a stud once he got healthy and matured. I could see a .278/22hr/16sb or so line from him.

Edited by tywalson

4 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

May I also recommend? Google.com?

Hah.  Well I have both of these sites bookmarked so I agree.  But I thought it was funny Baseball Reference keeps a handy age by year+days so you don't have to do the "days" math ... not that I ever wanted to.

Take away his awful 2017 and did what he did last year I think he's drafted as a top 100 player going into drafts. I chalk up 2017 as a learning experience for him and look at the rest of his development and with a better team context this year. 

• Like 2

Rosterresources has him batting 7th behind Adames with Kiermaier leading off.

Admaes is sneaky good but Kiermaier and Meadows are close.

Hopefully Meadows can take a step forward this year and take that leadoff role.